Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kinda buried inside this article:

"[Ed: Ducati says the Desert Sled will continue to ship until June 2023, then be discontinued. We are waiting to hear about other Gen 1 models]."

I can't find any other news or confirmation on this. Was looking to update my 2018 for a new one next year, is this the last year of the sled?

· Registered
1,187 Posts
The Desert Sled uses a different frame and swing arm to the rest of the Scrambler range. It was introduced over 12 months after the original Scrambler models and I expect without inside knowledge that the same thing will happen again. The new Sled will be introduced as a 2024 model.

· Registered
1,187 Posts
Hope that's the case, doesn't sound like they even teased it when they announced the new models.
They never teased it when the original Scrambler was released. It almost came out of nowhere.
I doubt Ducati would drop it completely it is popular and it gives them an entry bike into the Desert X and Multistrada ranges. Ceasing production in June 2023 would tie up exactly with then starting production of a 2024 bike that usually commences in the August//September period.

· Registered
23 Posts
Sounds like the DS is discontinued. Now, I don't have insider info but based on my experience in the industry AND this...

"The rear shock is now centered in the rear wheel well instead of being off to the side..."

This is quite the big deal. Unless Ducati is willing to re-engineer rear suspension for the "red-headed" stepchild of the (other) Ducati's, itb sounds like the final Sleds are being built and sold off.

I believe that the focus is now on the big Desert X and a future ¾ sized variant. Kind of like that Austrian company? Or maybe like Honda? (think TransAlp)

Maybe it's time to savor our unique Desert Sleds. Quite frankly, in the San Francisco Bay Area I have only seen two. And one was mine. They are quite rare. Probably not big sellers either.

KTM 790 vs T7 vs Desert Sled. They all cost similar enough but the level of performance is very different. The DS really is a poser Enduro. But I'm cool with that notion because I have the other brands.

If you love them and can buy a new one, buy it.

Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Motorcycle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

· Registered
1,187 Posts
The only flaw in the argument is that the existing Desert Sled has a re engineered model specific frame and swing arm so if Ducati dud that for the current model why is it impossible to think they would do it for a new model?

· Registered
23 Posts
The difference is that the change was an upgrade to a flaw.

The "side" shock design was more design than performance. And it worked for an exploratory dive into the trendy and entry level luxury motorcycle market.

Now that the bike has shown to have a following, Ducati has whittled down the Scrambler line-up to fit the actual Ducati line-up.

Remember... the Scrambler was the bike that was NOT loved. Even at the Annual IMS, the Scrambler was displayed seperate and far away from the red goddesses. (Sportbikes and tourers)

The Scrambler worked. It brought in a new group of enthusiasts and opened the door to the Desert X.

My feelings are not hurt. It's just good business. But then.... I may be completely wrong and Ducati will retool and spend way too much money and technology on a bike that doesn't competitively compete with anything.

Cheers

· Registered
1,187 Posts
Scrambler is Ducatis largest selling range by a long way in terms of numbers.
Ducati are trying to create Scrambler as a separate brand in the same way Toyota have Lexus for example that is why the bikes are shown on their own with their own branding.

· Registered
23 Posts
The Scrambler is a great bike. It's an entry level bike into Ducati.

Although I wouldn't compare the Scrambler to Lexus. Maybe Scion. And Scion only had three initial models. The XA, XB and tC were designed to bring in the Millennial buyers. The Scramblers are to attract the Gen-Z.
It's all good. But I still think the DS is on its way out.

· Registered
2015 Scrambler Icon
27 Posts
The difference is that the change was an upgrade to a flaw.

The "side" shock design was more design than performance. And it worked for an exploratory dive into the trendy and entry level luxury motorcycle market.

Now that the bike has shown to have a following, Ducati has whittled down the Scrambler line-up to fit the actual Ducati line-up.

Remember... the Scrambler was the bike that was NOT loved. Even at the Annual IMS, the Scrambler was displayed seperate and far away from the red goddesses. (Sportbikes and tourers)

The Scrambler worked. It brought in a new group of enthusiasts and opened the door to the Desert X.

My feelings are not hurt. It's just good business. But then.... I may be completely wrong and Ducati will retool and spend way too much money and technology on a bike that doesn't competitively compete with anything.

Cheers
Ducati has been using the side shock for a while in their designs. The exhaust on the Paul Smart Sport Classic required it. The Panigale had it. My Diavel has it.

It appears to me that Ducati wanted to create a sub-brand and was not as successful as they wanted, remember “Scrambler You Are” ? The new 800 model is really all they need in the lineup nowadays, with increased tech and enough opportunity for customization (personally I think the simplicity of the original iteration is its best quality). Yes, they sold 100,000 units but I’d wager the sub-variants were low unit runs, no matter how cool they were.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts