Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I'm soon heading out to buy a new Ducati Scrambler.

I want to add some accessories to customise it a bit also.

Any tips on how to drive down price or get free stuff thrown in?

Can you play dealers off each other, get free services or money off?

What techniques do you guys use buying a new bike?

·
Registered
21 Posts
At a minimum I'd call another dealer (generally the second closest to you) and get them to whatever best price they'll offer you OTD before going in to your ideal/closest dealer so that you are armed with some information as a benchmark. Maybe just was my local dealers, but I was blown away by the dealer fees Ducati has so I'd be emotionally prepared for that haha. As for accessories, personally I prefer to hunt those down on my own. The dealer might offer you 10-20% off of them when buying a bike, but that discount generally just barely covers their inflated pricing anyway... Might as well put some miles on and add accessories as you get to know the bike and what you really want.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Without knowing what country you are in or what the situation is in your country regarding motorcycle sakes generally your question is impossible to answer in any serious way.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Don't be discouraged/fooled I've found that folks love to go online and brag about crazy deals they've allegedly got. If you were in my area and waited to find a Scrambler with 900 miles for $5k you'd be spending many years without a bike. I watched used listings for a few months in my area and there wasn't anything under $7k without having tons of miles on it. I've had enough used problematic toys in the past, so paying a couple grand more to get a new reliable bike with a warranty was a no brainer.

If you find a good clean scrambler for $5k though certainly buy it hah, any needed repairs down the road will be easily covered by the money you saved unless it as compression issues or something crazy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Don't be discouraged/fooled I've found that folks love to go online and brag about crazy deals they've allegedly got. If you were in my area and waited to find a Scrambler with 900 miles for $5k you'd be spending many years without a bike. I watched used listings for a few months in my area and there wasn't anything under $7k without having tons of miles on it. I've had enough used problematic toys in the past, so paying a couple grand more to get a new reliable bike with a warranty was a no brainer.

If you find a good clean scrambler for $5k though certainly buy it hah, any needed repairs down the road will be easily covered by the money you saved unless it as compression issues or something crazy.
I’m from New York where the used market (including surrounding areas) is quite vast. I didn’t mean to brag in my post, I was just giving OP a different perspective. And finding a bike for that price isn’t as simple as 1,2,3... I searched the market for a few months before I was able to find one that fit in my budget, and luckily the ones I found had low miles.

Nothings impossible, I payed $5000 a piece for both of these - 2 used for the price of 1 new.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Look for used and well maintained. If you do have to buy new, make sure your dealer has renewed their contract or terms with Ducati as to your dealership remaining an authorized dealer. If they get cut from Ducati and you have a warranty claim, you are fucked if that dealer handled your warranty. I would get more information from Ducati about it. Most dealers will not be up front with you about it. They consolidated many dealers here in the states and abroad. Many customers were caught in the middle

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just bought a superceded 1100 Special new for well under retail and got more for my trade in than i paid for it 3 years ago.

Now I know the Special is not everyone's fave (it is mine) and I just saw the latest "Pro" versions available which don't include the special for 2021..

While the new bikes DO look good, I'm just glad I got my dealer's last remaining Special as I really wanted the wire wheels and the chrome exhaust / grey color has grown on me in the last three months since purchase.

My advice then, buy at the right time (end of model runout / end of financial year, whatever) just not at the start of riding season or as soon as the latest update when everybody wants it.

Secondhand bikes were a bit thin on the ground here in Oz and I like the factory warranty on mine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am from Hawaii and rarely any scrambler pop up for sale but I want specific Caferacer and it is impossible to find. Found a used 5k miles 2017 asking for $8500 but a dealer in AZ offer $10.3 for a brand new 2019 bike. No brainer with 2 years warranty and newer technologies, I am gladly paying couple more grands for it. Even with shipping and fees still a few grands cheaper than local dealer. I really want to support local business but better deal win. If you don’t mind buy an older new bike, you could save couple thousands. I am very wary about buying used bike because I just don’t trust my life on an unknown history of the bike. But it’s just me, my life and peace of mind worth a lot more than a few thousands bucks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
"dealer in AZ offer $10.3 for a brand new 2029 bike. No brainer with 2 years warranty and newer technologies, I am gladly paying couple more grands for it."

2029 bike? Yeh, you'd reckon the technologies would be newer...hahahah

well worth a couple extra thousand eh?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Finding a past year model is definitely key! I love the mach 2.0 trim so I found a dealer this spring who still had a 2018 mach 2.0 in stock.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts