Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Optimate is one of the better brands. No problems there.
Generally you will have to connect a positive and earth lead to the two battery terminals with some sort of plug on the other end to allow the Optimate to connect to it. There are a couple of different options for plugs it does not matter which one you use. If you look at the third image on the Optimate add you posted you will see the lead Optimate supply on the left side of the pile of goodies supplied with the unit.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It is a standard SAE plug. The Optimate is supplied with one.
Ok, thanks. Not sure if this is standard or if it is a part from the bike shop... They might have left it when i bought the bike.

However, the optimate 4 have it all in the box.

Anyone knows what Ah the Desert Sled battery has? More than 50 Ah?

Found a great vid on Youtube.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Anyone knows what Ah the Desert Sled battery has? More than 50 Ah?
Why would you want a 50Ah or larger battery on a motorcycle? Do you intend to leave it with the lights on all night and the engine not running?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why would you want a 50Ah or larger battery on a motorcycle? Do you intend to leave it with the lights on all night and the engine not running?
50 Ah is nothing but a number for me.

·
Registered
896 Posts
50 Ah is nothing but a number for me.
In simplistic terms Ah is the capacity of the battery in a similar way to litres being the capacity of the fuel tank. That does not mean that a 50Ah battery has 5 times more capacity than a 10Ah battery though it is not quite that simple.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Actually it is. “Ah” is a measure of capacity. A 50 Ah battery can contain 5 x the energy of a 10 Ah battery.

That said, cranking current is more important than capacity to start an engine.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Actually it is. “Ah” is a measure of capacity. A 50 Ah battery can contain 5 x the energy of a 10 Ah battery.
In basic terms yes but it is not quite that simple as I said earlier. It depends on the hour rate that the battery is measured at. If both batteries have the same hour rate then yes 50 is 5 times greater than 10. If they have different hour rates then 50 is not 5 times greater than 10.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
As I said before, max cranking capacity in Amps is more important than Ah’s. That’s what makes an engine turn over.

(Internal impedance)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have 5 roadbikes; 3 Ducatis, a BMW and a Buell. All are hooked to Battery Tender brand trickle chargers when not being ridden( including all winter long). They are very effecient. I’ve never had an issue with this brand. Remember, just because your battery is hooked to a tender doesn’t mean it can’t go bad. Also, even if it tests out at 12+ volts does not mean that it is good to go; it may just have a “surface charge”.

·
Registered
12 Posts
What should I charge my battery with during winter, and how to do it?

I think I buy one Optimate 4.

OptiMATE 4 Dual Program - TecMate

This works fine? Anyone tested?

I have a black contact under the seat. Is this for the battery?
I try get a photo of it...
Buy the OptiMATE 4, attach their lead which comes in the kit to your battery, remove the one you already have fitted and dispose of it. Connect the charger to the lead, then switch on the AC power. Disconnect the AC power before disconnecting the lead to the battery. Leave it plugged in and switched on when the bike is not in use, it does all sorts of tests and de-sulfinates the plates within the battery. I have three different bikes, I switch my OptiMATE 4 charger between each bike every couple of days during the winter and less frequently in the cool English summers (I charge the batteries for 24 hours just once per week in warmer weather).

In Sweden, just leave it plugged in to your battery and connected to the mains AC all the time during winter & spring, the unit only draws mains power for the battery when required by the system.

Steve

Reactions: Tyr
1 - 20 of 20 Posts