Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've put a few hundred miles on my 2016 Icon with the AX41S tires now, and I'm quite happy with them. They look good and behave very much like the stock Pirellis. That's a compliment, as I liked the MT60RS very much, other than their tragically short lifespan. Handling does change a bit, as the AX41S slightly slows down the turn-in relative to the MT60RS. For example when zipping into a roundabout then flicking back to exit out, the Bridgestones have less of a "nervous" feel like the bike wants to over-control on the reversal. I like that. To my carefully-calibrated butt, the AX41Ss feel more sure-footed on rough pavement turns, and track like the Pirellis on fast, smooth turns. However, I'm not pushing the limit - I've visited enough emergency rooms already, and seen enough Ducati parts prices. About the most noticeable difference between the MT60RS and the AX41S (other than turn-in) is that while the Pirellis sing on rain-grooved pavement, the Bridgestones dance the little wiggle-dance. On unpaved roads I don't notice much difference between the way the MT60RS or the AX41S feel or respond, again not pushing any limits. At least adequate for light off-road.

I've experimented a bit with tire pressures and am happiest with 36 front/34 rear. Unfortunately, while the handling is sharp with that, it doesn't do anything special for ride quality, maybe riding slightly softer than the Pirellis. Maybe.

As far as wear, it's way too early to assess - the molding nubs haven't even worn off yet. That might be a good sign, though.

Provided that the AX41S tires last a lot longer than the MT60RS did, they seem so far to me to be an excellent alternative-

·
Registered
44 Posts
I couldn't get the AX41 from my local tyre garage and I have have sport version of scrambler and I do quite a lot of touring I opted for Dual compound Bridgestone tyres, so I've done a few miles I can happily say it handles brilliantly, better in fact than with the blocks, I do have cast wheels however not the spokes, but they suit my kind of riding and of course they'll last me longer than the MT60's. Talking of that now I've got Bridgestones on,does anyone want a front tyre MT60, £20, ono with only 3400 miles on them, you can still get that again from a front tyre as normally I replace the front every 2nd rear tyre, I live in Hampshire so I can meet someone half way or some of the way if you're not local to me.... seems a shame to waste it and a new front tyre MT60 costs about £110 new so maybe a part worn tyre would suit somebody?

41 - 43 of 43 Posts