Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'll give this one a try. Makes a little bit of noise but if I wasn't trying to hear it I wouldn't. Not fully scrubbed in but feels good.

DSCF6856.JPG

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have had an Avon Trailrider on the rear of my Icon for about the last 3,000 km. Right now it is matched with a 3/4 worn Pirreli Scorpion Trail II. I routinely ride on both gravel and sealed roads, and find the Avon performs at least as well as the oem MT 60s, but looks as if it should give me up to about 15,000 kms compared to the 5,500 kms of the MT 60. I also rate the Trailrider superior in all respects to the Scorpion Trail II I previously had on the rear.

The only issue with the Avon Trailrider series is that is that they don't make a matching !8" tyre for the front. Avon do, however, make a rear 110/80 - 18 which may be used on the rear provided it is mounted the opposite way to the directional arrows iaw the following advice.....Tires Directional Arrows Explained By Avon Tyres

·
Registered
995 Posts
The only issue with the Avon Trailrider series is that is that they don't make a matching !8" tyre for the front. Avon do, however, make a rear 110/80 - 18 which may be used on the rear provided it is mounted the opposite way to the directional arrows iaw the following advice.....Tires Directional Arrows Explained By Avon Tyres
The few tyre places I ventured to in Sydney a while back refused to do this for me so I stuck MT60s on again. Shame as I'd have liked to give the Avons a go.

·
Registered
182 Posts
The few tyre places I ventyred to in Sydney a while back refused to do this for me so I stuck MT60s on again. Shame as I'd have liked to give the Avons a go.
Suppose they have to cover themselves for liability reasons. I've discussed this with my local tyre bloke and he is willing to fit the Trailrider on the front, but I'm in no hurry as the worn Pirelli front seems to be working well with the almost new rear Trailrider.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since Avon is OK with running the 110-80 rear Trailrider on the front per the correct rotation, I don't think there would be any liability concerns. My only concern is that the 110-18 TR is a bias tire with a lower speed rating and some of my riding is pretty quick pavement. Right now I've got a Bridgstone A41 on the front with a good bit of tread left. The tires work quite nicely together. As far as I know the A41 and MT60s are the only dual sport tires available for 110-80.

The most miles I've gotten out of a rear tire was a Michelin PR2. 7000 mi and the last 2000 mi it wasn't all that great a tire. Everything else: 4500mi. Hoping for more miles with the Trailrider

·
Registered
995 Posts
Since Avon is OK with running the 110-80 rear Trailrider on the front per the correct rotation, I don't think there would be any liability concerns. SNIP…
I don't really trust an insurance company should I be unlucky enough to need one to take that view. I'm a fairly low mileage per year rider anyway and the MT60s didn't worry me at all, they just didn't last so long.

·
Registered
182 Posts
[QUOTE="aldntn, post: 232973, member: 1207"....... As far as I know the A41 and MT60s are the only dual sport tires available for 110-80.....[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure the Continental TKC 70 in 110 - 80 is of radial construction as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts