Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 325 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Thought this might be an interesting question: since buying your scrambler do you think you made the right choice, are you still grinning from ear to ear or are you contemplating moving her on? Reasons for answer are a must .

Me first!
The more I ride her the better it gets, had loads of sports bikes and could only have fun over 100mph +, the scrambler is the opposite as I rarely go above 80 and still have a similar grin. It's comfy 2 up, looks cool as, sounds cool, cheap, handles brilliant, quick up to a ton and a bit of hooligan when you want it. I went to a biker meet over the weekend and I swear it was the one of the best looking bikes there.The only negatives is slightly snatchy throttle, a little bit stiff suspension and doesn't scare me to death ( this is why I liked sports bikes ).

·
Registered
219 Posts
I haven't ridden my other two motorcycles since I got it. When I had my TW200 or formerly, my wife's Vespa LX150 I always used to jump on them to ride to work because they were small and easy to manage. No drama involved in traversing the city from one side to the other. The scrambler is the same way. It's small, light, easy to ride. I'm happy. I kind of wish they'd have put better suspension on it but the other stuff onboard seems nice enough to keep me satisfied.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have over 3500 miles on my Scrambler now. It has not been perfect:
  • When I try turn off my left blinker, it only turns off about 50% of the time. Right one is perfect every time.
  • My headlight has come unplugged on its own 3 times.
  • My front rotor is warped pretty bad and is being replaced under warranty, but it's been 3 weeks since they ordered the part and nothing. I hate stopping my bike hard now because it shakes badly.
  • My rear tire will only make it about 4k miles, which is disappointing.
  • My $1300 Termi pipe has been off my bike for over a month. A weld broke inside the resonator, so I took it off and brought it to the dealership. They took a week to talk to Ducati. Then they said it had to go back to Italy. Then I didn't hear anything for two more weeks. Then Ducati said they woudln't warranty the pipe because there is an unrelated cosmetic scratch on the outside of the muffler (mind you, NOT on the resonator), so they call it crash damage. It's not. So I got my RMA number from the dealer and contacted Ducati myself. Now I'm arguing with them, but they still have my pipe, and I can barely remember how great it used to sound. Who know's how that'll turn out.
However, despite that list, I still absolutely love it. I ride it every day I can. :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have had my FT 4 weeks today and love it more every time I ride it. The seat kills my arse anything over a 150 kilometre stretch. But I can't bring myself to change the seat as it was one of the reasons I bought it. I am having a battle with Ducati over replacing the brake cable after the headlight grille nut chewed through it. They tried to tell me it was because it wasn't installed by an authorised Ducati dealership. There is only one way that it can be installed. It is a manufacturing fault not an installation fault. The cable is zip tied to the fork for the time being.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I am extremely happy with the Scrambler because it is so easy to ride and fun too! Since I had the high Termi pipe installed all the twitchy throttle is gone and I love the full throttle bars so much more than the stock ones. I am happy to have the Scrambler my poor Grom and FZ09 get ignored more now than they did before for sure!

·
Registered
114 Posts
800 miles no problems at all. Really like the throttle... May change rear shock.
Overall I really like this bike. Very happy with my choice.

·
Registered
97 Posts
when I had the MT09, there were still days when I wanted to ride my little scoot
when I have the Scrambler, the scoot is collecting dust.... so ya, I love riding this bike! :)

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Yes and no...

Happy with the bike overall. Knew that the suspension was going to be crap going in, so no surprises there. Pleased with the ABS implementation, as I didn't think I would like it - there have been many others I disliked - but Ducati did a good job here. They also surprised me with the slipper clutch, another job well done. Totally amazed by the tires.

Decidedly unhappy with the super uncomfortable seat. My real problem, though, is with the ridiculous service indicators that are not owner re-settable, and Ducati's less than stellar parts availability.

Reactions: SrambledRockett

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I loved this bike when I got it - and now have had it modded to my tastes, love it even more! I haven't stopped riding it (unless weather dictates) - I did 1695 miles on my Moto Guzzi in one year, I have done over 3000 on the Scrambler in 3 months :D and every sunny day it's top of my list of things I want to do! It has really given me the full joy of riding a motorbike that none of my previous bikes did.

Things I wasn't happy about -

hard suspension
hard seat
wind blast
clutch lever a bit far away from bar for my small hands
lack of anywhere to put luggage

I have now addressed all of the above and look forward to many more riding miles :D:D

·
Registered
564 Posts
Modding the bike is also a fun factor for me.
There are endless possibilities with it.
Of course riding it trumps the modding

·
Registered
589 Posts
I love mine! I ride it nearly every day, and I'm not looking forward to the winter :-( In September I'm riding down to the South of France for the Bol d'Or at Paul Ricard, it's about a 1800 mile round trip. I'm riding my Ducati cafe racer and lending my Scrambler to a friend who's flying in from Australia for the trip. I'm actually jealous that he gets to ride the Scrambler all that way! I'm making up for it by planning a trip to Morocco next year :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
A thousand miles on the bike now and while I do really like it, it's not perfect for me. I commute everyday through LA traffic, year round. I knew that would affect my mileage some but not as much as it's turned out to. I stepped up to the Scrambler from a 2007 Ninja 250. I was getting 60 MPG regularly. In the exact same conditions I now get 37mpg with my Scrambler. I figured I would at least get 45 in the city. So that's disappointing. And even though the engine is much larger and the power is nice for acceleration, I still find myself having to shift constantly to find the right gear for the speed I'm doing in the city. Just as much as my 250 which surprises me. I was also hoping that it'd be a bit better for touring. One of the biggest downfalls of my 250 was that it was exhausting to ride on the highway because the engine was at 11k rpms and it made my whole body go numb. I figured with a much larger engine that would be solved. And while it helps that the revs are lower, the fact that the seat is made of marble, the suspension is just for looks, and the range is only about 120 miles is a big limitation. I could go 280 miles on my Ninja. Crazy. I think winding backroads are really where the Scrambler shines. Unfortunately those are few and far between in Los Angeles. I can take it up to the canyons which is a blast but even then I have to fight either 45 minutes of freeway traffic or and hour across town to the PCH to get there. So I don't know that it's perfect for me. It's only my second bike so honestly I don't have much to compare it to. But I'm curious to see what other bikes would be more suited to the type of riding I do everyday. I guarantee that none of them have the cool factor that my Scrambler does.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
A thousand miles on the bike now and while I do really like it, it's not perfect for me. I commute everyday through LA traffic, year round. I knew that would affect my mileage some but not as much as it's turned out to. I stepped up to the Scrambler from a 2007 Ninja 250. I was getting 60 MPG regularly. In the exact same conditions I now get 37mpg with my Scrambler. I figured I would at least get 45 in the city. So that's disappointing. And even though the engine is much larger and the power is nice for acceleration, I still find myself having to shift constantly to find the right gear for the speed I'm doing in the city. Just as much as my 250 which surprises me. I was also hoping that it'd be a bit better for touring. One of the biggest downfalls of my 250 was that it was exhausting to ride on the highway because the engine was at 11k rpms and it made my whole body go numb. I figured with a much larger engine that would be solved. And while it helps that the revs are lower, the fact that the seat is made of marble, the suspension is just for looks, and the range is only about 120 miles is a big limitation. I could go 280 miles on my Ninja. Crazy. I think winding backroads are really where the Scrambler shines. Unfortunately those are few and far between in Los Angeles. I can take it up to the canyons which is a blast but even then I have to fight either 45 minutes of freeway traffic or and hour across town to the PCH to get there. So I don't know that it's perfect for me. It's only my second bike so honestly I don't have much to compare it to. But I'm curious to see what other bikes would be more suited to the type of riding I do everyday. I guarantee that none of them have the cool factor that my Scrambler does.
I'd have to agree I don't think that riding in a city would be a lot of fun on this bike - keeping it at low revs is a PITA. I'm fortunate where I live most of my riding is on twisty country roads and it's made for that. Think I'd be inclined to keep the Scrambler for fun and get myself a small engined bike for commuting (or even a scooter!! :eek: ;) )

1 - 20 of 325 Posts