Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
I made the same mod about a month ago. I think it was worth it. Still plenty of torque but smoother and quieter cruising in the 60 to 75mph speed range The 16t sprocket was only $35.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I really think I'm going to do this. Originally I didn't like the idea that it might eat into the surrounding area around the front sprocket area, but the more I'm on the highways that are all around me, the more I realize I need that top end help...

·
Registered
164 Posts
16tooth front sprocket
I made the same mod about a month ago. I think it was worth it. Still plenty of torque but smoother and quieter cruising in the 60 to 75mph speed range The 16t sprocket was only $35.
Did either of you grind any of the front surrounding area?
I like this option, but not keen on taking to it with a grinder of any sorts.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Did either of you grind any of the front surrounding area?
I like this option, but not keen on taking to it with a grinder of any sorts.
Not me. There was just enough room. I have checked the fit after 300 miles and everything is fine.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Mine was fitting a racing number board on the front as a mini fairing. It has made cruising above 60mph easy, instead of feeling like a barn door in a storm!

·
Registered
290 Posts
I think the idea of making the gearing taller is good but I'd rather reduce the number of teeth on the back sprocket than increase the teeth in the front as if the chain ever lets go (God forbid) there'll be no were for the chain to get through.

I've seen one or two damaged engines in ducati's where either a 14 or 15 tooth sprocket was fitted with the small amount of clearance available so a 16 tooth would really cramp up that area and disaster would follow.

Geoff.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Choosing between: 1) changing my handle bar to Renthal Ultra Low Street bars or 2) Custom open pipe (without catalytic converter)...

The open pipe wins!!! Wonderful sound, smoothed out my throttle acceleration, new angle of exhaust allows for my personal choice of side cases/saddle bags and looks gorgeous.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Not me. There was just enough room. I have checked the fit after 300 miles and everything is fine.
Agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
164 Posts
Agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tony, as you are very experienced with all things motorbikes I'll ask for your advice.
I've replaced my front sprocket with the 696 monster 16t as suggested (sourced locally from ducati dealer for $30) and the clearance is very tight, I would guess at maybe 1mm - is this too tight, should I be worried about it?
I would hate to cause damage, how much clearance is safe if that is applicable - I've double checked chain tension, so confident everything is set correctly, just concerned with very small gap(?)

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Tony, as you are very experienced with all things motorbikes I'll ask for your advice.
I've replaced my front sprocket with the 696 monster 16t as suggested (sourced locally from ducati dealer for $30) and the clearance is very tight, I would guess at maybe 1mm - is this too tight, should I be worried about it?
I would hate to cause damage, how much clearance is safe if that is applicable - I've double checked chain tension, so confident everything is set correctly, just concerned with very small gap(?)
As long as you maintain reasonably good control over the chain tension, I don't think you have any cause for concern.

It's VERY easy to check periodically, as this only requires removal of the front sprocket cover, so I just have a look every once in a while. So far, with over 5000 miles, it's not even close to being an issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
164 Posts
Thanks Tony
Took it for a good hour long ride, definitely smoother on take off, and feels better at higher speeds, didn't once reach for that elusive 7th gear.
Agree this is the best mod for money yet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think the best mod I have done, is a 14 tooth front sprocket. With the 15 tooth sprocket 90 miles an hour in 3rd is a little fast. 7% more torque is my idea of better, not 7% less. This engine likes above 4000 rpm. 4 gear is better in the 45 mph range. I still only use 6 gear above 70 mph.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I posted the Ohlins rear shock as one of my best mods. Yesterday, I did what some had already done. Changed the front sprocket with a 16T from Driven Racing (recommended by Tony Juliano). Clearance was tight... 0.25mm! No grinding done. Feels like a new bike. Much smoother at take off. Need to take her out in the open highway. Here's a video.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts