Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got my first ever motorcycle a 2018 Desert Sled as well as my endorsement about 3-4 weeks ago. I recently went on the interstate for the first time for about 2 miles and felt like I was going to die. The speed limit is 75 for that stretch but everyone else is going 85 or more and there was some slight wind 5-10 mph. So I am going 75mph and staying to the right feeling like imma get blown off the bike. Is this normal or am I just doing something wrong? I was handling the sudden wind and no wind when cars were passing me just fine but definitely was uncomfortable. I don't plan on riding on the interstate often but there is one trip I would like to do every few months to see some family and that's about 140-150 miles at those speeds on the interstate. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Naked bikes tend to be a bit like this. There's is a thread somewhere on here where someone has raised similar points. I caveat this by saying I don't really feel qualified to give advice (probably 'cause I'm not ;)) But, as you say it's your first bike hopefully I'm not insulting your intelligence – If you relax your arms, grip the tank a little with your knees and let the bike do it's own thing it does tend to smooth out the riding experience at speed with cars and trucks passing. If you have a death grip on your bars you'll exaggerate every tiny movement – at a training course I went on recently (I highly recommend extra training, it's fun and instructive) they told me to think of the bars as a place to lightly rest your arms rather than any sort of support for your body weight.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took a BRC for my endorsement and I regularly practice in parking lots and neighborhoods. I know death grip on the bars is very bad I grew up on quads and some small dirtbikes. I also had a box truck blow a tire right in front of me on that 2-mile stretch and was scared shitless the rest of the way home. So it is possible I am being paranoid on my ability but I will definitely work on gripping with my knees, however. Thank you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts