Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Yes, I had well understand what you meant. Consider mine and yours :
- my part is aligned with the radius of the circle built by the mudguard, so the part in the mudguard only needs to be bent to follow the mudguard shape.
- your part is not aligned with the radius, so it means that the part in the mudguard, to be well applied in the mudguard, has to be bent twice. One to follow the mudguard shape and one to give the right angle from the mudguard to reach its lower fixation point

As I make it "in my garage" with only a vice to shape and bend the metal, I've chosen the simpliest way. I also like the fact that my solution is less visible than yours. It reaches its goal : block any movement of the mudguard, that's enough.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mine also broke the other day. Ended up ordering a new one after welding mine up to keepl me on the road. $42 I am noit that worried but now fhat I see I am not the only one suffering this Ducati better make a change ti the design. Now seen it broken it is pretty obvious why it broke.. I am not sure re any safety issues around this but I sure as hell would hate to get that gaurd to interfere with the front wheel.. or come off completely as could end in a nasty accident..

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
Mine has not broken but i am considering mounting it directly to the forks with some kind of clamp. It would sit higher obviously. I think it could work well with knobby tires.
Has anyone tried something similar?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all -

My first set of brackets broke at 12,000 miles. They were replaced on warranty (but that didn't fix the scratches to the rim that occurred when the bracket broke free and bounced off the wheel as I was coming to a stop.

I'm at 16,700 miles now and the new brackets are already halfway cracked through. I live on Oahu - and we don't have great road, but this is a little ridiculous.

vincelp - is your mod holding up?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Hello
vincelp - is your mod holding up?
I've sold my Classic since June 2017, so I don't know if it still holds up.
I made my mod in Sept. 2016, so it last enough to say it is solid.

With the mod, there are no more vibrations or movements for the mudguard. So, the mount is not under constraint and will not break.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I decided to mount my classic mudguard under the triple clamp. After contemplating the method for some time, I decided to suspend it on a steel cable. The clamps on the fork keeps it from sliding down. I'm happy with the way it turned out.

IMG_0895.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Front mudguard bracket broke on my Scrambler Classic during a ride this morning. Ruined the side of the front tire before I noticed the problem. Very poor design for a 2017 motorcycle part! Shame on Ducati. There should be a recall on this. It is not safe to have the bracket fail while riding.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same issues with the brackets and simply welded them.
Then I replaced the OEM steel plate under the mudguard with an selfmade aluminium plate.
With this modification, I reduced the swinging mass of the mudguard by 100(!) grams, that´s imho pretty much.
So far I haven´t seen any new cracks.

Michael

·
Registered
1 Posts
front mudguard bracket snapped when coming off motorway, made one hell of rattle. Dealer is sorting it out on warranty but need to wait for it to be sent from Italy.
Looks like brittle fracture as the other bracket showing signs of failing in same position.
View attachment 5834
Mine has broken in exactly the same place. This must be a design fault. Unfortunately local dealer has just closed and nearest one now is 4 hours away.
Nick

41 - 50 of 50 Posts