Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that Scrambler groups have gather around the world, have you guys done any head-to-head tests on different models?

Some time ago I talked to my dealer about the horrible throttle response. He said that on Full Throttle the response is way more manageable than on others, due to Termi and different map. So I wonder if anyone here has had to chance to compare the two?

How about the wheels? UE and Classic have different wheels than FT and Icon. Is that something that can be noticed e.g. on how the suspension works?

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Think you'll find all 4 bikes perform and handle the same,

They did a test in MCN last week riding all four bikes, nothing was said about one out performing another, more of a styling exercise , and a damn good one at that

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
The guts of the bikes are all the same as Elvisto says. The differences are aesthetic.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well if my dealer wasn't lying then FT has different ECU mapping (and Termi, obviously)
And from what I've read the UE and Classic wire wheels pay a hefty weight penalty where it matters the most.
Yes, engine, frame and suspension are the same, but things that have effect on each are different from model to model.
I would be surprised if there really are no noticeable differences. I once took my cage to service, got a loaner, same spec engine, model, year etc but STW vs sedan. And the feel of the cars was (totally) different.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
And you could argue that having different riders (height, weight, riding ability etc) will have an effect too. :ambivalence:

The other week whilst out on my Classic I managed to blast past a guy on the new R1 who couldn't ride round corners. Does that mean my Classic is faster than the FT? :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sure they would. But the whole idea was to ask if one rider had tested different models therefore eliminating the different rider effect and focusing on the differences on the models.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Honestly its just a fun bike and a styling exercise by Ducati to appeal to a wider audience and to sell more.

It's not at the "cutting edge" of anything and it's built to a budget. Just ride it and enjoy it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And still the point is not if it is fun bike or not. Or whether someone can fly past R1 or not. It's about differences on the models and if anyone has 1st hand experience on several models.

E.g. Classic (based on Ducati site) weights 6.5kg more than Icon - by visual inspection most of that is on the wheels. One could assume that 5-6kg more rotating mass has some effect on handling - just based on the laws of physics.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
And still the point is not if it is fun bike or not. Or whether someone can fly past R1 or not. It's about differences on the models and if anyone has 1st hand experience on several models.

E.g. Classic (based on Ducati site) weights 6.5kg more than Icon - by visual inspection most of that is on the wheels. One could assume that 5-6kg more rotating mass has some effect on handling - just based on the laws of physics.
The Classic hasn't got the plate scaffolding hanging off the rear wheel which not only increases un-sprung weight but destroys the mass centralisation. How far do you want to go ?
I think we can 'assume' that there's no real time riding difference and the rules of physics don't apply between the models, or that the members don't care.
I get your question though, I just don't think the testers have noticed anything or they would have said so or at least pretend to notice.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I heard the FT's lower bars drop the aerodynamic drag coefficient by 37%, and combined with the deflection of the air hitting the vinyl seat plates it makes it slippery through the air, resulting in an additional 15km/h top end speed.

The double barrel exhaust on the other hand affects the bike on crosswinds and results in slower acceleration (but improved breaking) in winds above 140km/h (so be mindful riding in cyclonic weather).

The urban Enduro is meant to create negative g forces and suck the bike to the ground with its belly pan... It corners like its on rails, hence the re-enforced handlebars with the crossbar.

The classic pulls the biggest wheelies due to the extra spoiler effect down the back with the longer mudguard. This is why the seat has a different pattern to provide more grip and avoid the rider slipping backward in a mile-long wheelie.

So you'd think the icon would be left behind, but here's the thing: it has the shortest tank badge, which is no coincidence: it is 143gr instead of the 200+ on the other bikes. This is just the starting point: it's lack of "extras" means the icon's power-to-weight ratio exceeds that of the Panigale R and the Bugatti Veyron. This also explains why the seat is the hardest: no padding = less weight.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I see that Scrambler groups have gather around the world, have you guys done any head-to-head tests on different models?

Some time ago I talked to my dealer about the horrible throttle response. He said that on Full Throttle the response is way more manageable than on others, due to Termi and different map. So I wonder if anyone here has had to chance to compare the two?

How about the wheels? UE and Classic have different wheels than FT and Icon. Is that something that can be noticed e.g. on how the suspension works?
Just go and buy the FT.
Can we end this thread now?

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
I heard the FT's lower bars drop the aerodynamic drag coefficient by 37%, and combined with the deflection of the air hitting the vinyl seat plates it makes it slippery through the air, resulting in an additional 15km/h top end speed.

The double barrel exhaust on the other hand affects the bike on crosswinds and results in slower acceleration (but improved breaking) in winds above 140km/h (so be mindful riding in cyclonic weather).

The urban Enduro is meant to create negative g forces and suck the bike to the ground with its belly pan... It corners like its on rails, hence the re-enforced handlebars with the crossbar.

The classic pulls the biggest wheelies due to the extra spoiler effect down the back with the longer mudguard. This is why the seat has a different pattern to provide more grip and avoid the rider slipping backward in a mile-long wheelie.

So you'd think the icon would be left behind, but here's the thing: it has the shortest tank badge, which is no coincidence: it is 143gr instead of the 200+ on the other bikes. This is just the starting point: it's lack of "extras" means the icon's power-to-weight ratio exceeds that of the Panigale R and the Bugatti Veyron. This also explains why the seat is the hardest: no padding = less weight.
I wish I'd said all that :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Not sure why you're getting flack for your question. Dropping $10,000+ on something is a lot of money and with my FT being my first new bike I've ever purchased, I did the research and asked the questions too. Let's hope this forum doesn't turn into one that discourages people from asking questions and learning. Granted, most are commenting in jest, so don't take it to heart.

In any case, I've ridden the Icon on a test ride a couple times and bought my FT partially because that's what I had put my deposit on, but in the end, I don't think it's a huge difference in riding. They're all easily flickable and ridiculously fun. I have done a side by side comparison and maybe I'm biased but I think the FT exhaust sounds better than the Icon. Deeper gravely sound. Like someone else said, the handle bars being lower on the FT are going to change the ride by default. Otherwise, I don't think performance wise I could tell a difference. I'm only two years into riding though, so maybe that's why I can't tell a difference.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts