Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
This site has one of the weakest spam protection systems on any forum I have been involved with on the Internet but if you see spam and you report it the spam generally gets removed fairly quickly.
The key is to report it rather than write posts complaining about it.

·
Registered
766 Posts
BTW. You report a post by clicking on the three vertical dots on the top right of each post and selecting Report.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks I know how to report a post. My issue is about why the mods do not clean this stuff up. I know it’s a thankless job, but having these up for several days tells me the mods are AWOL If you go and carefully read my post that was posted in the correct location for such issues you will see what my point was.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Thanks I know how to report a post. My issue is about why the mods do not clean this stuff up. I know it’s a thankless job, but having these up for several days tells me the mods are AWOL If you go and carefully read my post that was posted in the correct location for such issues you will see what my point was.

I'm on your side. I have spent so much time complaining about the poor spam protection on this site and reporting spam posts over the last couple of years that I don't want to think about it. Basically I have been beaten into submission by the seemingly lack of care by the site managers so I simply no longer bother reporting spam. If they can't be bothered taking relatively simple steps to block it or even actively deleting any blindingly obvious spam like all those shit posts in Chinese then why should I care?

To give you some examples

·
Registered
959 Posts
I know this isn't the point, and you've probably done it anyway but just in case…

I just click on one of the obnoxious threads and chose to 'ignore' the poster. As there's only (so far!) a couple of posters bombing the site with Chinese characters that's working for me at the moment.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I know this isn't the point, and you've probably done it anyway but just in case…

I just click on one of the obnoxious threads and chose to 'ignore' the poster. As there's only (so far!) a couple of posters bombing the site with Chinese characters that's working for me at the moment.
Sorry but that is B/S.
These people should be banned at source by the forum admins. The user name banned and the IP address blacklisted. Ignoring a user is not designed to wholesale not see posts from spammers. Users of this site should not have to use workarounds to attempt to compensate for basic failings in site management band administration.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Sorry but that is B/S.
These people should be banned at source by the forum admins. The user name banned and the IP address blacklisted. Ignoring a user is not designed to wholesale not see posts from spammers. Users of this site should not have to use workarounds to attempt to compensate for basic failings in site management band administration.
I get that K1W1! Just a bandaid fix to stop me getting irratated I thought I'd share. FFS.

·
Administrator
81 Posts
Hey All,

This is a larger issue that we are working on a fix for. I will personally be checking in every morning to help out the site volunteers. As mentioned, reporting the posts help us focus on them. :)

I know our larger fix is in the pipeline, but finding a resolution that these spammers don't quickly adapt to is a challenge in itself.
Thanks for everyone's help
-Gerrit

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
T
Hey All,

This is a larger issue that we are working on a fix for. I will personally be checking in every morning to help out the site volunteers. As mentioned, reporting the posts help us focus on them. :)

I know our larger fix is in the pipeline, but finding a resolution that these spammers don't quickly adapt to is a challenge in itself.
Thanks for everyone's help
-Gerrit
Thanks for the reply. Is it possible to simply hold a new member’s first post until approved? That should solve the issue.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Thanks for your work! And knowing that you are acting on the reported posts is good; will continue to report!

Spam is totally out of control on this site.
I have just reported 2 of the first 7 "Whats new" posts as obvious spam and there are at least another 3 there that have been visibible for a while.
The band aid solution is dead easy. Get another couple of Mods or Admins from different time zones and make it that the first 5 posts from any new user must be approved before they become publicly visible. If the posts don't appear the spammers go away to a large degree. There are hardly any new members of this site so manual authorising will not be a hard job.
The long term solution is to subscribe to spam watch services that automatically block known spam IP addresses (In conjunction with manual approval of all first 5 posts)
I Moderate a global site with 70,000 members and I have to say that not one spam message ever sees the light of day and we have to kill virtually no initial posts as the spammers can't even access the site to post due to the IP address monitoring.

·
Registered
766 Posts
@VSAdmin
I notice that there are three moderators for this forum. You seem to log in irregularly but at least every couple of days. Of the other two moderators neither has logged in for over 4 months! Isn’t about time those two people were shown the exit door as moderators and you asked the community for a a couple of volunteers amongst those who log in daily? Surely having people who log in more frequently than every 4 months will go a long way to if not stopping the constant stream of spam at least removing it from view promptly.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm happy to offer my services as an expeller of spam-posters. I don't need full moderator rights, just enough to delete posts and posters.
I'm in Australia to vary the time zones.

FatRob

·
Administrator
81 Posts
@VSAdmin
I notice that there are three moderators for this forum. You seem to log in irregularly but at least every couple of days. Of the other two moderators neither has logged in for over 4 months! Isn’t about time those two people were shown the exit door as moderators and you asked the community for a a couple of volunteers amongst those who log in daily? Surely having people who log in more frequently than every 4 months will go a long way to if not stopping the constant stream of spam at least removing it from view promptly.
I'm happy to offer my services as an expeller of spam-posters. I don't need full moderator rights, just enough to delete posts and posters.
I'm in Australia to vary the time zones.

FatRob
Hello all,

Sorry for the delayed response on a reply we have a bit of a backlog.

We will be rolling out some performance updates over the next few weeks to resolve the speed issues and are currently making some tweak to the spam settings with weekly releases.

Note some reCaptcha updates were released this week so it should help with the spam.

Would you guys like to help out as moderators, we can setup promotions.

Once those are resolved we will start working again on bugs and new features.

Jeff M

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hello all,

Sorry for the delayed response on a reply we have a bit of a backlog.

We will be rolling out some performance updates over the next few weeks to resolve the speed issues and are currently making some tweak to the spam settings with weekly releases.

Note some reCaptcha updates were released this week so it should help with the spam.

Would you guys like to help out as moderators, we can setup promotions.

Once those are resolved we will start working again on bugs and new features.

Jeff M
Hi Jeff,
I am happy to help out with moderation.
Regards,
FatRob

·
Registered
766 Posts
Hi Jeff,
I am happy to help out with moderation.
Regards,
FatRob
As @FatRob is in my time zone I'll let him be the volunteer from the Antipodes but it would be great if somebody in Europe and maybe one other from the US could put their hands up. That way between the three spam should be able to be removed very quickly.

·
Registered
78 Posts
As of the last 2 days or so I haven't seen any Spam or it was deleted before I checked the forums. Maybe recent changes helped filter out the Spammers?

About a week ago I had to block only one account in particular and his posts that did dozens of spam messages....since then it's been good.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts