Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealer sent a pic this evening of my bike that he now has and just noticed the excessive amount of balance weights on front wheel or are they something else? Would not be happy to take the bike with that lot on there.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes but think I have less and on one side
Looking at pics Albie I see bikes have anything from 2 to 5. I wonder if I can do anything about em. Maybe paint em or something. Are they stick on weights?

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers Nick they jumped out at me and am sure I wont notice em to such an extent.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I would see about having the Tire re balanced by the dealer. There should be a Circle or a colored dot on the tire to indicate the tire manufactured lightest spot on the rubber. That circle should line up to your valve stem.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Pretty typical of new tires in my experience. I'm throwing more than 1oz on each wheel I balance every time I change tires lately it seems. They have thick and thin spots from the factory thanks to the molds not being perfect. You'll get a quarter ounce out of balance at a valve stem on the wheel or whatever, but the tires themselves have just been way out for me. And I'm talking name brand like Continental, Pirelli, Dunlop, etc... The only tire I've thrown on and not needed any weight was the front Bridgestone for my TW200 a couple of years ago.

Here's a super zoomed in photo, but a Dunlop tire on my BMW. There's an equal number of weights on the other side of the rim. 2.0oz which seems to be a lot to me. But balanced is balanced. It'd suck to ride that tire with no weights on there! Also notice that there's a lead weight on the spoke right there as well. That's a lot of weight. And I put the yellow dot right at the valve stem.

·
Registered
619 Posts
WOW yea, 2oz seems like a lot to me. and I see you are lined up.

Pretty typical of new tires in my experience. I'm throwing more than 1oz on each wheel I balance every time I change tires lately it seems. They have thick and thin spots from the factory thanks to the molds not being perfect. You'll get a quarter ounce out of balance at a valve stem on the wheel or whatever, but the tires themselves have just been way out for me. And I'm talking name brand like Continental, Pirelli, Dunlop, etc... The only tire I've thrown on and not needed any weight was the front Bridgestone for my TW200 a couple of years ago.

Here's a super zoomed in photo, but a Dunlop tire on my BMW. There's an equal number of weights on the other side of the rim. 2.0oz which seems to be a lot to me. But balanced is balanced. It'd suck to ride that tire with no weights on there! Also notice that there's a lead weight on the spoke right there as well. That's a lot of weight. And I put the yellow dot right at the valve stem.

·
Registered
219 Posts
We have a Dynabeads seller here in town and they do work. They spin up to where they need to be at about 30mph, so sometimes you can feel them out of balance as you take off, but then they smooth out. I have them in both of my scooters, but haven't ponied up for them in motorcycle tires. I bought a huge pack of 1/4 oz lead weights and own a balancing stand, so I have just been using those for the past few years.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts

The weights on the spokes are factory wheel only balance weights and should not be removed.
There are now satin black lead weights that most bike and car tyre shops stock. If not, I touch in the weight with paint depending on the rim and vehicle type.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I also had a laugh this morning when I was checking tire pressure I noticed that our specially designed Pirelli tires where made in China. Ah yes the global economy.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Emailed dealer to see if he could re balance and use black lead weights. Will be done at first service as no time before I get bike in the morning. I am happy with that

1 - 16 of 16 Posts