Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got to swap mine over, gonna have to hang the bike by subframe from rafter in the garage. Not excited by this. Is getting off/putting it on a ballache? Any tips?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
...also, just a thought, mine is a 2015, swingarm I'm looking at buying is from a 2016. Are there any differences...?

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I hang my bike from the attic in our garage even when I change tires. The bike can handle it. That said, you want to stabilize the bike under the engine as well else it can swing from left to right when you're trying to loosen nuts...

(and I think all 803 Scramblers swingarms are the same except for the Sled)

·
Registered
342 Posts
My tip, don´t hoik if off the ground until you have stripped everything and loosened every bolt/nut. If anything is stuck the ground is the safest place to deal with it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
After trying various ways of getting the rear wheel off, I finally spent a little money and got one of these. I've found that maneuvering the bike is easier with the seat off so I can get both feet solidly on the ground. Not shown in the pic are tiedown straps that attach to the handlebars and the I-bolts on the base. Then everything is vertical and stable. Jack under the crankcase lifts the rear easily.
chockstand.jpg

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cool bikes, way to many issues. too bad. i traded mine and haven't looked back.
Swapping swing arm then trading it in. Great bike and this is the first real issue i've had in 22k miles. Moving on cos not exciting me. Might persuade myself to keep as second bike. We'll see.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
cool bikes, way to many issues. too bad. i traded mine and haven't looked back.
Thought you crashed your next bike after the scrambler?? 55,000 miles around the world trip with only the clutch and a fork seal going bad seems pretty reasonable to me (Henry crew not me) all new models will have some form of gremlin.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Swapping swing arm then trading it in. Great bike and this is the first real issue i've had in 22k miles. Moving on cos not exciting me. Might persuade myself to keep as second bike. We'll see.
I was run over in a parking lot on my 6 week old XSR900 on May 14 2018. Took me until November until I could bend my knee enough to get it on a footpeg and then I immediately bought a new Yamaha FJ 09. Both are exactly the same bikes but packaged differently........one is retro looking and FJ is more touring oriented with a gallon larger gas tank and a larger pillion. I already stripped all the non essential stuff off and did new suspension front and rear. I pretty much agree with Lady Bishop. I rode the hell out of my Scrambler and loved it but wanted more.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I was run over in a parking lot on my 6 week old XSR900 on May 14 2018. Took me until November until I could bend my knee enough to get it on a footpeg and then I immediately bought a new Yamaha FJ 09. Both are exactly the same bikes but packaged differently........one is retro looking and FJ is more touring oriented with a gallon larger gas tank and a larger pillion. I already stripped all the non essential stuff off and did new suspension front and rear. I pretty much agree with Lady Bishop. I rode the hell out of my Scrambler and loved it but wanted more.
I thought the same with my Full Throttle. Rode it all over, loved it but felt like I wanted more and it wasn't thrilling enough any longer... test rode a bunch of stuff then bought a much faster Hypermotard SP.
Now back on another Scrambler. Seems I did actually just want a faster Scrambler, not a faster bike...

Since the 1100 just doesn't do it for me, looks like I'll have to build my perfect bike, rather than buy it.
I really wanted to like the MT09/XSR900/Tracer. Seems the ideal middleweight but just think I have a problem with electronic throttles, you can always tell...

·
Registered
192 Posts
I thought the same with my Full Throttle. Rode it all over, loved it but felt like I wanted more and it wasn't thrilling enough any longer... test rode a bunch of stuff then bought a much faster Hypermotard SP.
Now back on another Scrambler. Seems I did actually just want a faster Scrambler, not a faster bike...

Since the 1100 just doesn't do it for me, looks like I'll have to build my perfect bike, rather than buy it.
I really wanted to like the MT09/XSR900/Tracer. Seems the ideal middleweight but just think I have a problem with electronic throttles, you can always tell...
Having come from a motocross background I loved the hair trigger throttle on my Scrambler. I'm not sure what you think is wrong with the electronic throttle but it feels great to me. If I'm not mistaken I think most of the Ducati lineup is electronic throttle.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Having come from a motocross background I loved the hair trigger throttle on my Scrambler. I'm not sure what you think is wrong with the electronic throttle but it feels great to me. If I'm not mistaken I think most of the Ducati lineup is electronic throttle.
I just find them all sub bar to a nice cable one. There are a lot of upsides to going ride-by-wire but there's always this sense of it interpreting your input. Bit of fluffyness to it. Some are much better than others obviously.

Hyper 939 engine in a Scrambler, anyone?
If we're day dreaming, I'd much prefer the 996 engine. By far the most lovely Duc engine I've experienced. Was in a ST4s.
Don't actually think the Hyper engine is the most characterful.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I just find them all sub bar to a nice cable one. There are a lot of upsides to going ride-by-wire but there's always this sense of it interpreting your input. Bit of fluffyness to it. Some are much better than others obviously.

If we're day dreaming, I'd much prefer the 996 engine. By far the most lovely Duc engine I've experienced. Was in a ST4s.
Don't actually think the Hyper engine is the most characterful.

The 996 in the ST4s is a different engine than in the 996 Superbike. The ST4s had a lower deck height, I think that's what it's called, in order for it to fit in the ST frame. It's been a while bit I think the heads were milled narrower. The result was more torque at a given RPM than the 996 Superbike engine. The ST4s uses different belts also. I used to have a comparison graph but who knows where it's at now.

FWIW, I sold my 2003 ST4s in late 2017 to buy the Flat Track Pro.

-Bob

·
Registered
816 Posts
The 996 in the ST4s is a different engine than in the 996 Superbike. The ST4s had a lower deck height, I think that's what it's called, in order for it to fit in the ST frame. It's been a while bit I think the heads were milled narrower. The result was more torque at a given RPM than the 996 Superbike engine. The ST4s uses different belts also. I used to have a comparison graph but who knows where it's at now.

FWIW, I sold my 2003 ST4s in late 2017 to buy the Flat Track Pro.

-Bob
Correct. It used the narrower heads I believe were then also used on the 748?
Ended up making more power than the 996 too, due to the simpler lower exhausts.

In reality, I doubt they felt THAT different but either way, lovely engine. Not like anything else I’ve ridden really. Torque everywhere, silky smooth throttle and it felt so... free. Gained and dropped revs so effortlessly. Modern engines feel much more, tight? Might be the best way to say it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts