Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I was getting really bad vacuum from my filler cap so took the advice of many and blew air through the top hole under the cap with my compressor/air blower. It must of been too powerful as it's blown the pipe clean off, now my question is: does it really matter? I've no vacuum now and hopefully water won't collect under the cap, I'm just worried if it's dangerous (petrol vapours etc) or will it allow water on to the electrics? The bike has just been in for an annual service and it started the same day on the ride home (went to petrol station) I can't recall it happening before but the bike is new to me so could be coincidence. Also I don't fancy lifting the tank and trying to reattach the pipe.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi,
I was getting really bad vacuum from my filler cap so took the advice of many and blew air through the top hole under the cap with my compressor/air blower. It must of been too powerful as it's blown the pipe clean off, now my question is: does it really matter? I've no vacuum now and hopefully water won't collect under the cap, I'm just worried if it's dangerous (petrol vapours etc) or will it allow water on to the electrics? The bike has just been in for an annual service and it started the same day on the ride home (went to petrol station) I can't recall it happening before but the bike is new to me so could be coincidence. Also I don't fancy lifting the tank and trying to reattach the pipe.
Anyone?

·
Registered
9 Posts
My suggestion would be to return to your dealer. They probably lifted the tank and pinched the breather tube when they refitted it. It happened to my bike also.
I personally would not leave the breather tube unattached. The tube is there to direct anything entering it away from all the electrics etc that are under the tank.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Breather pipes are a nightmare on this bike. Even the dealer mechanics really struggle not to pinch them when putting the tank back on. I've had this issue a few times now with the breather pipe and the drain pipe.

The advice you got in this instance was bad, as blowing even a little air into a pinched pipe is probably going to have this result. I've been told to always check for a pinch or kink before assuming the pipe is blocked and attempting to clear.

There are two pipes that exit under the tank and my impression was that the breather and the drain pipe are two separate things. Might be wrong though. You don't want overflow fuel leaking out onto the top of a hot engine at a petrol station, so best it's re-attached asap.
I'm guessing water running straight down onto whatever is below the tank isn't ideal either but I'd expect everything to be weather proof as water gets everywhere anyway.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your right Josh, 2 separate pipes, think I'll have a go at rerouting them this weekend. Since blowing them off (sounds rude!) the bike runs awesome, went for a 80mile run yesterday with the wife on the back and it is so smooth compared to my old one, think it's the pipe (sounds beautiful ), remap and maxton that's done it. Love this bike.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Hello

I wouldn't leave the pipe like this, too. Without it, you may experience water or fuel on non-desired locations, not nice...

But, maybe, just lifting the tank, without unplugging the fuel lines, you should be able to connect back this pipe and check its routing.

Next time, if you want to check it with your air blower, connect it to the other end of the hose. At least, it won't disconnect it from the tank.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello

I wouldn't leave the pipe like this, too. Without it, you may experience water or fuel on non-desired locations, not nice...

But, maybe, just lifting the tank, without unplugging the fuel lines, you should be able to connect back this pipe and check its routing.

Next time, if you want to check it with your air blower, connect it to the other end of the hose. At least, it won't disconnect it from the tank.
Thanks vincelp,
Think your right, I'm a fair weather rider but it does need putting back to std. With a spotlight I can actually see both pipes at the front of the tank so they should be easy (ish) to sort.
Cheers

·
Registered
1 Posts
I took the tank off to fit heated grips which have to be plugged in under the tank,, there are 2 lots of electric connecters, 2 fuel lines and the 2 breather pipes.
None of them have much spare length and it makes re fitting the tank very fiddly. I also have a vacuum issue with the fuel cap so I will be trying to check for a pinched pipe tomorrow.
I was wondering if I had put the breather pipes on the wrong way round as they are quite close together and this could be possible,,,,, oops!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts