231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah yes, great point. Thanks Skippy!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So as an update...

I did order the covers above and had them installed during my last service. The CF covers required a little modifying to fit; the spark plug holes had to be opened wider to fit the SCR1100 spark plug wire boots, and a couple of the bolt holes needed to use longer bolts to fit - but since the Hypermotard and SCR1100 engines are essentially the same, so the rest bolted right up.

However, as good as they look on the bike, I will have to remove them. The Hypermotard's exhaust is ran away from the bike underneath, and the rear pipe exits the back - it does not route beside the engine like the SCR1100 does. What this means is, the SCR1100 exhaust is literally cooking these CF covers and the clear coat has already burned off. The heat behind that pipe is severe, so anyone thinking of running without belt covers for the look may want to think twice - they may singe or burn up their belt on the vertical cylinder. So, I went ahead and ordered the CNC covers and will have them put on while its in the shop for the engine knock.

It's a shame because they look really good! But you can see how the pipe routes right in front of them and unless I want to run a fully custom exhaust modeled after the Hypermotard's design, I will need to use a more heat resistant design.

upload_2019-9-11_5-49-33.png

·
Registered
796 Posts
So as an update...

I did order the covers above and had them installed during my last service. The CF covers required a little modifying to fit; the spark plug holes had to be opened wider to fit the SCR1100 spark plug wire boots, and a couple of the bolt holes needed to use longer bolts to fit - but since the Hypermotard and SCR1100 engines are essentially the same, so the rest bolted right up.

However, as good as they look on the bike, I will have to remove them. The Hypermotard's exhaust is ran away from the bike underneath, and the rear pipe exits the back - it does not route beside the engine like the SCR1100 does. What this means is, the SCR1100 exhaust is literally cooking these CF covers and the clear coat has already burned off. The heat behind that pipe is severe, so anyone thinking of running without belt covers for the look may want to think twice - they may singe or burn up their belt on the vertical cylinder. So, I went ahead and ordered the CNC covers and will have them put on while its in the shop for the engine knock.

It's a shame because they look really good! But you can see how the pipe routes right in front of them and unless I want to run a fully custom exhaust modeled after the Hypermotard's design, I will need to use a more heat resistant design.

View attachment 41063
That's a shame and I'm surprised that the covers can't take the heat. The covers on the Akrapovic exhaust ar also made of cf and there are also many exhaust cans and tips made of this material. The heat does come from behind in these aplications but I doubt that this would make a very big difference. Also there are lot's of other aplications wgere the heat also comes from both sides. Did you take up your problem with the supplier because I would like to know what they think about it(allthough they officialy don't list them for the 1100 Scrambler).
And you are right, they do look really good.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's a shame and I'm surprised that the covers can't take the heat. The covers on the Akrapovic exhaust ar also made of cf and there are also many exhaust cans and tips made of this material. The heat does come from behind in these aplications but I doubt that this would make a very big difference. Also there are lot's of other aplications wgere the heat also comes from both sides. Did you take up your problem with the supplier because I would like to know what they think about it(allthough they officialy don't list them for the 1100 Scrambler).
And you are right, they do look really good.
You have a point on CF used in other applications not being impacted by heat. It's possible that its just the clear coat on these that wasn't designed specifically for high heat applications. I suspect the quality on these probably isn't top notch given the relatively cheap price either, but it is just the clear coat that's burning off and the CF is intact. Who knows....they certainly have a major 'out' they can always say that the application was only for the Hypermotard and not for the Scrambler. Even if they sent me a new set, I wouldn't consider putting them on since I have the CNC ones coming and those were specifically designed to be used on the 1100. However it shakes out, I would not consider running an open belt or SpeedyMoto units on this bike, because I think you'd be asking for it with a belt getting weak or snapping.

·
Registered
796 Posts
You have a point on CF used in other applications not being impacted by heat. It's possible that its just the clear coat on these that wasn't designed specifically for high heat applications. I suspect the quality on these probably isn't top notch given the relatively cheap price either, but it is just the clear coat that's burning off and the CF is intact. Who knows....they certainly have a major 'out' they can always say that the application was only for the Hypermotard and not for the Scrambler. Even if they sent me a new set, I wouldn't consider putting them on since I have the CNC ones coming and those were specifically designed to be used on the 1100. However it shakes out, I would not consider running an open belt or SpeedyMoto units on this bike, because I think you'd be asking for it with a belt getting weak or snapping.
It's a bad idea in the first place to run the belts without covers imo.
You could sand the cg covers down and spray paint them with some VHT transparent gloss paint but as you already have the CNC covers coming there probably isn't much need for it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a quick update....

So, still haven't gotten my 1100 back yet. The shop had to collect an audio clip of the noise and send it to Ducati for them to diagnose. Having a second bike has certainly helped take out the sting of not being able to ride, but I do miss my bike!

So speaking of the second bike, I've clocked just shy of 1200 miles on my CB1100 in less than a month! What an incredible machine. The mod bug has bitten; frame sliders, Yoshimura slip on exhaust (drilled out the baffle), bar end mirrors, Biltwell motocross bars, Dart flyscreen and custom fabb'ed a clean tag bracket to unclutter the rear fender. Got a nice throaty growl now from that big Honda 4 cylinder :love4:

Weekend.jpeg

·
Registered
796 Posts
Just a quick update....

So, still haven't gotten my 1100 back yet. The shop had to collect an audio clip of the noise and send it to Ducati for them to diagnose. Having a second bike has certainly helped take out the sting of not being able to ride, but I do miss my bike!

So speaking of the second bike, I've clocked just shy of 1200 miles on my CB1100 in less than a month! What an incredible machine. The mod bug has bitten; frame sliders, Yoshimura slip on exhaust (drilled out the baffle), bar end mirrors, Biltwell motocross bars, Dart flyscreen and custom fabb'ed a clean tag bracket to unclutter the rear fender. Got a nice throaty growl now from that big Honda 4 cylinder :love4:

View attachment 41437
Shame your Scrambler isn't sorted yet.
Glad you are enjoying your Honda in the meantime though.
The mods look cool but I probabably would have replaced the rear light and turnsignals first. That rearlight is just huge and doesn't suit the bike at all(imo).
Bet it sounds great with that Yoshi pipe.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Funny you mention that Skippy - I intended to do that immediately, but the rear tail light choices are almost non existent for the CB. There are a few vintage CB750 style ones (still big and also $$$) and others that fit different bikes but require some drilling and modification of the fender to fit. There are also fender eliminator kits, but I did that to my Thruxton and I'm kind of "over" that look and the rear wheel slinging dirt/filth on to my back.

Based on all of that I decided to wait and see if I run across something more plug and play. Also a buddy of mine has a Yamaha MT10 and wants to take off his stock LED signals for some motogadget ones and he said I can have them. So, I am going to see if those will keep me happy in the meantime.

I also emailed the Ducati shop today to see if I can get an update. If they have to tear it down I'd like to know sooner than later. I'd also like to mentally prepare myself if they need to keep it through the Winter.

Until then, we'll keep doing some weekend fall rides into the mountains. :thumbsup:

Shenandoah.jpeg

Reactions: Skippy'73

·
Registered
796 Posts
Funny you mention that Skippy - I intended to do that immediately, but the rear tail light choices are almost non existent for the CB. There are a few vintage CB750 style ones (still big and also $$$) and others that fit different bikes but require some drilling and modification of the fender to fit. There are also fender eliminator kits, but I did that to my Thruxton and I'm kind of "over" that look and the rear wheel slinging dirt/filth on to my back.

Based on all of that I decided to wait and see if I run across something more plug and play. Also a buddy of mine has a Yamaha MT10 and wants to take off his stock LED signals for some motogadget ones and he said I can have them. So, I am going to see if those will keep me happy in the meantime.

I also emailed the Ducati shop today to see if I can get an update. If they have to tear it down I'd like to know sooner than later. I'd also like to mentally prepare myself if they need to keep it through the Winter.

Until then, we'll keep doing some weekend fall rides into the mountains. :thumbsup:

View attachment 41439
I do love the CB1100 retro look and am all about keeping the rear fender just needs smaller versions of the rear lights to keep it looking nice and retro and still authentic.

I found these solutions on a cb1100 forum and think they look pretty nice.
CB1100 Forum - Tail Light Options?
CB1100 Forum - Smaller blinkers

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I do love the CB1100 retro look and am all about keeping the rear fender just needs smaller versions of the rear lights to keep it looking nice and retro and still authentic.

I found these solutions on a cb1100 forum and think they look pretty nice.
CB1100 Forum - Tail Light Options?
CB1100 Forum - Smaller blinkers
Those signals and the tail light look good. Dont get me wrong, I fully intend to replace them, I'm just a little reluctant to drill into the fender right now. In all likelihood I will probably do the signals first, and wait for the "right" tail lamp. I do like the retro CB750 ones on samurider, and I've ordered from them before and despite being in Japan, they are super quick! Something like this one which is in the spirit of the retro look but not the size of a 747 jet intake:

upload_2019-10-7_17-43-56.png

I did just order a new seat from them too, so I need to start pacing myself. LMAO.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Those signals and the tail light look good. Dont get me wrong, I fully intend to replace them, I'm just a little reluctant to drill into the fender right now. In all likelihood I will probably do the signals first, and wait for the "right" tail lamp. I do like the retro CB750 ones on samurider, and I've ordered from them before and despite being in Japan, they are super quick! Something like this one which is in the spirit of the retro look but not the size of a 747 jet intake:

View attachment 41465

I did just order a new seat from them too, so I need to start pacing myself. LMAO.
Hahaha I understand. I have seen that Samurider fender as well but I think the stock fender looks pretty cool matching the front chrome one. Finding the right tail lamp will make it look a lot sleeker though. The original unit is just huge and I'm not the kind of guy that bothers with changing those kind of things normally but in this case it would have been one of the first things that I would have taken off. Just enjoy it as much as you can while the weather is still good!

·
Registered
97 Posts
...but since the Hypermotard and SCR1100 engines are essentially the same, so the rest bolted right up...

View attachment 41063
This got me thinking and I pulled up some pics of my old bikes...

The exhaust routing of the monsters is almost identical to the scrambler in regards to where the exhaust passes by the belt covers. The hyper is clearly different though. I would think good quality CF covers shouldnt have an issue, especially since the 1100 S models came with cf covers originally. Just sharing thoughts. I love the looks of the covers on your scram. Hope you figure it out

2008 Hyper

2009 Monster 1100

2012 Monster 1100evo

2018 Scram 1100

Current:’18 xDiavel S, ‘18 1100 Sport
Sold: 16 Scrambler Icon, ‘15 Monster 1200, ‘14 Diavel Strada, ‘12 Monster 1100evo, ‘09 Monster 1100, ‘08 NM Hypermotard #7

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This got me thinking and I pulled up some pics of my old bikes...

The exhaust routing of the monsters is almost identical to the scrambler in regards to where the exhaust passes by the belt covers. The hyper is clearly different though. I would think good quality CF covers shouldnt have an issue, especially since the 1100 S models came with cf covers originally. Just sharing thoughts. I love the looks of the covers on your scram. Hope you figure it out

2008 Hyper

2009 Monster 1100

2012 Monster 1100evo

2018 Scram 1100

Current:’18 xDiavel S, ‘18 1100 Sport
Sold: 16 Scrambler Icon, ‘15 Monster 1200, ‘14 Diavel Strada, ‘12 Monster 1100evo, ‘09 Monster 1100, ‘08 NM Hypermotard #7
Thanks Monster Torch, I think they look great too; I was hoping they would last and I agree on the Monster 1100 also having had them with the same routing. I really think the ones I got just weren't super high quality or something. Either way, I got the CNC ones and shipped them to the shop to install while they have my bike.

Speaking of that......ugh. The shop is completely stumped and Ducati has asked them to "investigate further" and "let us know if you find something." I have a sinking feeling that I will be getting the bike back after all of this time with no resolution for the knocking. I know I wont be able to live with that outcome; the last time I rode it, all I could hear was that knocking. Riding it just worries me that I am damaging the bike. I am also worried that failing to resolve this now, will only lead to a problem down the road when the warranty is up and then I'm SOL. If I get it back as is, I simply wont ride it, so why even keep it?

I will try one more shot, there's another shop in the area that has a Ducati guru, and he did my slave cylinder. I am very impressed with his work, and when my buddy dropped off his Panigale at his shop a few weeks ago, I told him about the issue with the Scrambler and he not only knew EXACTLY the noise was I was describing, he also said that some Monster 1100's experienced that before and since the engines are essentially the same, he knew what needed to be done. The only reason I didnt take him to begin with is this is a warranty issue and since he's not a dealer, he will likely need to charge me to do the work. That still may be cheaper than my last resort which is to return it fully to stock, sell off the parts and trade it in on another bike. :frown-new:

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
B
Thanks Monster Torch, I think they look great too; I was hoping they would last and I agree on the Monster 1100 also having had them with the same routing. I really think the ones I got just weren't super high quality or something. Either way, I got the CNC ones and shipped them to the shop to install while they have my bike.

Speaking of that......ugh. The shop is completely stumped and Ducati has asked them to "investigate further" and "let us know if you find something." I have a sinking feeling that I will be getting the bike back after all of this time with no resolution for the knocking. I know I wont be able to live with that outcome; the last time I rode it, all I could hear was that knocking. Riding it just worries me that I am damaging the bike. I am also worried that failing to resolve this now, will only lead to a problem down the road when the warranty is up and then I'm SOL. If I get it back as is, I simply wont ride it, so why even keep it?

I will try one more shot, there's another shop in the area that has a Ducati guru, and he did my slave cylinder. I am very impressed with his work, and when my buddy dropped off his Panigale at his shop a few weeks ago, I told him about the issue with the Scrambler and he not only knew EXACTLY the noise was I was describing, he also said that some Monster 1100's experienced that before and since the engines are essentially the same, he knew what needed to be done. The only reason I didnt take him to begin with is this is a warranty issue and since he's not a dealer, he will likely need to charge me to do the work. That still may be cheaper than my last resort which is to return it fully to stock, sell off the parts and trade it in on another bike. :frown-new:
Bugger! All it all works out mate.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
118 Posts
...the last time I rode it, all I could hear was that knocking...he not only knew EXACTLY the noise was I was describing, he also said that some Monster 1100's experienced that before...
The knocking/noise you are describing, could it be Piston Slap?

I sometimes hear a pinging/rattling on my 1100. It's not always there and sometimes I don't even notice it. I don't think it's detonation (always use 93 octane premium). I've tried listening to some Youtube videos where the person claims piston slap but I'm still not sure that is what is happening to mine. Some of the interweb searching turns up a possible recall on some Monster 1100 horizontal cylinder & piston, years ago.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It very well could be and that is the primary suspected cause from my optic. I even suggested that may be the issue with the dealership, but they still apparently can't find any cause. The way I see it there are two possibilities....the dealer knows what it is and is reluctant to take on the work to fix it because warranty work is generally not well regarded...or they really dont know what it is, which is just as concerning as the first possibility given they're techs and have access to MORE information on this issue and the historical issues associated with the Monster 1100.

Mine started the same way as yours from the sound of it. It wasn't very noticeable at first but it grew louder as I rode it more. I've only got 2,200 miles on it, but now I can't unhear it. Its very pronounced and steady at certain engine rpms and like you said, sounds like detonation. I too only run 93.

I expected so much more from a premium brand. These bikes are not cheap. I dont like dealing in absolutes but this may be my first and last Ducati.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts