Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a set of plans/ dimensions for the underside of the tank?

im talking to an alu tank fabricator. There’s a possibility of getting a few made if I can work out the logistics.

will be basing the tank on the 450 R/T shape to fit the modern base using the existing hardware

·
Registered
954 Posts
The best thing to do would probably be to get an existing tank 3D scanned and converted to a CAD file that the fabricator could use.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don’t believe that technology is available to me down here in southern Tas. I was hoping there be a drawing or something that had the dimensions of how the tank sits on the frame

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does anyone have a spare tank or have their tank off and can take some measurements?
I’m hoping to avoid taking mine off

·
Registered
54 Posts
You will get more precise measurements and data if you remove your tank yourself.
I took mine off a few months ago and it was quite easy. There’s a great video on YouTube now as well. The clip that some are afraid off, is actually quite easy (although tightly located).
I had my doubts before taking it off, but took my time and it went well.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I was to get one made - and therefore test the concept - do you think there’d be much interest from scrambler owners. It’s really the base that looks tricky - once that it complete there’s a variety of styles you could employ. I’m guessing the standard and 400 tank would be most popular.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
If I was to get one made - and therefore test the concept - do you think there’d be much interest from scrambler owners. It’s really the base that looks tricky - once that it complete there’s a variety of styles you could employ. I’m guessing the standard and 400 tank would be most popular.
I'm not sure there would, outside of a small group of tinkerers with deep pockets – what would be the benefits to changing the tank, my tank seems to work fine if you catch my drift? Anyone interested in a new colour scheme can just have their standard tanks sprayed at a no doubt cheaper rate.

·
Registered
954 Posts
The existing tank already has several design elements that relate back to the original Scrambler tank I can't see very many people wanting to spend what would no doubt be a substantial amount of money for what may be a relatively small change to the look of the bike. I could see some Desert Sled owners being interested in a larger capacity tank as long as the value for money equation worked out okay.
You might want to investigate the accessory suppliers in Thailand. I would be surprised if you can't already source replacement tanks from there as they have a huge industry there that manufacturers all sorts of replacement parts for bikes of the style of the Scrambler.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Today’s Scrambler has more sex appeal and closer to a street fighter than its predecessor which was a skinny trail bike.
I like the stock tank but I do not love it. The 2 front tank mounts, idea taken from the original Scrambler are horrendous.
I’d love to have more body options.
I’d encourage you to keep the idea alive...... but have one made for yourself, your own project....that be so cool! No guts no glory!
The following for a little inspiration:

40D2A785-12DE-4CFA-A0E6-77DAB81C2F61.png

·
Registered
46 Posts
Does anyone have a spare tank or have their tank off and can take some measurements?
I’m hoping to avoid taking mine off
Easy to take off I wouldn't get bothered about it, just unbolt and disconnect everything. Scanner is the way to go get it perfect then and you can hand the file to the fabricator to put into their computer to pump it out CAM machine.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'd be interested to know what sort of cost you're looking at. The bottom isn't simple by any means. Looking at a few different tank conversions online (such as from Bad Winners above, also Hookie - but not just specifically for the scrambler) I think you'd have more success fabricating a simple tank that aligns to the mounting points and then wrap it in a shell made out of plastic/fiberglass/whatever. Pretty big effort investment there though. As K1W1 mentioned if it was a long-range tank (like a mix between the standard acerbis models for other bikes and that Ducati concept from 2019) I think you'd be able to get a bit of a following.

I've been lazily researching what sort of options are out there for fairing/bodywork in general (3D print vs vacuum mould vs fiberglass vs aluminium) and I think 3D printing is the most interesting avenue if you don't have fabrication experience (and don't want to upskill in that area).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Good idea tiltos. Just slap on release agent on the tank and cover sections at a time with fibreglass, then join them together. From there you can set up a mould in styrofoam to change the shape to increase capacity. You could even do it on a computer and get it modelled, then you have the final shape. Might be a bit too heavy in fibreglass to get the strength though. I will try it though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts