Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Go! Pictures and links to purchase would be nice too!

Ranking from 1-5 with 5 being the best/perfect

1. Cleanliness (as it relates to the bike)
2. Ease of installation
3. Sturdiness
4. Adjustability/Visibility

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've seen one clean possibility.

Its the RAM ball mount that screws into your mirror hole, but the caveat is that you have to get bar end mirrors then.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I don't have a specific photo handy, but I bought the RAM system where the ball mounts to the steering stem. Then I got the shortest dogbone double socket and bought their X-grip holder for my iphone. No need to change mirrors and the view of your phone is pretty straight on with the speedo not obstructed.

However, it sticks up in the air so your phone isn't riding down at your speedo level. You can see it sticking up in this photo

It's dorky looking but it is easy to remove, just leaving that black ball fixed to your steering stem.

The X-Grip mount holds your phone pretty well. My phone didn't blow away or even move at high speeds on the freeway.

Obviously, this is just my opinion but:

1. Cleanliness (as it relates to the bike) - 2
2. Ease of installation - 5
3. Sturdiness - 5
4. Adjustability/Visibility - 5

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have a specific photo handy, but I bought the RAM system where the ball mounts to the steering stem. Then I got the shortest dogbone double socket and bought their X-grip holder for my iphone. No need to change mirrors and the view of your phone is pretty straight on with the speedo not obstructed.

However, it sticks up in the air so your phone isn't riding down at your speedo level. You can see it sticking up in this photo

It's dorky looking but it is easy to remove, just leaving that black ball fixed to your steering stem.

The X-Grip mount holds your phone pretty well. My phone didn't blow away or even move at high speeds on the freeway.

3. Sturdiness - 5
Great photo of your bike in that second one by the way!

This looks promising. Though I've read a couple reviews on Amazon where people experienced their phones falling out of it. Is there a way to tether your phone it with that mount?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'm not sure what it's speed rated for. My phone has a rubber band sort of minimalist 'case' that wraps around the outside, so it's kind of plastic on rubber (the RAM mount has rubber holders.) I shook it all around in the house to make sure my phone wasn't going anywhere and it didn't budge. I'd keep it mounted sort of 'flat' or parallel with the pavement so the wind doesn't catch it so badly though. Mine hasn't moved even at speeds up over 85mph.

·
Registered
120 Posts

This looks promising. Though I've read a couple reviews on Amazon where people experienced their phones falling out of it. Is there a way to tether your phone it with that mount?
I have exactly the same set up and so far so good! I've only done maybe 200kms with it but I
So far so good, my only criticism is that it "floats" a bit so it can rotate a good 5 degrees each side when entered. I use it with an iPhone 6 plus and it's great for navigation, and keeping an eye on notifications in general.
I always position the locks against the power button's edge so I can visually see if the phone is starting to slide off but so far no dramas, no movement at all.

I bought it after seeing a video of someone doing MotoX jumps with it on and the phone didn't even move!

Still adapting to not having the phone really protected on my jacket's inner front pocket but I figured it's insured and costs about the same as a good bike GPS anyway so...

·
Registered
9 Posts

I have the RAM x-grip holder and clamp - style mount and love it for its ease of adjustability, great grip, and ability to transfer over to my bicycles. It clamps right onto the handlebar.

I decided to go with it after watching eVeride's YouTube channel and seeing him going through some harsh terrain and dropping the bike without his phone going anywhere. He also uses 3M velcro to make double sure it doesn't fly off; he has a vid where he goes over all of his gear and that prompted me to go with it. I've gone 80mph w/my phone flat against the wind taking video and it didn't budge!

I give it a 5 in all categories but it's all just an opinion!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

3. Sturdiness - 5
Would you mind linking me to the products you had to buy for it? I'm on their site and there are just a TON of options.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the RAM x-grip holder and clamp - style mount and love it for its ease of adjustability, great grip, and ability to transfer over to my bicycles. It clamps right onto the handlebar.

I decided to go with it after watching eVeride's YouTube channel and seeing him going through some harsh terrain and dropping the bike without his phone going anywhere. He also uses 3M velcro to make double sure it doesn't fly off; he has a vid where he goes over all of his gear and that prompted me to go with it. I've gone 80mph w/my phone flat against the wind taking video and it didn't budge!

I give it a 5 in all categories but it's all just an opinion!
is it this one? Amazon.com RAM Mounts RAM-B-176-A-UN7U Fork Stem Mount with Short Double Socket Arm and Universal X-Grip Cell Iphone Holder Automotive

·
Registered
99 Posts
I use a quad lock. Sorry no photo of it on my bike but below you can see the application. Comes with a very nice sturdy phone case which has a profile low enough to keep on all the time and still fit in your pocket. VERY easy to install and use and does not add any bulky additions to your bike. I have installed just above the top left bend where it straightens for a bit before the clutch lever and use it in landscape - blends in well with lines of the handlebar and does not interfere with any controls. Looks great!

upload_2015-6-30_15-1-33.png

Quad Lock iPhone Bike Mounts

1. Cleanliness 4
2. Ease of installation 5
3. Sturdiness 4
4. Adjustability/Visibility 5

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

3. Sturdiness - 5
Do you have it mounted into one of the screw holes? It doesn't look deep enough to use the kit with. How do you have it attached to your bike?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I use a quad lock. Sorry no photo of it on my bike but below you can see the application. Comes with a very nice sturdy phone case which has a profile low enough to keep on all the time and still fit in your pocket. VERY easy to install and use and does not add any bulky additions to your bike. I have installed just above the top left bend where it straightens for a bit before the clutch lever and use it in landscape - blends in well with lines of the handlebar and does not interfere with any controls. Looks great!

View attachment 1882

Quad Lock iPhone Bike Mounts

1. Cleanliness 4
2. Ease of installation 5
3. Sturdiness 4
4. Adjustability/Visibility 5
--------------
Thanks for the suggestion!
Just bought one of these for my iPhone 6+.
Very clean setup and their site also shows a stand off mount addition will be available in the near future.

Chet

·
Registered
67 Posts
Best phone mount? Turned off in your bloody pocket, Scrambler is supposed to be about the Spirit of Freedom not Slave to the IPhone just my opinion lol

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have the ram mount on a couple of bikes, but I no longer use it to hold the cell phone. I have Bluetooth in my helmets to listen to music or directions or get a call if I feel like being in touch. Hell, with my windows phone I even have the option of listening and replying to txt messages over bluetooth.
So I keep the phone in my pocket for short rides or put it under the seat attached to usb for charging on longer runs. I no longer need to mount it. I do look at the map sometimes before I put the phone out of site to understand where I am going but don't have the need for that distraction to look at while riding.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I've just got this for my Samsung Galaxy, £27 posted, on ebay. I've already got a Ram mount fitting on my bar clamp, and I've run a 1.5m USB cable back from the bars to the socket, it's a perfect length. So far so good, but I'm yet to check the waterproof claim.
Screenshot_2015-07-07-18-56-36.png

1 - 20 of 24 Posts