Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed the rear wheel on my '15 Icon to put a new tire on. Got the new one mounted and went to roll the wheel up into position and noticed that the inside brake pad is just hanging straight down. I start looking and and can not figure out what is supposed to hold the pad up inside the caliper. I have must have knocked a clip out when I pulled the wheel out? I have been looking for a clip or an exploded diagram of this caliper to no avail. I have done this on other bikes and on this bike once before.
Any clues as to what I am missing?

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
The shape of the caliper keeps it in place. Push the pin out from the outside after you removed the clip.

Wiggle the pad it in place and reinstall the pin and clip.

You did nothing wrong. It just fell out because there was no disc to keep it in the caliper ‘s recess...

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Max, I had my rear wheel out recently. Although it went back in ok eventually, it was a bit messy to start with. Is there anything that I need to check?
Also I noticed the chain adjusters were loose after adjusting and tightening the wheel. I wound them out to tighten them. Is that OK?

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Max, I had my rear wheel out recently. Although it went back in ok eventually, it was a bit messy to start with. Is there anything that I need to check?
Also I noticed the chain adjusters were loose after adjusting and tightening the wheel. I wound them out to tighten them. Is that OK?
Winding the adjusters out to tighten them ??
The adjusters are there to use as adjusters, if you were not replacing the chain or specifically adjusting the old one then the adjusters should've been where they were before.
I worry that you have maybe tightened your chain too much. Remember the Scrambler's chain needs to have 27-29mm slack along the bottom run or 48-50mm for the Sled.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Thanks Hui.

I spent a lot of time adjusting the chain and hopefully have got it right.
I think the problem was the wheel was too loose when I adjusted it. There certainly seems to be 'play' in the adjusters.
Today I will crack the nut and have another go.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Thanks Hui.

I spent a lot of time adjusting the chain and hopefully have got it right.
I think the problem was the wheel was too loose when I adjusted it. There certainly seems to be 'play' in the adjusters.
Today I will crack the nut and have another go.
Keep the axle nut just nipped up so that the tensioners have to push/pull a wee bit. this means the wheel stays put before tightening and the tensioners stay under tension, then torque all afterwards.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
I worry that you have maybe tightened your chain too much. Remember the Scrambler's chain needs to have 27-29mm slack along the bottom run or 48-50mm for the Sled.
^^ this.

Why did you adjust the chain tension (if you did)? Removing and reinstalling the rear wheel does not automatically imply you need to adjust the chain.... That's the beauty of these type of adjusters, as opposed to snail adjusters.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
It was measuring 35-40mm and I thought it should be adjusted. It did look a bit slack to me. A bit surprising because it's not long had the 624m service.
I was waiting for a 30mm socket to arrive but as I had to drop the back wheel out to get at a bolt (different tale of woe) I used my 30mm combination spanner. Hope I have tightened it enough.
I am going to check it again when I get it off the ABBA and back on the side stand.
Might wait until I get my side mounted number plate holder.
Onwards and upwards as they say (hopefully).
:black_eyed:

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
The other thing I probably got wrong was that I adjusted the chain with the wheel in the air.

Duh.
A tip here would be to adjust it as you say with weight of the bike on the suspension. Lift the bike on the Abba lift and then take a new measurement of slack to use in the future with the bike off the ground.
When tightening the axle nut, use the right one (left for slackening) with the spanner etc pointing up & forward. This is much more stable when pushing downwards.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts