Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
B1D766A7-F657-401C-AC5A-274C892E15BC.jpeg
I got a simple “tail tidy” to move my license plate up, to include a light which is required in my state, and remove this “arm” off of the bike.

However, I am hesitating in proceeding because I have to ride five miles of dirt roads anytime I go out. It appears this stock setup might help keep stones from flying off the back tire. If it gets removed, is the bike more likely to throw stones up and/or back? Anyone remove theirs and ride dirt roads who can speak to this? Thank you.

·
Registered
96 Posts
7C629940-90A4-4EE9-A0C7-DE8D35F1CAAA.jpeg
That was the first thing I took off my bike, and put on a tail tidy. Have logged over 500 miles on Colorado fire and dirt roads, never had anything fly up from the rear. There is just too much centrifugal force for anything to stay in the tire that long where it would wind up going straight up, and even so, your moving. Physically impossible bro, lose the junk.

·
Registered
159 Posts
if you remove the under the seat plastic fender, its another story..i dont have mine on and yes, stuff flings up onto the seat.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That was the first thing I took off my bike, and put on a tail tidy. Have logged over 500 miles on Colorado fire and dirt roads, never had anything fly up from the rear. There is just too much centrifugal force for anything to stay in the tire that long where it would wind up going straight up, and even so, your moving. Physically impossible bro, lose the junk.
Thank you, your experience on the dirt roads with the license plate arm removed is exactly what I was hoping to hear about! May I ask what tail tidy you got?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if you remove the under the seat plastic fender, its another story..i dont have mine on and yes, stuff flings up onto the seat.
No I don’t wish to remove that, just the plastic license plate arm. It does provide some coverage directly behind the tire, but I notice the underside of that isn’t very dirty, whereas the underside of my seat is coated with mud. (Wet roads yesterday.)

Why did you remove it, aestethics? Curious how it looks.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thank you, your experience on the dirt roads with the license plate arm removed is exactly what I was hoping to hear about! May I ask what tail tidy you got?
Hi Vix, Competition Werx 1DSCR, about $90 on eBay.

·
Registered
159 Posts
No I don’t wish to remove that, just the plastic license plate arm. It does provide some coverage directly behind the tire, but I notice the underside of that isn’t very dirty, whereas the underside of my seat is coated with mud. (Wet roads yesterday.)

Why did you remove it, aestethics? Curious how it looks.
Heres a pic..yes asthenic...But it does throw water and debri up onto the seat..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
My Icon is pretty much like Gorts above. I have a muddy (in the wet) lane I have to navigate to get into my yard and going down that fairly slowly I can get a splattered up my back and on the seat. Maybe if I had enough room to speed up a little, or went a lot slower it wouldn't be so bad - can't work out the physics in my head today ;)

·
Registered
96 Posts
My Icon is pretty much like Gorts above. I have a muddy (in the wet) lane I have to navigate to get into my yard and going down that fairly slowly I can get a splattered up my back and on the seat. Maybe if I had enough room to speed up a little, or went a lot slower it wouldn't be so bad - can't work out the physics in my head today ;)
I agree, does throw up water or mud, but never been hit by a rock, nor heard one go whizzing by.

·
Registered
2 Posts
View attachment 40733 That was the first thing I took off my bike, and put on a tail tidy. Have logged over 500 miles on Colorado fire and dirt roads, never had anything fly up from the rear. There is just too much centrifugal force for anything to stay in the tire that long where it would wind up going straight up, and even so, your moving. Physically impossible bro, lose the junk.
What tail tidy is that?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi broke down. Too much water, mud or dirt on my back. I bought and chopped a cheap dirt bike fender from eBay and bolted it on the back. I don’t love the look but keeps my back a little less messy. My license plate is harder to see which is both good and bad.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi,

If you remove the fender like several of you did, is there anywhere to mount indicators? I really like the look without the fender but I'd prefer to keep my Ducati Scrambler LEDs. If not, do you know what pieces would be needed to mount them? And secondly, is there a need to install a splash guard or some kind of plate underneath the seat when the fender is removed? Practically or aesthetically? I think NOKFIR2's solution looks pretty clean (although I would keep the afore-mentioned indicators), but don't know if that is what it looks like when the fender has been removed or some accessory part has been installed.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well it was taken off over the winter, this was the first ride today. I am really happy with how it looks! I also usually have the Scrambler panniers on but left them off today for a clean look. (Plus we couldn’t stop anywhere anyway.)

Reactions: Deano968

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 23 Posts