Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2017 DS with the original battery. First start up of the year and the battery wasn't having it. Always on the charger and never a problem. I guess five years is about time for a new one. How long have you folks been getting out of your batteries?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Battery life depends more on the conditions the battery lives in and the way it is used more than its age.
We live in relatively mild conditions (we can ride all year if we want) and batteries last a long time. My 2016 Tiger is still on its original battery and previous to that my 2007 V-Strom had its original battery when it was sold in late 2014.
If you live somewhere where the battery is subjected to temperature extremes hot or cold for long periods the battery life will shorten but at 5 years old it would be around an average time to be needing a replacement.

·
Registered
823 Posts
2017 DS with the original battery. First start up of the year and the battery wasn't having it. Always on the charger and never a problem. I guess five years is about time for a new one. How long have you folks been getting out of your batteries?
UK climate and mine was toast after about 6 years but did see some abuse. It went totally flat one winter, almost made it through one more summer but then kept causing issues and had to be replaced.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A few curious details. I know that on the best of days, a lead/acid battery is a very delicate chemistry experiment. Slight variances can make a big difference. The original five year old battery registered 12.7 volts on the meter. The Ducati manual states that the battery isn't considered to be low until it dips below 11.7 volts. The new OEM replacement, after an overnight charge was showing 13.7 volts on the meter. The bike started quickly with the new battery and I guess that's all that matters. Well I'm good to go now so I'll see you out there.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Weird things happen when the battery starts to go.
Mine still registered well over 12v when tested but seemed to lose its ability to put out peak power when starting.

got stranded several times when engine cut out and after starting fine in the morning, couldn’t start again on the road.

Eventually it just stopped starting at all, but still read 12.3V.
Was very worried it was something more serious but took a chance on just getting a new battery anyway, started fine ever since.

So battery voltage is only part of the story.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just had the original battery on my 2016Classic replaced. Keep it on a tender during sporadic use, but ride all year round (Pennsylvania). Never had any problems with my battery, but while in for Desmo, the shop said it wasn’t fully charging. Don’t know if it was bad, or if shop just wanted to squeeze another buck out of me. My only accessory is a hard-wired gps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts