Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
21 - 40 of 325 Posts

· Premium Member
613 Posts
Change your grearing...

Fitting a larger front sprocket will solve both your fuel mileage and shifting issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

· Registered
965 Posts
Agree with most comments in regard to the seat and rear shock which eventually will be upgraded, but I do find I ride the Scrambler more then any recent other bike. I think its mainly that I no longer have any interest in 500 mile days anymore and that its just easy to throw your leg over and go compared to many other larger bikes I've owned.

· Registered
31 Posts
I only have around 400 miles on my Icon, and I'm very happy with it but like most people say there are some issues.

I've already added the comfort seat (big improvement IMO), a Dart fly screen (easy to install, looks good and does help on the highways although you never forget you're on naked bike) and a DM luggage rack (small and light but effective and looks good on the bike).

The fueling has smoothed out a bit with a few miles, but it's still like an on/off switch especially at low speeds. My dealer naturally suggested I get a new exhaust and let them put it on the dyno for a full reflash update for close to 3K, but they also said they could do a simple reflash that would take care of most of the issues for $375. I'm leaning toward the simpler option and will probably do that when its in for the 600 mile service.

The suspension is mediocre. Once again there are several expensive options to take care of this, but I'm probably going to go with a Nitron R1 or basic Ohlins shock and just run with that.

In spite of a couple issues this probably is the most fun bike I've ever owned. It's like a playful puppy that you can't help loving! Not the best commuter or touring bike, but it's a basic bike that does most things well.

A couple other notes;

This is my first Ducati, and this may just be my dealership, but there seems to be an assumption of owner wealth because you own the bike, lol! When I mention anything to them that could be improved, their response is 'for 2 to 3K we could improve that for you'. When I mention to them I'm not really interested in investing 16 to 18K on a Scrambler they just give me a funny look. I do think that for around 1K (reflash and rear shock) I can improve the bike greatly.

One last thing, I know that Ducati has marketed the bike to a certain 'crowd', and seemed to have dedicated most of the accessories to enhancing the 'look' of either the bike or the driver. I would have preferred if they had focused on the mechanical functionality accessories. I know they built the bike to a price point, but I do think if they had upped the starting price a bit they could have resolved most of the issues at the factory (IMO)...

· Registered
965 Posts
Another thing I have noticed other then the dealer acting like a Harley dealer :) is that without exception every single accessory I have purchased so far that is manufactured and marketed by Ducati comes with absolutely ZERO instructions. Everything from the bag kit which wasn't too hard to figure out to the obvious but still an example the vinyl tank protector.

I have a theory on this however since all of the Ducati accessories always have a notation that "If installed by an authorized Ducati dealer the following warranty applies"
That tells me allot on why they neglect to include any instructions in their accessories, but I also feel that is a mistake in good customer service.

· Registered
1,035 Posts
This is my first Ducati, and this may just be my dealership, but there seems to be an assumption of owner wealth because you own the bike, lol! When I mention anything to them that could be improved, their response is 'for 2 to 3K we could improve that for you'. When I mention to them I'm not really interested in investing 16 to 18K on a Scrambler they just give me a funny look. I do think that for around 1K (reflash and rear shock) I can improve the bike greatly.

One last thing, I know that Ducati has marketed the bike to a certain 'crowd', and seemed to have dedicated most of the accessories to enhancing the 'look' of either the bike or the driver. I would have preferred if they had focused on the mechanical functionality accessories. I know they built the bike to a price point, but I do think if they had upped the starting price a bit they could have resolved most of the issues at the factory (IMO)...
I agree, I've avoided the Scrambler 'accessories' and have only got aftermarket stuff which actually does a practical job - at a fraction of the cost. It's also my first Ducati also and I can't believe the prices they are asking for 'genuine' Scrambler parts - but even if they were mechanically functional as you say - can you imagine the cost ... :eek: I'll be sticking to aftermarket I think!

· Registered
1,531 Posts
That "Lifestyle" crap associated with bikes is disgusting sometimes, I do my best to ignore it and go on. $375 for a simple reflash sounds like highway robbery to me, but I have very little experience with EFI and don't actually know what that entails. I think a reflash should be part of the first service if the owner is dissatisfied with the bike's fueling. Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and experiences so far.

Sarah

· Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I recon the lifestyle thing is good and bad, it's pretty cool but totally over the top, like ducati's parts prices still a great bike though with a load of character and not sterile like a lot of other bikes out there.

· Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Yeah, I need noise! The roads are pretty smooth on the journeys I do so the slip on is high of my to do list. I'm sure the zard would make the whole experience that bit better.

· Registered
285 Posts
After about 700 Kay's travelled, I can put up with the hard seat and the harsh suspension! All I really want is a slip on exhaust, :adoration:
One week and 1k miles later, it's the same for me. The Icon seat is breaking in (surprising, right?!) and I'm getting used to the teeth-rattling suspension. Lol I think when I finally do end up getting new shocks, I'm going to be SHOCKED by the difference. :p

Took a ride today to the coast, really appreciated the 20* cooling difference. Heh, almost didn't want to leave. The bike performed very well, lane splitting and weaving through traffic like a pro. It's funny, I've waved in thanks today to more cars letting me go first at an intersection or turn than at other bike riders; it's as though riding a Scrambler gets you more cred with the cagers. Hey, I'll certainly take it!!

· Registered
73 Posts
One week and 1k miles later, it's the same for me. The Icon seat is breaking in (surprising, right?!) and I'm getting used to the teeth-rattling suspension. Lol I think when I finally do end up getting new shocks, I'm going to be SHOCKED by the difference. :p

Took a ride today to the coast, really appreciated the 20* cooling difference. Heh, almost didn't want to leave. The bike performed very well, lane splitting and weaving through traffic like a pro. It's funny, I've waved in thanks today to more cars letting me go first at an intersection or turn than at other bike riders; it's as though riding a Scrambler gets you more cred with the cagers. Hey, I'll certainly take it!!
I was thinking the same about the seat and the rear shock as everything will need to bed in a bit, but I'm hoping that I have the advantage because I weigh 110kgs, :emmersed:

· Registered
46 Posts
Still grinning...have more goodies on the way. Never have to go fast on the scrambler....the look on people as to what kind of bike it is; is priceless.

Reactions: El Toro

· Registered
424 Posts
I won't go into my mods here, which have greatly improved the little bugger but I have close to 8,000 miles on it now and am enjoying it more as time goes on and it was good from the start.

After the valve adjustments @ 2nd service, it gave me a very pleasant surprise of becoming even better than I'd become accustomed too.

Smoother, increased mpg and "seat-of-pants" more power (translation=more unintentional wheelies).
:love4:

· Registered
114 Posts
Other than changing the tires for just a different feel... I won't be making any other changes. The 16t front sprocket, Mupo front and rear suspension, termi race exhaust, fly screen, front and rear spindles, frame plugs, bar ends and a few other minor changes are all I needed to make this bike fit me perfectly. I am glad I had the opportunity to make the mods at my own pace and as I had a chance to think about each change. I enjoy the ride and don't see that coming to an end any time soon.

21 - 40 of 325 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.