Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It had to happen sooner or later. On a recent trip I dropped the bike through my own fault by applying front brake in a slow turn on loose gravel. The bike dropped and when I picked it up the clutch lever was dangling by the cable. This was a long way away from my destination with no help in sight. Duct tape to the rescue! I managed to fix the lever by taping it together and it lasted just long enough for me reach where I was going. With no Ducati dealerships within hundreds of miles I took my chances at a local motorcycle shop and found a replacement lever for about US$2. It fit just fine and I could complete my trip back to my Ducati dealer where they had no levers in stock but looted a new lever off of a new bike for US$25.
20180106_162125.jpg
Lever.jpg

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Put that $2 lever in the bottom of a saddle bag and carry it forever! Any idea what bikes it was intended to fit, as the rest of us probably need to do the same. Have you considered handguards? I'd as soon go without them, but as clumsy as I am I think I need to invest in a set. I've just been lucky so far.

Sarah

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any idea what bikes it was intended to fit
Probably some Japanese scooter as those are the predominant bikes in the area. And yes, it's in my saddle bag for ever now. I don't really like the hand guards either but my Scrambler will go for a 30,000 km oil service tomorrow and I think I'll ask just for interest sake.

B.T.W. I had the whole chain & sprockets service done before my trip and I'm glad I did. I saw the consequences of a chain failure on another Japanese bike and it wasn't pretty. Cracked engine casing with catastrophic oil loss. That's got to hurt.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
That fits our bikes, Derek? I don't see a listing for the Scrambler. Thanks

Sarah

·
Registered
764 Posts
Yes, it will fit virtually all Ducatis, It fits using the upper and lower screws that hold on the sprocket cover and is very close fitting to the sprocket so that if the chain breaks it is guided through and out instead of bunching up behind the sprocket and smashing the cases.

·
Registered
278 Posts
anyone else had installed the chain guard?

I can't link to it directly, but if you go to www.desmorimes.com, then click "Modification" on the left menu, then click on "Desmo Times Steel Case Saver Insert" (click the pic) in row 3.

The resulting page has the case saver (2nd pic) from my ST4s. The chain didn't break but one of the rivets did. One of the side plates came loose and scraped against the case saver.

If it wasn't there it would have damaged the engine case.

I'm a believer.

[edit]Here's the pic:

case_saver.jpg

[/edit]

-Bob

Reactions: Armo

·
Registered
892 Posts
Any idea what bikes it was intended to fit, as the rest of us probably need to do the same.
Clutch levers are pretty generic. You would probably find that almost any motorcycle dealer who carries spare parts will have a lever that will fit and work maybe not perfectly but certainly well enough to get you home.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Thanks, Rick. I hadn't bought a case saver, but I was considering it. Now that I check the "Details" tab at Motowheels I see the Scrambler isn't listed. But they must have thought it fit too, because I believe they posted it in the Vendors forum at one time or another. Thanks again for the head's up.

Sarah

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Just to double check Rick, that's a factory sprocket on your bike, correct?

Sarah

·
Registered
734 Posts
Thanks, Rick. I hadn't bought a case saver, but I was considering it. Now that I check the "Details" tab at Motowheels I see the Scrambler isn't listed. But they must have thought it fit too, because I believe they posted it in the Vendors forum at one time or another. Thanks again for the head's up.

Sarah
Sarah
you're right, vendor posted same product in another Scrambler forum, don't know why is was advertise if they knew will not work on our bikes.
https://www.scramblerforum.com/foru...i-stainless-steel-case-saver-chain-guard.html

1 - 20 of 24 Posts