Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike is going into storage tomorrow morning and I have about a gallon left in the tank. I can ride around about 30 miles or so until I need to get back near the house but from there I'd like to know what you all would do to burn/drain/vaporize the remaining fuel so it's bone dry for the movers.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
My bike is going into storage tomorrow morning and I have about a gallon left in the tank. I can ride around about 30 miles or so until I need to get back near the house but from there I'd like to know what you all would do to burn/drain/vaporize the remaining fuel so it's bone dry for the movers.

Cheers
A couple of lengths of garden hose (if you don't have fuel line). Put one in the tank right down to the lowest point with the other end into a container. The container is best below the fuel tank, sitting on an upside down bucket/box at footpeg height or so.
The other short piece of pipe just needs to go into the tank, seal around the two pipes with a cloth and a single sharp strong blow into the short hose. The fuel will be forced up the syphon hose into the container and will keep flowing until the tank is empty.
No need for sucking fuel and risking getting vapours or fuel into your mouth.
When finished, run the engine until it cuts out.
Job done.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great advice as always Hui. I ended up going to Autozone looking for the 3/8 inch hose and found a siphon hand pump with 4' lengths of 3/8 clear hose. 10 bucks.

I think the hardest part was threading the hose to where the gas remained. If you've never seen the underside of the tank or were unable to get the end of the hose where it needed to be, you could leave a significant portion of fuel in there.

With the assistance of an extra pair of hands I was able to get it almost dry in two goes. Then it was a couple of quick trips down the road and back and some idling in the driveway and she is dry as a bone.

·
Registered
792 Posts
How long is the bike going into storage for?
If it’s more than several months guess there are fire safety issues but emptying the tank leaves it vulnerable to moisture build up.

I usually brim it before putting it away.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Empty tank is the requirement of the storage company. They were very clear about that and it was basically the only thing they asked for.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When it's time to refill the tank, how long will it take for the fuel to circulate through the FI system?

Also was there any risk to the fuel pump (heat, sediment) from running it dry?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
When it's time to refill the tank, how long will it take for the fuel to circulate through the FI system?

Also was there any risk to the fuel pump (heat, sediment) from running it dry?
I don't reckon you will have sediment in the tank unless you used dirty duel recently. There's also a fuel filter inside the tank connected to the fuel pump to catch crap if there is any. (or I think there is like the other Ducati's)
After filling again you will hear the fuel pump whining and building up pressure, that's the system primed ready to go.
(like Max said ;))

1 - 9 of 9 Posts