Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I realized today with the help of a friend that my shift lever is bent inwards.

Can someone recommend an aftermarket product or should I just get the original?

Alternatively, if anyone here has replaced their original shift lever with something else and wants to sell theirs, please let me know.

P.S. I live in Canada,

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can still shift just fine though I'm thinking that some of my shifts are sloppy due to the angle.

Any tips on bending it back without snapping it at the pivot joint etc or other part?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So just use a closed wrench and bend away I guess...that's what I'm reading on other forums.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I can still shift just fine though I'm thinking that some of my shifts are sloppy due to the angle.

Any tips on bending it back without snapping it at the pivot joint etc or other part?

Close the adjustable part on the bend put a screw driver or similar through the hole and twist slowly in the appropriate direction.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Sounds like you got off the bike (or something similar) thinking that the side stand was down. I was testing my bars for position, put both feet on the pegs, and over she went. Bent gear lever and bent it back.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know now when it happened. I had to remove a stripped oil pan plug with a torx socket/drill...had her lying on her side on thick construction blankets...it must have happened then. I did lay her down once in my garage on top of me also so it could have happened then too but I think it was the oil plug removal, since she was on her side for quite some time.

This morning I carefully, slowly and with small increments bent it back with one hand...it wasn't hard at all, no tools needed and I was being careful by applying opposite pressure with my thumb against the bike.

It bent to a point where it would bend no more so I'm assuming that is the original OEM position the lever was in.

·
Registered
893 Posts
It bent to a point where it would bend no more so I'm assuming that is the original OEM position the lever was in.
The bit of the shift lever that you move up and down with your foot should be parallel with the foot pegs (90 degrees to the longitudinal centre of the bike)
Don't forget that shift and brake levers are designed to bend so they don't damage other parts. This is especially relevant to the shift lever so you don't screw up the internal gearbox components.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Am I ok to not replace it? Was the structural integrity of the lever damaged or compromised from bending back and forth? Different forums say different things.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Am I ok to not replace it? Was the structural integrity of the lever damaged or compromised from bending back and forth? Different forums say different things.
It's up to you. I'd be okay with straightening it one time. After that, metal fatigue begins to take its toll.

(Be glad it bent. BMW G650Xs will break the shaft rather than bend the change lever!)

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok here's what I managed to do with just one hand. It's almost perfect?

It did not solve my inability to find neutral sometimes though...I just took it for a quick ride to test.
20180516_202253.jpg

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Good job! Is the toe piece at an angle? If so, that's where a bit of leverage will come in handy.

Sarah

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good job! Is the toe piece at an angle? If so, that's where a bit of leverage will come in handy.

Sarah
Not sure what you mean Sarah? I know you're referring to the rubber toe piece but what angle should it be at? Do yo mean adjusting the pedal lower or higher?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts