Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As requested by MaxKool – Open that other thread please? I've read a few cases of failing clutches, which makes me worrry

(that guy doing a world round trip on a DS is currently also in clutch troubles)
I went on a 300k ride last weekend and as I was accelerating on to the freeway heading back home I heard and felt the revs rise without the accompanying projection forward of the bike. Grrrr.

I played with the throttle a little (when I found some safe space on the freeway I hasten to add) and it seems my clutch is slipping.

Took it easy and landed home thinking I'd take a look at the adjustment*. I haven't checked this since getting the bike as I don't get much time to pile the miles on. Hence me only being at ~7500kms (4660 miles). Not sure if that's an oversight on my behalf but I figure at the average yearly miles I clock up the shop can take care of all those little adjustments (chain etc). It does go in every year.

Bear in mind I'm not massively mechanical but I do tinker a little (dad had a garage). The 2-3mm play in the clutch lever is non-existent. Sadly the cable adjuster is screwed in right up to the perch so I'm thinking at the handle bars there's nothing left. I looked under the tank on the right and I'm not sure with my little knowledge I want to go there. It's pretty tightly cable tied to the frame and obviously has a very snug weather cover over the adjuster. Should I bite the bullet, especially as I called the dealership I use (the only official Duke place near me) and they're booked up till June!

Had a chat with the service department (*before I checked the adjustment actually) and they said they'd have to check everything was adjusted correctly and make a decision their end, hinting the best I could possibly hope for was a good will gesture from Ducati, i.e. I get the part free and pay the labour. I'd be relatively happy with that to be honest but I'm not holding my breath.

That's my story so far and I haven't got a solution as yet so this thread may peter out but I'll attempt updates as and when there's more to add.

Mechanical folk – could adjusting up and dialing back in the lever play fix this 'sensation' or is the fact the lever is without any slack the cause of actual clutch wear?

·
Registered
278 Posts
The rev rise is clutch slippage. Once all the adjustment at the lever is gone, there is adjustment in the cable under the tank. Excessive clutch slippage will wear it out. If you have the manual, there is a decent description of how to do it. Otherwise, your mechanic can do it (no more than a half hour I'd think).

My ICON has 20K miles and I haven't had to go to the under tank adjustment. In my experience wet clutches are very durable. Keep it adjusted and it will last a long time.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rev rise is clutch slippage. Once all the adjustment at the lever is gone, there is adjustment in the cable under the tank. Excessive clutch slippage will wear it out. If you have the manual, there is a decent description of how to do it. Otherwise, your mechanic can do it (no more than a half hour I'd think).

My ICON has 20K miles and I haven't had to go to the under tank adjustment. In my experience wet clutches are very durable. Keep it adjusted and it will last a long time.
Given I can't see the garage until June I'll buy some cable ties and see what I can do. Thanks Aldntn. I do have the manual.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^ Reet. I've adjusted everything to how it should be by peeing around where the cable runs under the tank, having found a couple of spare cable ties and some really nasty adjustable spanners! Very easy so thanks all. Now all I need to do is find a window of opportunity to go for a spin. fingers crossed unall that.

I'm surprised there was no adjustment left at the bars. If the shop adjust up the clutch I would expect them to do that on the cable and leave punters some room for adjustment at the bars. It also looks like I'm pretty close to having no adjustment left – the main adjuster under the tank is wound fully to the lock nut which is as far along the threads as it can go and I have about 5mm of thread on the adjuster left at the bars now (it was zero before).

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just replaced my clutch plates at 19K. Had the same slipping problem and kept adjusting the play using both the handlebar and under tank adjustment nuts until there was no play left. I didn't have it done at Ducati dealership and instead got aftermarket parts that are supposedly more durable. The shop that did the replacement tells me early clutch burn out is common on the Scramblers. Anyway, post replacement I feel a helluva lot more power!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The adjustment seems to have worked for me, though I've not hit a decent freeway yet so I'll just keep an eye on the lever play like I should have done in the first place! Can't imagine I've created much extra wear but I guess I'll see sometime in the future.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I just replaced my clutch plates at 19K. Had the same slipping problem and kept adjusting the play using both the handlebar and under tank adjustment nuts until there was no play left. I didn't have it done at Ducati dealership and instead got aftermarket parts that are supposedly more durable. The shop that did the replacement tells me early clutch burn out is common on the Scramblers. Anyway, post replacement I feel a helluva lot more power!
which aftermarket clutch(brand) did you bought?
miles with new clutch?

·
Registered
46 Posts
My clutch starting slipping around 19 T miles and at 20 T miles was very bad--tried to get Ducati to fix it but my dealer said he'd never heard of the problem and anyway it is a "wear" item. In other words--no warranty. Talked to some guy in Duc hdqtrs and he stated same. I told both of them that if their clutch can't stand a 79 year old man using it they have a big problem. Anyway I installed a Barrnete and it is great. A much more crisp feel and of course no slip. Probably be the last ducati I buy, not because of age cause I change bikes about every year. Just the poor deal I received from a "Premier " brand.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My clutch starting slipping around 19 T miles and at 20 T miles was very bad--tried to get Ducati to fix it but my dealer said he'd never heard of the problem and anyway it is a "wear" item. In other words--no warranty. Talked to some guy in Duc hdqtrs and he stated same. I told both of them that if their clutch can't stand a 79 year old man using it they have a big problem. Anyway I installed a Barrnete and it is great. A much more crisp feel and of course no slip. Probably be the last ducati I buy, not because of age cause I change bikes about every year. Just the poor deal I received from a "Premier " brand.
Great to hear from another "senior rider"
Remember...... you don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Hi,
Did you replace the whole basket of just the clutch plates?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts