Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Thought this might be an interesting question: since buying your scrambler do you think you made the right choice, are you still grinning from ear to ear or are you contemplating moving her on? Reasons for answer are a must .

Me first!
The more I ride her the better it gets, had loads of sports bikes and could only have fun over 100mph +, the scrambler is the opposite as I rarely go above 80 and still have a similar grin. It's comfy 2 up, looks cool as, sounds cool, cheap, handles brilliant, quick up to a ton and a bit of hooligan when you want it. I went to a biker meet over the weekend and I swear it was the one of the best looking bikes there.The only negatives is slightly snatchy throttle, a little bit stiff suspension and doesn't scare me to death ( this is why I liked sports bikes ).

· Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I recon the lifestyle thing is good and bad, it's pretty cool but totally over the top, like ducati's parts prices still a great bike though with a load of character and not sterile like a lot of other bikes out there.

· Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Yeah, I need noise! The roads are pretty smooth on the journeys I do so the slip on is high of my to do list. I'm sure the zard would make the whole experience that bit better.

· Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
This bike is a toy guys, you can't make a trip, you can't use it on a daily basis to commute to the office. I have 60km / day commuting and it's a nightmare on the highway. This is totally a sunday bike, nothing more. I sold my monster s2r 800 (250km/h bike) for this and I deeply regret it.
I have a lovely convertible company car to commute but I'd rather take my scrambler any day!! And have done on most sunny days. Great bike.

· Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Still loved here, also no vibrations with slip on, but I have a booster plug installed which might help. Best bike I've owed, I keep looking at other bikes (not that I need another) but I can't find one that will give me the same smile on my face. Fast enough, wheelies, great handling, good 2 up, economical and looks and sounds ace.

· Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Still happy but some less so now, i put a leo vince slip on and i'm not really used to feeling the new vibrations in the handle bar. :(
bar end weights i have won't fit and i fudged up the install on my bar end mirrors so taking one out and getting it back in the way it was was a real PITA.
Shame because love the look/sound of the bike with the new pipe but vibration in hand is making me sad. :(
Maybe i can try new grips but i did that on my Monster that i had the same problem with and it didn't do much .
Or could try the bar snake but yeah have to remove mess up bar end mirrors first lol.
Are you using super unleaded? Mine vibrated using it, so only use the cheap stuff now and runs nice and smooth.

· Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
I have my ICON (customized steering, TERMI, custom black colour, few this and that's) for 1000 km. It went for first service and so far so good. I an very happy with it. Snappy throttle it is...well just a thing to get used to. Very much fun, fast in corners, sounds great. All in all GOOD DEAL.
Get the booster plug to sort the snappy throttle, I've got one and it makes a world of difference.

· Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
Absolutely loved my scrambler icon until problem after problem and now I'm fed up with the thing.
Abs problems
Wiring shorting out
Fuses constantly blowing causing the bike to not start
On my 4th termi exhaust.....

I loved the bike until all of this, now I'm just wanting to get rid of it. Ok yeah it's under warranty but how long does this go on for? If I'm getting all these problems on 9001 miles exactly (speedometer stopped working so no miles being clocked) then what about the next 9001... Sorry Ducati but this is poor.
You've been well unlucky! I've had ducati's for years and never once had an issue, usually great bikes, was yours an Italian or Taiwan bike?

· Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
You could say the Scrambler is Jack of all trades, master of none ... but for me I just can't wait to ride it again and again. I've not found it unstable at any speeds, I don't feel the need to tear up the highways at 100mph + but I've often done those speeds and it hasn't been an issue. I've even had four warranty claims and it still hasn't put me off.

I think it has loads of character that other bikes haven't got, there are a lot of bikes that could do better at specific things but the Scrambler is one I won't be giving up :)
After test riding the competition I totally agree that there's not any to match it's fun factor, coolness and price ( xsr has fun but lacking the coolness) even with the issues I had it was enough fun to make me buy another even though I don't have the time to ride it!

· Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 ·
Live & learn Slainey. Congrats on an awesome bike. I have the Tiger 800XRX. The Triumph can chase down sports bikes & cruise at 100mph without a twitch. That triple engine is legendary & you will have years of enjoyment. The bike is super-durable. Every review of the Tiger 800 is spot on. Now have real fun!
I actually had a tiger 800 for the weekend whilst my Scrambler was in for a service and a few add ons fitting, wow what a bike!

· Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #178 ·
I actually had a tiger 800 for the weekend whilst my Scrambler was in for a service and a few add ons fitting, wow what a bike!
Sorry meant wow the scrambler what a bike!not the ugliest bike on the road that weighs a ton triumph. :biggrin-new::biggrin-new: Seriously we have nothing to worry about the scrambler kicks triumphs back side, I tried street triple, street twin and the tiger and all fell short of the fun factor the Ducati scrambler has, the street twin was the shortest test ride I've ever had as I knew within a mile it was beyond boring! But the triumph scrambler ((old one) was pretty good. We can't all like the same bike or there'd only be 1 ( Ducati scrambler)

· Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
Strange that objectively discussing different makes of bike inspires some to feel defensive. The Ducati Scrambler is an entry level Italian bike with a great motor, and possibly many other attributes. I would be kidding myself if I were to think it was better than all other bikes. Triumph in my view are offering the biggest threat to Ducati sales, certainly in the UK. They are no doubtless motivated by how good/popular the Ducatis are and have upped their game. Meeting all kinds of bikers over the years in all kinds of contexts, I dont think I've come across this level of brand elitism. Its an 8 grand bike that nearly justifies its price tag and is a lot of fun. 2 years on and I suspect I would be having more fun on a better built and properly equipped but more pricey alternative. This may mean a Triumph, but it could also be a Monster (test riding a 1200R this week). It is forums like this(?) that will, in theory, help to make my mind up through multi-opinion commentary and discussion. Saying something is shit without objectivity is a waste of a comment. I love my Icon but do not like the look of any of the other Scramblers in the range: far be it for me to criticise others for their choice.
Chill, forums are a bit of fun and everybody has there own opinion, I would never buy a tiger but I would buy a scrambler, thruxton and probably a speed triple but I prefer my Ducati scrambler and the monster. It all depends on what type of riding you do, I'm steady cafe to cafe with the wife on the back. My comments were mainly aimed at a troll.

· Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #195 ·
The bike itself didn't fail me. It was the aftermarket parts that failed which has made me angry and p*ssed off with it.

It is booked in for the side stand recall this coming Wednesday, I think me and the salesman may be sitting down for a chat and seeing what trade in deal we can reach.
What after market part can fail to that degree?

· Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #196 ·
Wow, your post is concise & accurate. Sums up the bike perfectly. Forums like this are valuable & differing views create an environment that fosters knowledge. Presently, I have only 3 Triumphs & no Ducati's. That does not make me a troll...I am here because I consider Ducati in the top 3 motorcycle manufacturers & I may own one in the future. I value the opinion of Ducati owners because that is where the most valuable & pertinent information comes from. The "troll" tag I was assigned started last year when the scrambler first came out. The defense of the bike was more fierce back then when everyone was super touchy, as the bike was new & most all wanted to give it a chance. But as time went by the largest nuances that could not be successfully rectified have stood out like a sore thumb, most of which are listed by ash73. It is normal to defend a large purchase even if it is not satisfactory. And I see a lot of that here. Bottom line in researching is to read thru all the name-calling & look for the facts. I think diverse views add to the information we seek, so calling me a troll is humorous to me. A troll contributes nothing to a forum. If I get banned, we all lose because the thought-provoking aspect of this good forum will erode . We learn nothing from "like-minded" people, we only feel comforted by their affirmation. Now carry on.
Internet troll
Page issues
Person who sows discord on the Internet
In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal, on-topic discussion,[3] often for the troll's amusement.

· Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #217 ·
It's not like the 803cc engine isn't smooth or runs hot. (The heat comes from the side exhausts) it's just the maintenance.

I didn't think it would bother me but a major belt service and or valve adjustment every year is kind of annoying. The Testastretta II motor doesn't need a valve check for 18,000 miles and belts last 5 years.

The Scrambler needs a valve check every 7500 miles and belts every 2 years. So every year is an expensive £300 service for me. Not a problem for everyone but it's a little inconvenient.

Also, with that newer motor comes so much more power. I love the Scrambler but I want more now and I'm yearning for a Hypermotard SP nowadays.
Hi Josh,

Belts on the scrambler are every 5 years, I agree the 7500 valve check is a added expense and a pain but I just love the little bike and I think the power matches the bike perfectly that's why I'm contemplating a track bike, maybe a cbr600 04/05 for £2500 ish bottom money for top fun.

· Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #236 ·
Who told you that Armo?

Ducati Glasgow has a goodservice plan section on their site. The Scrambler falls under the 'N2' category.
Right from their site:

"Belts"

Cam Belts must be changed every 15,000 miles or 2 years

Minor Service (Every 12 months)
£229.82 inc 20% VAT
Text Line Font Number Circle

Major Service (Every 24 Months)
£268.82 inc 20% VAT
Add cost of cam belts for all models
My service manual
Who told you that Armo?

Ducati Glasgow has a goodservice plan section on their site. The Scrambler falls under the 'N2' category.
Right from their site:

"Belts"

Cam Belts must be changed every 15,000 miles or 2 years

Minor Service (Every 12 months)
£229.82 inc 20% VAT

Major Service (Every 24 Months)
£268.82 inc 20% VAT
Add cost of cam belts for all models
From my Ducati scrambler service manual 60 months
Text Line Font Number Circle

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.