Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
I almost never use water to wash any of my bikes. Too many places for that to cause problems. Bike Spirit cleaner/polish and Maguiars detail spray is the way I roll. Now if I could only get a girl to do that I'd be golden.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Water won't hurt the bike. I've used a hose on every bike I own and they're all still rust free. If they aren't too dirty I'll just wax, but sometimes you need the hose.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I just knock the dirt off to keep it from turning into mud and ride in the rain. That keeps her pretty clean.

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
S DOC 100, then the hose pipe, then my Air blaster to dry off, Done this to all my bikes over the last ten years, :) Even my Harley, :D

·
Registered
146 Posts
Been using S doc 100 since I saw the tinfoil test. It's the only bike/wheel cleaner that doesn't eat aluminium. Some products just stain Ducati alloy finishes.

Just to feel at one with nature I always wash bikes and cars in rain water. It's my contribution to saving the planet. Every little helps. The other reason is the spotting that is left on paint finishes from our tap water unless you polish after every wash.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Been using S doc 100 since I saw the tinfoil test. It's the only bike/wheel cleaner that doesn't eat aluminium. Some products just stain Ducati alloy finishes.

Just to feel at one with nature I always wash bikes and cars in rain water. It's my contribution to saving the planet. Every little helps. The other reason is the spotting that is left on paint finishes from our tap water unless you polish after every wash.
In that case, we're definitely at one with nature here in Scotland, fckn rain !

·
Registered
198 Posts
In that case, we're definitely at one with nature here in Scotland, fckn rain !
Manila rain is ZEN.

When i get home and out of the rain I do a light rinse over with a hose and dry up anything painted and the cockpit. I usually leave the exhaust and tires for special occasions.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hopefully there are no stupid questions...

Having never owned my own bike before I would love any advice - Do's /Don'ts about washing the bike.
Can you just hose the bike down when the engine is cooled?
Are there areas to avoid spraying to protect seals?
Do you spray the bike down at all or just get up in there with wet rags...?

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I prefer to use a soapy wet rag and wipe everything down, then use a microfiber towel to dry everything off. I don't think you can damage anything if you use a light spray of hose to rinse; however, it is probably not wise to blast water under seat pan and gas tank...really want to avoid wetting down electronic components if possible. Riding in rain is one thing, but high pressure water blasting the engine is totally different.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts