Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, found a good deal, ordered a set. Will keep you posted once I have them mounted (there’s still around 1000-1500 miles left on my current set, so be patient).

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Olrite, after some some wrestling to keep front wheel sealed I finally gave up and installed the front tire with a tube. The weather was perfect yesterday and I decided to scrub them in in my local digs. Canyons, lots of tight stuff, the odd pothole or rut and typically not so good but ok-ish tarmac.

image_from_ios.png

My point of reference was the OEM Pirelli Scorion Rally STR the DS come with. I only ride street and liked them. Plenty of grip, good transition into corners and if I hadn't tried something else myself I would tell everyone to stick to them. They do have some quirks though (which I'll get to). I removed them at close to 9000 miles. My second rear and first front. Especially the front was chewed up. Some profile blocks showed some cracking on the edges, and the tire was getting pointy. What pleasantly surprised me was that there was no cupping at all. A good tire with very even wear imho.

IMG_5596.jpeg

So, up to the Bridgestone AX41S, the "Adventurecross Scrambler" tire (what a cheesy name btw).

IMG_6001.jpeg

I inflated them to my usual 32/32 psi, which I have found to be upper limit for riding solo. I kept the STR's between 30 and 34 psi, and anything above that made the suspension feel harsh. I liked the STR's best around 30 psi. The manual says to keep them at 32/32 for solo riding.

IMG_6195.jpeg

So how do they ride? I'll try to see through the fact that every pair of fresh tires feels better than worn ones. A worn front always makes a bike fall into turns at lower speeds. So, these AX41S feel very neutral and confidence inspiring. Just look where you want to go and the bike follows. They are not upset with grooves in the concrete (like the TKC-70 for instance). Once at speed in the canyons I noticed the biggest differences with the STR's. For two reasons.

1. I'm no tire expert, but the Bridgestones feel like they have a more pliant carcass. The harsness I always felt (which I blamed to the DS suspension) is not noticeable anymore. Especially the front feels smoother on bad roads. After all the STR's pretends to be a dual sport tire and maybe that's why it's a little stiffer.

2. Life at lean. If you're really going for it on the STR's, at some point it feels like steering/leaning becomes heavier leaned over in switchback turns for instance. Which as such is a safety cushion but it could force you run a little wider/needing to push harder than expected. Nothing to worry about, but it is there imho. Not so on the Bridgestones. I leaned further over than I ever did before on the STR's and the bike stayed totally neutral (first time my shoe touched down, never had that before). And even then there was rubber left, while I rode the STR's edge to edge. The shape of these AX41S' is more rounder while the STR is flatter and it's slightly narrower than the Pirellis in the same size... Both front and rear.

IMG_6206.jpeg

I am sure these tires will do worse on gravel or offroad, but I should stop pretending, I never take my DS offroad. For the riding that I do, the STR's were really good. These new Bridgestones however, are just better. Added bonus: dual compound rear, which should give good mileage and grip at lean.

I like them.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
If I bought another set of tyres or anything for the bike I would end up single :apologetic: but the ax41s are now on the list of wants ( in about 15,000 miles (4 years))

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tires, brake pads, chains & sprockets are not "bike parts", they are maintenance parts. :p

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm mostly a street rider as well. The stock tires have been great, but I agree with you about the STRs. Crossing a painted line at full lean could get a bit squirrelly with the big block tires. I've wondered if a more street oriented tread pattern would improve the ride. Those are nice looking tires and I'll have to think about them when it's time. Thanks for the report.

·
Registered
44 Posts
ah Bridgestones which suit my riding style plus a good tread pattern for the scrambler, that looks good, mine are not spoke wheels as I have the sport model but even so this looks great on yours so should look great on mine too, fab thread and feedback thanks, :)

·
Registered
756 Posts
That's a good looking tyre for the Scrambler. I do like the Pirelli a lot though but do fear that it is going to wear harder on the 1100 then on the 800(there it lasted about 7000/8000 km).
Please keep us posted on the Bridgestones on how long they last and how they perform in the rain(the MT 60 does very well in wet conditions).

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm definitely a street rider and I cover quite a few miles so I want good round bends, good in the wet and good for touring so I will go for the Bridgestones then, thanks everyone for your help I'll phone local tyre man to see if he has them in stock then I can order them if not and get them fitted before I go to France next month, thanks :)

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's a good looking tyre for the Scrambler. I do like the Pirelli a lot though but do fear that it is going to wear harder on the 1100 then on the 800(there it lasted about 7000/8000 km).
Please keep us posted on the Bridgestones on how long they last and how they perform in the rain(the MT 60 does very well in wet conditions).
Don’t wait for it though. I hardly ever ride in the rain (SoCal), and I have another bike coming in this or next week...

·
Registered
756 Posts
Don’t wait for it though. I hardly ever ride in the rain (SoCal), and I have another bike coming in this or next week...
Hahaha, I won't then. You're waiting on the FTR 1200 right? Are you going for the S model? The reviews I've seen and read so far are very positive. I also like the look a lot. Will be interesting what you think of the bike compared to the Scrambler 1100.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts