Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Edit: As per the post below I took a more thorough approach and now all is well. Please read my third post however to see the one adjustment I did make.

I know a fair number of people here have fitted the Biltwell Thruster Grips so I am curious how you have resolved the issue of the grip being much shorter than the standard one as shown below? Did you change out the throttle tube? The grip is about half an inch too short and suspect the stock Ducati grip is longer than an industry standard.

NC

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are right and I must have taken stupid pills this morning. Rest assured I did take the bar ends off. I simply wasn't aggressive enough in getting the new grip on but I still came across something I'll add in my next post.

NC

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay the image is displaying properly in Photoshop so I am not going to worry about it here.

But here is the one change I made. If you look at my original photo, you can see the white throttle tube has a lip on it that the Biltwell grip can't cover up. The stock Ducati grip fits over this and you'll see what I mean if you ever pull the grips off and compare them side by side. But since I don't want the tube getting debris inside it, I cut that portion off and slid it onto the tube here as seen below. I should probably seal the two in some way but at least this is better than the bare plastic.

In addition, the Biltwell grips, when fitted properly, interfered with the operation of the throttle. As you know the stock grips have the ends removed so the bar plugs will fit. So one needs to either move the throttle tube in further or cut the ends of the grip out and utilize the same bar ends to prevent the Biltwells from catching on the throttle tube. I chose the latter.

biltwellgripfinal.jpg

Original.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
The Biltwell grips are designed to be fitted over an aftermarket throttle tube (like G2 Ergonomics - or others). The aftermarket throttle tube are a worthwhile upgrade, much smoother and more quality than stock.

Reactions: mugwump

·
Registered
12 Posts
I use the G2 Ergonomics and am very happy with it. I tried with two different cams and slightly preferred the '300' over the '500'. The 500 certainly solved the touchy throttle issue but I found it a little too soft, the 300 seems an ideal compromise for me.

The Biltwell grips are very comfortable for my size hands and a good choice I think. The one issue I had was that the left hand grip needed the flare to be trimmed down to avoid making the high beam switch becoming even more awkward. I ran it up against a sanding plate but it's easy rubber to trim with a sharp knife.

gripR (1 of 1).jpg

grip (1 of 1).jpg

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Do you have one you'd recommend?

NC
I ordered the throttle tamer version from G2 Ergonomics, but also purchased the cam that matches the stock profile for the Scrambler (I have no problems with "snatchiness" as I am used to racing throttles).

Here's a tip for eliminating the "side play" on the G2 (or even the stock throttle tube). If you install a number P20 O-Ring in the tube, right alongside the cam, it will eliminate all side play, without interfering with the return.

Just make sure you use a p20 size, anything bigger will prevent the throttle from returning properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
150 Posts
Excellent fix Mr Juliano Time to rummage in my box of plumbing stuff!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I ordered the throttle tamer version from G2 Ergonomics, but also purchased the cam that matches the stock profile for the Scrambler (I have no problems with "snatchiness" as I am used to racing throttles).

Here's a tip for eliminating the "side play" on the G2 (or even the stock throttle tube). If you install a number P20 O-Ring in the tube, right alongside the cam, it will eliminate all side play, without interfering with the return.

Just make sure you use a p20 size, anything bigger will prevent the throttle from returning properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not sure I would ever advise putting anything in the throttle mechanism that was not designed to be there.

There is maybe 2mm of float on the throttle tube which I find unnoticeable while riding. I would imagine that a certain amount of play is actually designed in to keep everything from the possibility of ever 'binding'.

It's very important to make sure that the throttle tube remains unimpeded in anyway. Some rubber compounds can swell, degrade or even crumble when they come into contact with some chemicals or even at extreme temperatures.

I would personally prefer to avoid the risk of that happening inside my throttle mechanism.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
To each his own, use at you own risk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: mugwump

·
Registered
150 Posts
To each his own, use at you own risk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Agree with you whilst I like the idea I will look and have a play , was also going to look at nylon o rings! ( hence a rummage in my parts bin!)
That said I also have the G2 and it is less noticeable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts