Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the kit and put the air filter in last year with my Rexxer tune and didn’t think much of anything about it. I got the air box out modified for the power up filters and installed over the winter and wow! The side filters make such a difference! In looking at the air box design I sort of feel the air filter isn’t doing anything at this point. Has anyone installed the side cut in filters only and seen a large improvement in noise power and satisfaction? Just spit balling the idea of others saving a few bucks on the main filter.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I would be surprised if there is any real improvement in anything other than a louder noise if that is an improvement and a sense of satisfaction for the rider.
Vehicles these days are run by computers to operate in certain ways. It is not like the old days when you could make substantive changes by changing exhaust systems, rejetting or replacing carburetors and improving air flow.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can believe that but with proper tuning intakes and exhausts do add power. We’re not talking V4R engineering here on a $10,000 Ducati there is room for improvement. If you want to let your 803cc bike breathe through a rubber snorkel barely bigger than a quarter that’s cool with me.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I'm happy to admit to being wrong when somebody shows me before and after dyno charts to prove the point. Additional noise and wow are not quantifiable proof. I've had people telling me that their bikes are running much better and are faster since they performed this mod or that mod for the best part of 45 years and in almost every case when some sort of subjective testing has been done the faster part has been between the riders ears not in measurable performance.
Obviously you can make internal combustion engines run better but to make them run better you generally need to perform way more surgery than simply changing an air filter element or opening up the breathing in isolation from other work.
If you believe that your bike runs better and has somehow been transformed that is great and I am genuinely happy for you because what you believe about your bike is really all the matters in the end.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I'm happy to admit to being wrong when somebody shows me before and after dyno charts to prove the point. Additional noise and wow are not quantifiable proof. I've had people telling me that their bikes are running much better and are faster since they performed this mod or that mod for the best part of 45 years and in almost every case when some sort of subjective testing has been done the faster part has been between the riders ears not in measurable performance.
Obviously you can make internal combustion engines run better but to make them run better you generally need to perform way more surgery than simply changing an air filter element or opening up the breathing in isolation from other work.
If you believe that your bike runs better and has somehow been transformed that is great and I am genuinely happy for you because what you believe about your bike is really all the matters in the end.
upload_2019-4-12_12-49-36.png

·
Registered
25 Posts
I also did the MWR PUK and Rexxer tune. I was running a pretty free exhaust (Dan Moto) before hand with a booster plug and now with the MWR, exhaust and tune. No dynos before and after, but there is a noticeable difference in smoothness of power delivery. I agree with the air delivery through a snorkel the size of a quarter.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I was thinking about simply removing the snorkel and opening up the area. That seems like it would be much easier (& cheaper) and enough air flow given the rest of the intake system. It's only a single 50mm throttle body.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was thinking about simply removing the snorkel and opening up the area. That seems like it would be much easier (& cheaper) and enough air flow given the rest of the intake system. It's only a single 50mm throttle body.
Removing that area may not really improve as much as it seems. The Scrambler airbox is really odd. The air flows through the snorkel into the inside of the filter to the outside of the filter and floods the airbox with air. Since that snorkel is on the intake side of the filter, you’re still moving the air through the stock filter.
The MWR side filter panels allows air to bypass the stock filter and flow from the side panels directly to the throttle body. When the throttle opens, it creates a negative pressure so it pulls in air from both side filter plates (which goes directly to the throttle body) and through the filter, which has to draw from the snorkel. So even though opening the snorkel will add benefits, it would not be as much as opening up the sides of the airbox. Any opening in the side of the airbox would need filtration since it’s open to the throttle body.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts