Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only on 600miles, but bike is stranded in a carpark :( Just won't start. Display shows SD.STND with a warning sign along with the engine light.

Obviously i've wiggled the sidestand switch as much as possible, but still no joy.. so waiting on a local roadside recovery company to come pick the bike up and drive it 30miles north to the nearest Ducati Dealer.

Bit upsetting to get a problem this early on. But hey, if its just the one, i can live with that. If its one of many to come, then not so good.

Out of interest has anyone else had this issue? Assuming its a faulty sidestand switch or wiring loom.

·
Registered
32 Posts
doc my recollection, if the side stand is dropped whilst in gear it kills the engine. also recall it is possible to start the engine with side stand down and gear box in neutral. might be a bad pressure switch causing you grief?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Doc,

Hit the Start button and nothing whatsoever? Corrosion in the switch down on the frame, I wonder? The rest of us might need to take note and make a point to maintain that switch. Handy workaround posted here:

Emergency Kickstand Sensor Bypass

Please let us know how this goes, Doc.

Sarah

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Doc,

Hit the Start button and nothing whatsoever? Corrosion in the switch down on the frame, I wonder? The rest of us might need to take note and make a point to maintain that switch. Handy workaround posted here:

Emergency Kickstand Sensor Bypass

Please let us know how this goes, Doc.

Sarah
Thanks Sarah. Its probably what it is, but i just had Ducati pick it up as part of their two yr warranty roadside recovery. Had i not had this freebie service, i'd of tried to bypass. But TBH with little info on this problem, who knows who much more complex it could of made things.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks Sarah. Its probably what it is, but i just had Ducati pick it up as part of their two yr warranty roadside recovery. Had i not had this freebie service, i'd of tried to bypass. But TBH with little info on this problem, who knows who much more complex it could of made things.
Hey Doc, I had the exact same issue in the first month I had the bike. My problem wasn't directly at the switch on the stand, but rather, there's a connector on the left side of the bike behind the frame that connects the switch to the rest of the wiring up at the gauge. The wires themselves were not properly crimped into the connecter ports. I wired my own bypass to get the bike to the dealer and they covered the repair under warranty. Probably more info than you need at this point, but if it makes you feel any better to know you're not the only one, well there you have it.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Hey there Doc, any updates? Hoping this is a simple thing easily remedied. Do you mind to put your location in your profile? I can never keep up with where folks are on the globe otherwise.

Sarah

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was. They fixed next day. No parts needed. If it was to have happened out of warranty, i'd of snipped the wires or shorted it out, but given it was a warranty bike, i didn't even attempt to tamper with the electrics.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Good! They happen to share any details? Wire or connector pulled loose, or just simple dirt and corrosion? Maybe just a head's up for the rest of us.

Sarah

·
Registered
33 Posts
Having now seen the inside of that sensor/switch I gotta say that I'm surprised we aren't seeing more failures. It seems quite complex.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts