Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 DS. From about 3,900- 4,300 rpm I hear a sort of high-pitched ringing sound from the engine. Any gear or speed, but most noticeable at cruising speed. It’s in the engine case, not wind or tires, because it stops if I pull in the clutch and back off the throttle. It’s bern there since new. Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
I can't judge the sound of your bike, but yeah, it's an aircooled engine, so you can expect some noises other watercooled bikes don't seen to make.

What does your dealer say?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't judge the sound of your bike, but yeah, it's an aircooled engine, so you can expect some noises other watercooled bikes don't seen to make.

What does your dealer say?
It’s a bit intermittent, was hard to hear the one time I took it there. I guess I would expect that if it was a common characteristic of this motor that others would have noticed it. I guess I’ll take it to the dealer and ask them to ride it and listen. I Love the bike! And your tubeless conversion method has worked great so far. 5k miles and no leak.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I heard the noise and got really obsessed with it for a while. I couldn't unhear it while riding. Dealer could not find any problem. I did not have an issue with the bike for two years so finally at this point I gave up on the issue. Sounds like some kind of rattling around 4k rpm and I don't hear it anymore.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess it could-it will be interesting to see if an adjustment at 7,500 mi makes a difference. I tend to avoid that rpm when holding a steady speed just to avoid the ringing, although when I wear plugs it doesn’t bother me.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I think it's just the nature of the air-cooled engine, on top of it being a Desmo design. These engines are just loud and clattery in general. I did however recently have a new noise occur that freaked me out. Sounded like a high pitched rattling noise that was pretty constant. Turned out to be my O2 sensor bung plug that had rattled loose and was vibrating in the exhaust pipe at resonance. I know this sounds stupid, but check all your nuts and bolts and springs on your exhaust system. At certain RPM's things can hit that resonance and begin to vibrate and make funny noises. Now that I've cranked the bung plug back down and good, the noise has totally gone away. Couldn't believe it was something so stupid, especially considering it sounded like it was coming from inside the valvetrain section of the engine. Just a thought!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts