Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon fellow Snatchy Scrambler sufferers.
My tale of woe is long and involved ,so I will try and condense .
Firstly I am an experienced rider of some 50 yrs ( on bikes ) I also have a varied collection of bikes ,4 of which are Ducatis .
I road tested a new Scrambler and found I could not ride iit safely using one hand ,in fact had Inot been experienced the bike and myself would have jumped into the river WHARFE.
I was told by the dealership that this bike was indeed a one off and assured me all would be okay .
I then bought a new icon .
This bike behaved much as the demonstrator .
The dealership had it back /tested it /assured me ALL was good . SEE YOU BYE .
I persisted WITH THE SNATCHY RUNNING , I even fitted a BOOSTER PLUG , this proved ineffective and was returned .
I was introduced by SMC of Sheffield to CORNERSPEED of Mansfield ( DUCATI TUNER ).
They remapped the fuelling ( to race ) logo on clock).
I again persisted, but the problem ,although lesser now ,still existed .
Cornerspeed suggested a throttle tamer ( which they had used in trialling with some success ), I ordered this part ,and fitted ( very nice too ,+ matching red /black grips ).
A mixture of ill health and atrocious weather set in for the next 2 months ( ENGLAND EH).
I ventured out on the ICON 2016 last week ,the exercise was to try this `TAMER`and find tank range /seat comfort range .All of which I had found lacking .
THE CONCLUSION , at last .
I found the `TAMER` to work to a mediocre degree , but an improvement none the less .
I also found the horrors tto start at 4000rpm , below this or above the snatchy problems are insignificant.
DEFINATELY NOTRIDE one handed with the throttle in an open accelerating mode COS when it BITES you will loose the bike ,as I NEARLY DID APPROACHING A JUNCTION .
I was luckily on a country `B` road surrounded by none fenced cornfields ( now a trip to M-S ).
I think the SCRAMBLER range are a brill concept ,let down by EU3/4 regs ,a poor seat and small tank ,although I managed 124 miles before low fuel light .
I am to investigate the `SLED` THROTTLE ` and see if interchangeable .
After all ,it cant be above rocket science to fix ,.
rangerover.

60 Posts
Hi and welcome to the site,
I totally agree with you about the snitch Throttle, all those Videos showing the rider standing up and having a great time lol !
There are lots of roundabouts near me and they are a challenge to ride around, stick to 1st gear and keep revs high, use 2md and slip the clutch a bit, ? the options are endless, I muddle by and live to tell the tale, but its not fun is it :(

So I ordered both the booster plug, and the G2 Tamer, the booster plug is already installed (this afternoon) and am about to test it, but idle is better and I can pull away on tick over very easily now.

Its basically the On/Off power delivery using 1st and 2nd gear which makes it a pain.

I haven't ridden a Desert Sledd yet, but that's the bike I'm hoping to upgrade to later this year / early next year.

·
Registered
151 Posts
My 65 year old father says the same thing about my Icon. He hates it and it is a constant source of amusement for me. He's been riding for close to 50 years and tries to ride it like every other bike he's ever ridden. I try and tell him to keep it above 4k and he just can't do it.

He lugs the thing around in low revs and shifts before 4k. I convinced him to try it again last week. The thing stuttered and twitched as he shifted into 2nd gear before he even left the driveway.

It fuels like a modern Ducati. The powerband is 4-6k. Keep it there regardless of gear and it's all good.

I will admit, I don't care to cruise in neighborhood speeds in 1st gear. Feels funny to be doing 25mph and roaring around 5 or 6k RPM, but 2nd gear at 25mph will stutter and surge at or under 4k...so I keep it in 1st.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Surprised here.

Got a 2017 Desert Sled, and it's buttery smooth, really. Compared to my DR650SE, it actually feels significantly softer at lower throttle openings.

Btw, over the years I did re-learn to use the rear brake at lower speeds, just like we were taught in riding school doing our slaloms, figure eight, etc. Keep the throttle a few mils open, and modulate speed with the rear brake, not with the clutch. Improves stability and takes out some of the snatchyness out of the throttle (basically because you don't completely close it). This helps a lot on any bike.

60 Posts
well I'm back from a 30 min ride out, with the booster plug fitted just today.
Gear changes seem smoother, and there's a real slight difference in the on/off throttle. So its made things slightly better.
Bear in mind I don't see over 4000rpm as I'm still running in and I'm one of those who will do 25mph in 2nd gear keeping the revs low which reading everyone's posts, is not the best rev range to be in, even though there's lots of torque low down, it seems to be best freely revving a bit higher. Cant wait to see 6000 RPM this should come alive !

Reactions: Sprint1500
60 Posts
I'm too kind, I'm thinking about future owners ;)

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I have the race mode on mine with the termi can and have no issues with the throttle, maybe the odd time with the Mrs on the back but I do have both hands on the bars.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Good afternoon fellow Snatchy Scrambler sufferers.
My tale of woe is long and involved ,so I will try and condense .
Firstly I am an experienced rider of some 50 yrs ( on bikes ) I also have a varied collection of bikes ,4 of which are Ducatis .
I road tested a new Scrambler and found I could not ride iit safely using one hand ,in fact had Inot been experienced the bike and myself would have jumped into the river WHARFE.
I was told by the dealership that this bike was indeed a one off and assured me all would be okay .
I then bought a new icon .
This bike behaved much as the demonstrator .
The dealership had it back /tested it /assured me ALL was good . SEE YOU BYE .
I persisted WITH THE SNATCHY RUNNING , I even fitted a BOOSTER PLUG , this proved ineffective and was returned .
I was introduced by SMC of Sheffield to CORNERSPEED of Mansfield ( DUCATI TUNER ).
They remapped the fuelling ( to race ) logo on clock).
I again persisted, but the problem ,although lesser now ,still existed .
Cornerspeed suggested a throttle tamer ( which they had used in trialling with some success ), I ordered this part ,and fitted ( very nice too ,+ matching red /black grips ).
A mixture of ill health and atrocious weather set in for the next 2 months ( ENGLAND EH).
I ventured out on the ICON 2016 last week ,the exercise was to try this `TAMER`and find tank range /seat comfort range .All of which I had found lacking .
THE CONCLUSION , at last .
I found the `TAMER` to work to a mediocre degree , but an improvement none the less .
I also found the horrors tto start at 4000rpm , below this or above the snatchy problems are insignificant.
DEFINATELY NOTRIDE one handed with the throttle in an open accelerating mode COS when it BITES you will loose the bike ,as I NEARLY DID APPROACHING A JUNCTION .
I was luckily on a country `B` road surrounded by none fenced cornfields ( now a trip to M-S ).
I think the SCRAMBLER range are a brill concept ,let down by EU3/4 regs ,a poor seat and small tank ,although I managed 124 miles before low fuel light .
I am to investigate the `SLED` THROTTLE ` and see if interchangeable .
After all ,it cant be above rocket science to fix ,.
rangerover.
Don't forget you can get different cams for the Throttle Tamers - may be worth looking at an even tamer cam. You probably have the 600xx as standard.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I'm too kind, I'm thinking about future owners ;)
Lugging around is the best and quickest way to ruin a new engine, I'm not saying to rev the nuts off it but whatever you do, don't labour the engine.
I could go into all sorts of technical reasons but the one most people get when made aware is the fact that every Ducati goes on the rolling road at the end of the production line and ridden through the whole rev range in every gear. I've actually stood and watched them do it.
If you think you're doing anyone a favour by babying your engine then to be honest, you're too late.
I would recommend just drive it as per normal (knock it back a bit if your a screamer) and let the engine spin freely.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm 60 and have owned a bunch of motocross and enduro bikes.....never a street bike. So after not being on a bike for 25 years I got a Scrambler as a Christmas present. I rode a demo bike and felt that it was really hard to ride with the throttle. I was kind of embarrassed. Fortunately reading these forums makes you aware of the issues and solutions. I didn't like the stock gearing on the highway so I changed out the front sprocket to a 16 tooth. I also did a LeoVince slip on, Power Commander and had local race tuner do a remap. I think they geared this bike to accommodate the off road claims but I personally don't see this as an off road machine. That being said, the gear change really made the snatchy throttle issue go away and the exhaust and the fuel mods seem to help keep it crisp and smooth it out. I've got about 1100 miles on it now and I've adapted to the throttle. BTW...80 - 90 mph is nice and comfy now on the highways. It's Ducati and even though it's sort of an entry level bike I don't think it's meant to put around like a Harley.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well I'm back from a 30 min ride out, with the booster plug fitted just today.
Gear changes seem smoother, and there's a real slight difference in the on/off throttle. So its made things slightly better.
Bear in mind I don't see over 4000rpm as I'm still running in and I'm one of those who will do 25mph in 2nd gear keeping the revs low which reading everyone's posts, is not the best rev range to be in, even though there's lots of torque low down, it seems to be best freely revving a bit higher. Cant wait to see 6000 RPM this should come alive !

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good morning my fellow SNATCHY SCRAMBLER FRIENDS, also hello again ARMO .
I have tried the BOOSTER PLUG but found no improvement and I sent iit back to suppliers ( do you still have your spare one ARMO).
My ICON has the `stubby` termignoni ,the tuning has been reset to `race`, I do like a few revs and find that Ducatis do like revs .
IF I MAY take you guys back 50 yrs , the 250 /350 narrow case range came out .
A FABULOUS BIKE , but when bought by the BSA -ARIAL-AJS british rider ,the bikes started to break /sieze etc .
ONLY BECAUSE THEY WERE STARVED OF OIL, caused by `slugging ` around in low revs .
DUCATIS NEED REVS .
My ICON does work better in a low gear with some revs on the clock , the problem with the throttle mechanism is the fly-by-wire system where the ECU is always searching .
AT high-ish revs the ECU detects sufficient fueling and all is good .
WHEN AT LOW REVS the ECU doesn't know when or where to supply fuel = the snatch .
I came back from SMC at SHEFFIELD on Saturday ,I decided thata cruise along a bit of motorway would give me back my feelgood factor .
Sure enough ,tucked behind my screen I felt quite happy up at 80s-90s .
But once settled in at these speeds the
snatching started again ( not nice ).
Because the ECU had settled down and gone back to search mode .
I went out to SQUIRES last night on my ST4S ,and what a difference total sublimity .
YOUALL MAY SAY, it is a totally difrnt bike .
Which it is ,but how can DUCATI make a highly tuned 996 SUPERBIKE engine work as docile as a donkey ,and NOT make an 803 TOY behave equaly the same .
That is the EU to thank .
Will you be at SQUIRES on Wednesday ARMO.
I WILL BE ON ST4S if you are going .
Rangerover

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've got two, neither are fly by wire, cable straight to throttle body.
Fuelling is a very different thing, Look up closed loop.
Yep, had a narrow (& wide) case single or two, owned Brit before, no issues seizing or breaking, "lectrics were a bit howsyerfather, wot's changed ?
G2 throttle is cheap fix for problem , 2017 OE does even more

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've got two, neither are fly by wire, cable straight to throttle body.
Fuelling is a very different thing, Look up closed loop.
Yep, had a narrow (& wide) case single or two, owned Brit before, no issues seizing or breaking, "lectrics were a bit howsyerfather, wot's changed ?
G2 throttle is cheap fix for problem , 2017 OE does even more
Thank you for your reply .
My reference to the 250/350 Ducati singles was to elaborate on the need to use a few revs as opposed to `slugging` around ..
I shall look closely at `closed loop `.
rangerover .

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Hi Range Rover,

I was there last week with the wife for a Cornish pasty, not sure if I'll be there Wednesday as finishing the garden after work but might have a ride over at the weekend.
Cheers
Armo

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Range Rover,

I was there last week with the wife for a Cornish pasty, not sure if I'll be there Wednesday as finishing the garden after work but might have a ride over at the weekend.
Cheers
Armo
Hello AMO, I had a Cornish an a` coffee` last night .
what AN INSULT to my intestines ,I have not had such rubbish since HARRY had the place .
I WOULD LIKE TO TRY ( AGAIN) the BOOSTER PLUG , do you still have your spare one for me to try .( what do you know of closed loop ???)
Again ,good to here from you .
range rover

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Hello AMO, I had a Cornish an a` coffee` last night .
what AN INSULT to my intestines ,I have not had such rubbish since HARRY had the place .
I WOULD LIKE TO TRY ( AGAIN) the BOOSTER PLUG , do you still have your spare one for me to try .( what do you know of closed loop ???)
Again ,good to here from you .
range rover
Hi,
I sold the booster plug after I sold my first scrambler, I suppose even with the race ecu it can be snatchy if your not used to it but after 2 years and 5000 miles it's pretty smooth now.
I actually like the Cornish pasties:pottytrain5:

·
Registered
36 Posts
I found the throttle too responsive (i changed my view from snatchy to responsive after miles on the bike) for my liking also.

Ducati fitted the G2, the one I bought was sitting on the shelf a while so had a 400 cam on it after checking with G2 guys.

It smoothed the mid range out great but below 2500 rpm was snatchy.

300 miles later, I'm getting on fine with it adapted my driving style a little but otherwise great.

I probably buy the 600 cam for the sake if it and try 1 day G2 said it is even less aggressive.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi and welcome to the site,
I totally agree with you about the snitch Throttle, all those Videos showing the rider standing up and having a great time lol !
There are lots of roundabouts near me and they are a challenge to ride around, stick to 1st gear and keep revs high, use 2md and slip the clutch a bit, ? the options are endless, I muddle by and live to tell the tale, but its not fun is it :(

So I ordered both the booster plug, and the G2 Tamer, the booster plug is already installed (this afternoon) and am about to test it, but idle is better and I can pull away on tick over very easily now.

Its basically the On/Off power delivery using 1st and 2nd gear which makes it a pain.
Good morning Gentlemen AND Ladies.
I did a lot of digging yesterday on our behalf .
The results are as follows :- Moto Rapido UK (workshop) say ,aalthough they have done no work on the Scrambler, the problem seems to be the ECU . This being established as the cable is purely mechanical ,and variations ( spasmodic )come from the ECU which when in a constant open setting ,ie, 4000 rpm ,will start to look for an instruction ,again ,ie, do I send fuel or not ,resulting in a surge /snatch .
The workshop will take the bike in and remap etc at £ 1000.
After a talk with MOTO RAPIDO spares dept ,they tell me the throttle cable for the Scrambler AND Sled ARE SAME PART NUMBERS, but the Scrambler AND Sled have DIFFERENT ECUs ,the Sled is `softer` , but at £1000+for a Sled ECU I find both options restrictive .
The people I spoke to at MOTO RAPIDO were ANDY ( works ) and PHIL(spares).
I HAVE `LOOKED UP ` OPEN LOOP .
This has spurred me on a tad to further investigations .
In my working life I was a plumber and heating engineer ( old school ) where if a problem arose ,then it would have to be methodically solved , and thought out .
My Scrambler problem is a mixture of `old school` AND new technology .
My theory is `WHY 'does it snatch ( there MUST be a reason ).
ANNSWER = Technology ,or more to the point EU4 REGS .
I SHALL OVERCOME ,THEN LET YOU ALL KNOW .
rangerover .

I haven't ridden a Desert Sledd yet, but that's the bike I'm hoping to upgrade to later this year / early next year.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts