Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last Thursday, I spent the morning riding around only to return to my bike in the afternoon to find my key would not undo the steering lock...

After much swearing and many failed attempts to fix the problem I gave up and made a very sad phone call to the AA.

After a brief look, they decided this is going to be a warranty claim and summoned a laughably enormous low loader to come collect my baby.

Cut to today, almost a week later and I find out the dealer can't even take a look at the ignition until TUESDAY, so god knows how long it will be, considering parts are going to need to be ordered. I'm pretty disappointed it's going to take so long but c'est la vie, it is the first week of summer after all I guess. (Which does not make this easier for me)

This is a partial rant but I am also curious if anyone else has had a similar problem.

Interestingly I have the 400cc Sixty2 as a loaner. Considering how much I love my Scrambler, it's impressive Ducati have made something so similar that I dislike so much.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Sorry to hear about such problems, I know how annoying they can be. However have you possibly considered the fact that the problem is maybe homegrown and not down to Ducati?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sorry to hear about such problems, I know how annoying they can be. However have you possibly considered the fact that the problem is maybe homegrown and not down to Ducati?
I can't see how I could be to blame. The bike is kept in a garage when not in use and regularly cleaned. I have not used WD40 or any other penetrant or water displacer in the barrel, as others often mistakenly do.

It's an ignition barrel and shouldn't really require any attention on a 1 year old machine. I've not had this issue on any other bike I've owned, except a 10 year old 125cc Honda that lived outside year round. (Promptly fixed with some graphite powder)

I'm absolutely gutted and I miss my bike so much. I've got a new exhaust sat waiting to be fitted.

No doubt the weather will be crap by the time I get it back!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Anything is possible but I had read this " and fitting some snazzy new bar end mirrors." I know only Bars but maybe something got dislodged?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have the opposite problem. After getting the bike back from dealer for 1st service 7 months ago, bike refuse to go into steering lock. Which I suppose is a lot better than refusing to get out of steering lock. Called the dealer, took it back, they wiggled it a bit and it was fixed. I wasn't really paying attention. I should have. Because I just got my bike back from the dealer again today after having an oil leak issue and it's refusing to go to steering lock again. Just wrote the dealer. I'll report back to what they say.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Sorry to hear about this Josh and ichitz. I've always found steering locks sort of fiddley in either direction. Wiggle, push, jiggle, turn all at the same time till it finally goes. Good luck and let us know.

Sarah

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
So I am more curious about the loaner? Do tell why you dislike it.
The Sixty2. It's just so much less bike for not a lot less money... I believe it's around £1000 cheaper but you lose the front monoblock brake, the alu swingarm, the USD forks, the side panels and obviously 400cc. (you also get very cheap mirrors)

The biggest difference being the front brake. It's A LOT weaker than than on the normal scrambler and it tops out around 85-90. Meaning motorway work at 75ish is very hard work (admittedly, that's expected)
I'm not going to say you can't have fun on it, you can but £6400 is way too much for the caliber of bike you get. The regular Scrambler feels like a bargain for £7400.

The 800 scrambler is within A2 restriction kitand would be way better than the Sixty2, even with the restrictor fitted.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I believe that for next year, under the Euro4 regulations A2 class bikes must be manufactured to produce the maximum horsepower allowed. They can't be restricted. So the Sixty2 fits the new regulations the 800 will not.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I believe that for next year, under the Euro4 regulations A2 class bikes must be manufactured to produce the maximum horsepower allowed. They can't be restricted. So the Sixty2 fits the new regulations the 800 will not.
I'd heard this but I can't find proof anywhere. The only other thing I've heard about it, is that it will only apply to new bikes sold? So presumably, there is nothing to stop you buying the bike and having the restriction fitted as purely aftermarket...? Naughty race exhaust style.

If it is true, yet another law sucking dry the wallets of young riders.

If the Sixty2 was priced closer to £5500, it would make more sense to me. I've not ridden any other A2 bikes to compare. I just wish they had not downgraded the brakes.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Finally gotten around to taking the bike to the dealer. Apparently the lock inside is misaligned. Happens if the bike is in steering lock and handlebars are tempered with. So that's kind of unsettling..

·
Registered
142 Posts
So I am more curious about the loaner? Do tell why you dislike it.
I'm a 70 year old guy (but I've been riding since 1968) My main ride since 2006 has been a Suzi DR 650. I was considering "downsizing" to the Sixty2 and the dealer had a demo Sixty2 that I could ride (but not an 803 demo). So I rode the Sixty2 and within one mile I knew it was not for me. My complaint was 100% lack of "grunt" in the motor. Even though peak HP of the Sixty2 and the DR650 is comparable there was obviously a big difference in acceleration at "normal" RPM with the Sixty2 being a big loser. The static ergos of the Sixty2 and the Icon were great and almost identical though. So I bought the Icon. (Being used to the DR 650 the brakes on the Sixty2 felt like a nice improvement to me.)

·
Registered
33 Posts
did they have to fit a new ignition barrel? I have same problem with not engaging the steering lock but also the steering now feels wrong. I park in a row of bikes and no doubt the ass next to me forced my bars to get his bike in place. Service is due in 3 weeks so if I need a part I'm going to make sure they have in stock
many thanks

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
did they have to fit a new ignition barrel? I have same problem with not engaging the steering lock but also the steering now feels wrong. I park in a row of bikes and no doubt the ass next to me forced my bars to get his bike in place. Service is due in 3 weeks so if I need a part I'm going to make sure they have in stock
many thanks
Sorry for the slow response. I did have to get a new ignition barrel fitted. The dealer tried to make out my bike had been a victim of attempted theft and would not cover the ignition failure under warranty though. A long saga ensued that isn't fully resolved yet...

The only silver lining is that the barrel and replacement isn't actually that expensive compared to some other bikes.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Last Thursday, I spent the morning riding around only to return to my bike in the afternoon to find my key would not undo the steering lock...

After much swearing and many failed attempts to fix the problem I gave up and made a very sad phone call to the AA.

After a brief look, they decided this is going to be a warranty claim and summoned a laughably enormous low loader to come collect my baby.

Cut to today, almost a week later and I find out the dealer can't even take a look at the ignition until TUESDAY, so god knows how long it will be, considering parts are going to need to be ordered. I'm pretty disappointed it's going to take so long but c'est la vie, it is the first week of summer after all I guess. (Which does not make this easier for me)

This is a partial rant but I am also curious if anyone else has had a similar problem.

Interestingly I have the 400cc Sixty2 as a loaner. Considering how much I love my Scrambler, it's impressive Ducati have made something so similar that I dislike so much.
I had the problem on my 1100 ...the tip of the key had broken off and wouldn't fit any of the locks...a trailer rides 3 hours away from home !!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts