Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone fitted or used the above? If so why, and do they make any improvements?
Been looking around the interweb but can’t find any answers.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doubt there will be one compatible with your ecu (if 1100). Why not just remap?
They don’t use the ECU and both are compatible with the 1100.
The remap or flash has not been good in the past according to my dealer, they used to be a Rexxer dealer but have given it up for poor service and performance by the company.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I thought it was a piggy-back in-line deal with ECU? I don't understand how it can work if not talking to ecu? Anyway, I flashed mine and it's awesome. Runs better, no more error codes and nothing "bolted on". Love it

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don’t know how they work, but I’d guess they fool the ECU into changing the fuelling by giving different sensor readings than the standard ones.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
A boosterplug is basically an extra NTC changing the value of the ambient temp sensor. So yeah, you're fooling the ECU. It thinks it's colder than it is. But only in open loop. In closed loop it still listens to the O2 sensors for the final judgement.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don’t know how they work, but I’d guess they fool the ECU into changing the fuelling by giving different sensor readings than the standard ones.
A boosterplug is basically an extra NTC changing the value of the ambient temp sensor. So yeah, you're fooling the ECU. It thinks it's colder than it is. But only in open loop. In closed loop it still listens to the O2 sensors for the final judgement.
Great reply, thx for info. I still say throw a file at it.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Also depends on what mods you have on your bike @Gasman . I always kept my Sled stock (no change in airbox or exhaust) and never found the Sled running bad. The only thing it sometimes did was a flameout blipping while downshifting for a standstill. In general the fueling never disturbed me.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Max, what’s the difference between open and closed loop? You can be technical with me I’m not totally daft I know what an NTC is, a negative temperature coefficient. On central heating boilers they bleed a negative signal to earth depending on the sensed temperature.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also depends on what mods you have on your bike @Gasman . I always kept my Sled stock (no change in airbox or exhaust) and never found the Sled running bad. The only thing it sometimes did was a flameout blipping while downshifting for a standstill. In general the fueling never disturbed me.
I get my bike back on Thursday haven’t ridden it for about 8 months so I’ll check mine then. It’s getting an auto blipper on the gearchange.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
In a (very tiny) nutshell:

Closed loop mode: apart from the fueling map and other sensors, the ecu uses the signal from the O2 sensors to keep the fueling at the idea stoichiometric ration of 14.7 (air-fule ratio). The catalytic convertor needs this operate optimally. Typically used at low throttle openings and/or a steady throttle.

Open loop: the signal from the O2 sensors is ignored, and the UCE relies on the input from other sensors and the preprogrammed maps. Air temp,oil temp, barometric pressure to name a few. Typically used during acceleration and higher speeds/revs. Fool the ECU with a lower air temp and the resulting fueling will be a tad richer, that's the idea.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've got an arrow exhaust on my sled and fitted a booster plug for peace of mind. I was worried that the exhaust would make the bike run even leaner than they already do, causing potential valve damage. I think that it's quite an ask to get an air/oil cooled motor to meet emission standards without risking overheating the inlet valves. I did a fair bit of reading up on power commander, rexxer and booster plug and the argument that booster plug only works in closed loop. Open loop seems to be only on constant throttle settings and the way I use the bike I'd say that's an infrequent event. The bike does show a 20 degree lower temp that makes the ECU enrich the fuel mix hopefully preventng the lean burn issue. I haven't noticed any change in performance or running but it has given me a sense of ease.

·
Registered
797 Posts
There are also to other options. Never used them or know anything about it but the memjet looks like a more advanced boosterplug and the rapidbike is kinda like the powercomander. The memjet might be a good cheap solution to get a richer running bike threw the hole rev range with some adjustability.

And some interesting reading:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts