Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

· Registered
219 Posts
Anything you'd feel hopping on an icon vs a classic would be forgotten by the end of the day riding either model I'm guessing. I was always amazed at how many people ran rear knobby tires for dirtbikes on the TW200 when I had mine. I tried it and it changed the way the bike fell over into corners to where the gyroscopic effect of the tire weight made it feel like you physically unlocked from going upright to leaned over and it was a bit scary for me. Meanwhile all these old guys doing that setup out in the mountains seemed to love it and rode just as hard as me. I ended up putting the OEM Japanese street tires on it so that I could get back my linear lean over feeling back. You MIGHT feel some of that, but I bet it's so minimal that it doesn't matter in the real world. But that's all I could foresee is that the classic feels different when you lean the bike over in a curve, but ever so slightly.

· Registered
20 Posts
I took a spin on the Icon at the dealer's before picking up my FT. The tester Icon had the race Termi fitted and found the throttle to be responsive but in no way problematic. The first day of riding my FT, I guess I could sympathize with the idea that the throttle is lively, but it's nothing the bothers me. After a few days, I don't think about it at all.

I do think the stock Termi on the FT sounds better than the stock can on the other versions, but I'm pretty sure the fuel mapping is exactly the same. I didn't mind the higher bars on the Icon, but I prefer the FT bars.

· Registered
90 Posts
I took a spin on the Icon at the dealer's before picking up my FT. The tester Icon had the race Termi fitted and found the throttle to be responsive but in no way problematic. The first day of riding my FT, I guess I could sympathize with the idea that the throttle is lively, but it's nothing the bothers me. After a few days, I don't think about it at all.

I do think the stock Termi on the FT sounds better than the stock can on the other versions, but I'm pretty sure the fuel mapping is exactly the same. I didn't mind the higher bars on the Icon, but I prefer the FT bars.
How did the race Termi sound compared to the FT Termi? Was there a lot of difference? I think the race Termi is more opened up and probably louder especially if baffle removed.

· Registered
20 Posts
The race Termi fills your soul with immediate joy and is deeper and smoother through the full powerband. It's a smart move to put it on a test ride bike. The FT has a great snarl at initial acceleration and a deep rumbling on engine braking, but is a little more whispy on acceleration.

· Registered
33 Posts
Not sure why you're getting flack for your question.
Ditto. I think the questions are worthwhile, particularly because not all the information out there is 100% accurate or applicable everywhere.

For example, I've seen reports that there was an RPM limit in place during the break-in period, however my FT did not have one from mile 0. I'm hitting 10k RPM no problem. Not on purpose, mind you, just happens sometimes ;).

· Registered
120 Posts
Two of the guys here went for a ride this week with an icon with a Termi without baffle and a FT, I heard the FT sounds deeper than the stock but not as loud as the race termi.

On the other hand I have ridden my icon with and without the race termi and performance wise it doesn't really feel any different - just the noise. I've also changed my bars to the FT ones for looks, the position has changed a little but nothing of significance either. So the only other factors would be seats, which we know the Icon has the least padding (You can even see it) and the wheels. I don't honk you'd feel the wheels other than on a track, but there's the practicality element of tube vs tubeless. All in all, same bikes, different bling. If you can tell any differences you're probably one of those people who can tell whether you're running 95 octane vs 98 octane fuel. I cannot.

· Registered
1,565 Posts
This thread highlights a problem we have trying to have a general blether about 'stuff'
I've fallen into the trap a few times where I've written something tongue in cheek and it's been picked up wrong. I tend never to use smilies and text speak like lol etc. and assume people know the intended tone then a while later I read things back and think it sounds a bit abrupt or arrogant.
My point is, the original post was an innocent question you could hear anywhere, curiosity if the bikes ride the same ? Lets not turn it into something it wasn't intended to be.

· Registered
564 Posts
Actually Feli's reply had thrown up a question from me.He mentioned tubeless v tubed tyres and the practicalities.
What are the pros and cons?
I have the UE so have tubes,so interested to hear the opinions please.

· Registered
1,565 Posts
Actually Feli's reply had thrown up a question from me.He mentioned tubeless v tubed tyres and the practicalities.
What are the pros and cons?
I have the UE so have tubes,so interested to hear the opinions please.
There's been quite extensive opinions here on this already but I can't remember where.
I have no problem with them, supermoto bike sales have exploded in recent times and the vast majority of them are on spokies.

· Registered
120 Posts
As far as I know the only differences are:
- weight: not sure this is noticeable, but there's an argument that the lighter the better.
- punctures: it's widely agreed that tubeless perform better with a puncture as they tend to deflate at a slower rate, rather than "exploding", and that they're also repairable on the road most times with portable repair kits, without removing the wheel or tire. Tuned wheels need to be removed for a new tube to be inserted which is hard to do on the go.
- flexibility: spoke wheels tend to be more flexible (hence why they are widely used for off-road) and the spokes are repairable / replaceable. The alloy wheels are harder and if they crack they're a write-off

· Registered
4 Posts
Looks like very superficial differences ... guess d handle can b lowered in d Icon too. It's lightest of d lot.
Well .... d Scrambler is going to be launched in Bangalore, India in another 2 weeks time n I'm torn between d Icon n d Classic ...
Any new observations that can help decide, which model ... :)

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.