Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Icon. Recently got a set of the ASV C5 levers. Brake install went quickly, but the nut was stripped on the clutch side so I had to take it to the shop (Munroe Motors in SF) to grind it off and do the install. I had done a fair amount of research and seen plenty of other owners saying they were a great upgrade.

There was one mechanic at the shop, however, who strongly cautioned me against putting it on (the other mechanic I had been working with didn't mention it in the 2 conversations we had). This other guy claimed that the angle of clutch engagement on the ASV lever was much different from OEM, and that because of it, the clutch would wear down quickly and require an otherwise avoidable replacement. I tried to argue that if I left it adjusted all the way out it wouldn't make a difference, but he still insisted it was a bad idea. I thought it was weird the other mechanic didn't mention it at all when this guy was so ardently against it. maybe he just wanted my money thought I was a dumb woman, who knows!

tl;dr: mechanic told me the ASV clutch lever will screw my bike up. I hadn't heard this anywhere else—including from the other mechanic I was working with. anyone have any experience with this?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I have a 2016 Icon. Recently got a set of the ASV C5 levers. Brake install went quickly, but the nut was stripped on the clutch side so I had to take it to the shop (Munroe Motors in SF) to grind it off and do the install. I had done a fair amount of research and seen plenty of other owners saying they were a great upgrade.

There was one mechanic at the shop, however, who strongly cautioned me against putting it on (the other mechanic I had been working with didn't mention it in the 2 conversations we had). This other guy claimed that the angle of clutch engagement on the ASV lever was much different from OEM, and that because of it, the clutch would wear down quickly and require an otherwise avoidable replacement. I tried to argue that if I left it adjusted all the way out it wouldn't make a difference, but he still insisted it was a bad idea. I thought it was weird the other mechanic didn't mention it at all when this guy was so ardently against it. maybe he just wanted my money thought I was a dumb woman, who knows!

tl;dr: mechanic told me the ASV clutch lever will screw my bike up. I hadn't heard this anywhere else—including from the other mechanic I was working with. anyone have any experience with this?
If you have the required free-play (2-3mm) of the lever before you feel resistance of the clutch then I can't see how this could affect the clutch wear. Normally any problems with the clutch when after-market levers have been fitted is because they were fitted badly and not adjusted properly.
Maybe that's what he's done in the past but doesn't realise it was down to him.

·
Registered
81 Posts
As hui said, have the correct free play and you are good to go. If the angle of the lever takes up too much free play, then use a different lever or get a longer cable. I replace my levers on most of my motorcycles and never worry about the clutch other than the free play. My one-finger clutch lever on my grom had some issues due to the cable position. That lever has two cable position options and the one that gave me more leverage also gave me almost no free play. I chose that over the hard pull position since I have very strong springs and one finger pulls were too hard. I burn that clutch a bit and when it gets hot it complains at stoplights (kicks, grabs, pulls when stopped), but it is just a wheelie Grom anyway. ;)

·
Registered
892 Posts
Think this through and explain to me how the angle of engagement at the lever end of the cable makes any difference whatsoever to the mechanical ratio at the other end of the cable. As ls long as the cable free play is adjusted correctly and the lever pulls the cable the correct distance that is the end of the matter. You could pull the cable with your teeth while riding if you really wanted to to and it would still work.
The so called mechanic you were talking to should have stuck to flipping burgers because he obviously has exactly ZERO aptitude for mechanical things.
The guy was talking s hit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts