Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The Ducati Scrambler is the bike from Bologna for 2015. Loyal Ducatisti might be more excited by the upgraded Ducati 1299 Panigale, or the all-new Ducati Multistrada 1200, but in terms of company growth and the future of the Italian brand, the Ducati Scrambler takes center stage.

With four waves of 30+ journalists coming to Palm Springs for the international press launch, it’s clear that Ducati is casting a wide net with the Scrambler, especially with the number of non-industry publications present.

The term “lifestyle brand” is often a four-letter word in the motorcycle industry, of course ignoring the obvious that all of motorcycling is a lifestyle choice in the first world, but nonetheless the term has been used liberally with Ducati and the company’s racing heritage.

Continue Reading @ A Non-Hipster Review of the Ducati Scrambler

Thanks for the tip Madaza!

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
A lot of bikes are built in Thailand including the "old reliable" KLR 650. Quality control comes from the factory floor not the country. The globalized economy (read: built where corporations can maximize profit by reducing their labor costs) will give us even more manufacturing in what used to be remote, and poor, countries. Thai workers are generally well educated and good workers. I would expect a quality product.

·
Registered
965 Posts
The info I read earlier stated that the first Icons coming to the USA where going to be made in Bologna Italy. The Thailand plant was shipping to India and Asia but I guess it could change. Either way I'm sure things will go fine.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Does anybody know how we will know where the bike was assembled? I assume that it's on the VIN identification tag that is attached to the frame.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Another thing I'm interested about is whether these bikes are just assembled in Thailand or are they actually built there too. I imagine a lot of the parts are being shipped to Thailand from Italy.

·
Registered
38 Posts
At the local dealer today looking at a "pilot lot" production Scrambler. The mechanic thought the "Z" indicated mfg in Italy (ZDM = Italy Ducati Motorcycle). I wonder if perhaps the Z just indicates the home country of the Manufacturer regardless of point of assembly. Just throwing that out there.
IMG_1608.JPG

·
Registered
90 Posts
Z means Italy.
Character 11: Manufacturing Plant CodeB = Bologna Italy
V = Varese Italy (the old MV factory)
What does it show for character 11?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Character 11 is the letter "B" so guess this one was built in Bologna anyway. Thanks. Of course won't know about mine until it is delivered in June. This bike was one of the first 100 built so I guess that does not tell us much about full production. I photoshopped out the full VIN just because I did not know if there might be sensitivity to having full VINs published.

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about where it's made, where it's assembled or where the parts come from, It's the quality control that's important, is it made to the correct specs, I'm sure that Audi who now own Ducati have a vested interest in making sure they get it right,
My 2013 BMW had parts on it made in China and Taiwan , My 2014 Harley TG has parts made in China and India, We tend to forget that the biggest motorcycle manufacturer Hero Motorcycles is in India,

BMW Ducati Honda Triumph all have large plants in Thailand, there are 17 million powered two wheelers on Thai roads, mind blowing :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not me either. I thought it was opposite. That the EU and Asian models were built in Thailand, while the US models in Italy. Don't shoot me if I'm wrong ;-)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I live in Hat Yai, Thailand and received the Classic with an EVAP installed. As far I know, the only state, where an EVAP is mandatory, is California. I probably got mine directly from an American assembly line.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
I live in Hat Yai, Thailand and received the Classic with an EVAP installed. As far I know, the only state, where an EVAP is mandatory, is California. I probably got mine directly from an American assembly line.
American models are made in Thailand.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
There are 2 "VINS" (serial numbers actually) - one on the motor and the other on the frame. The motor "VIN" designates where the motor was built, the frame "VIN" where the entire bike was assembled.

Any one (or both) one can originate in either location.

There is a chart showing all this, including origins, in the service manual.

frame.jpg

motor.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts