Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you use or suggest for crash/drop protection Bungs/Bobbins or Crash Bars? I am thinking of buying some Evotech ones.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Crash bars will not save a bike from serious damage in a decent incident. They are really only useful for low to medium speed drops or tip overs. The Scrambler is low and relatively light and is not a bike most riders are likely to be taking off road in any serious way so IMO crash bars are not warranted on the Scrambler.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Never had any on any of my bikes. Heard plenty of stories of crashbars causing more damage to the engine or the frame because of the way they where mounted to them so never realy bothered with them.

·
Registered
895 Posts
An example.
Here is my last Triumph Tiger.

It is about to be put on a truck and taken away to be written off by the Insurance company. They stopped counting when the damage got to AUD$10.000. The previous night I hit a kangaroo at 90 kmph in the dark and the bike slid along the road and high sided and slid some more. I then rode it home. The crash bars did a fabulous job as you can see

But ultimately damage to the forks and rear subframe and other items did not save the bike. The result of me spending AUD$600 on crash bars was that the insurance company probably recovered more money selling the wreck than they would have done if the bars had not been fitted but it did not in any way improve my payout or get me any return on the investment.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a slow speed tumble on my TDM and the crash bungs saved the bike no end just a broken indicator. No kangaroos round here thank god.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I use the crash bungs on the frame, fork and axle on my Scrambler and also on my Multistrada when I had it..

Obviously OK for a slow speed drop it - like if you slide on gravel when you are turning slowly or drop it moving it about etc..

When I was knocked off my Multi 3 months ago when I was rear ended... they saved all the front end and engine - no damage what so ever to the front of the bike... when it was hit over and pushed along ground for a short distance.... but obviously did nothing to prevent the back end being totalled and sub frame splitting..

So they do offer some protection...

I have never used guard bars - so can not compare.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I had a slow speed tumble on my TDM and the crash bungs saved the bike no end just a broken indicator. No kangaroos round here thank god.
Crash mushrooms saved most of my gsxr from a genuine 100 mph crash, they wore down to nothing but saved the engine cases and frame.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Have the Evotech crash bobbins on my 1100. I had the LSL's on my Thruxton. The intent on both was to hopefully get the bike to slide on a potential lowside versus possibly digging into the asphalt, tangling up and/or flipping into a high side or worse.If they protect the bike from more serious damage that will be another plus. I also hope I never find out. :icon_thumright:

Reactions: Skippy'73

·
Registered
796 Posts
Have the Evotech crash bobbins on my 1100. I had the LSL's on my Thruxton. The intent on both was to hopefully get the bike to slide on a potential lowside versus possibly digging into the asphalt, tangling up and/or flipping into a high side or worse.If they protect the bike from more serious damage that will be another plus. I also hope I never find out. :icon_thumright:
Yeah it's the same as with the airbags in my car...I never wanna see them ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Evotech Delrin sliders on the front axle, & Al bobbins on the rear. Ridea Carbon/mix case covers.
Since then, had a couple of low speed drops in water crossings etc, long way from help.
The Protection worked perfectly as first points of contact; character building scrub marks.
Nil damage to the bike, so able to continue riding in outback Aus - exactly what I wanted.
I suspect a high speed crash will cause equal damage to my body and the bike... so the bike will be least of my worries.

FWIW Crash bars add weight that may never be used, and I have seen frames dented at the point where they fix.
But if I had a BMW Flat twin, crash bars would be #1 priority.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have R&G on front, rear axles, clutch and stator covers, also GIVI bars for lower engine and Motec lever protectors. The lever protectors are the most useful as they have saved my hands from a good few car mirror knocks.
Overkill? Probably, but most of my riding is in London so I figured protection from lower speed incidents. The GIVI bar has a join low down, between the exhaust and the engine. Now if I do have a spill I reckon there could be some damage down there that might be pricey to fix. So I can't recommend them for that reason but they do give the bike a rather purposeful look tho' LOL.
I've used bungs on my previous bikes and they have saved me significant amounts of money on panel protection, so I can recommend bungs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys has anyone fitted the evotech crash bobbins that go through the frame / replace the bolt through the engine / frame? I tried to fit it the other night and couldn’t get the bolt that was already in there to budge... any tips b4 I take a little hammer to it?! Thanks!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Yes - keep the bike upright and support under the engine - to take the weight of the engine - not lift the bike.

Then take off the nut from one side and using a bar / 1/4 inch drive long extension as an example and a mallet gently tap the bolt out.

Then with the bolt out feed in the Evotech part and push out the 1/4 bar at the same time.

If you dont have a suitable bar - you can use the Evotech rod - but there is a danger you damage the threads...

When fitted - lower the jack from under the engine.

Tighten the nuts...

·
Registered
231 Posts
I did the same as Simon. I used the Evotech bolt to gently tap out the stock bolt as it fed itself into place. Then once all the way through, I screwed on the bobbins, and I alternated tightening each side until snug, then torqued to spec.

And since I have OCD, I made sure the bobbins' Evotech logos were situated perfectly at the top and the same on both sides....yeah, ridiculous, I know. ;)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Oh, I forgot to mention that I removed the exhaust heat shield until the right side bobbin was in place and then put it back on.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I did the same as Simon. I used the Evotech bolt to gently tap out the stock bolt as it fed itself into place. Then once all the way through, I screwed on the bobbins, and I alternated tightening each side until snug, then torqued to spec.

And since I have OCD, I made sure the bobbins' Evotech logos were situated perfectly at the top and the same on both sides....yeah, ridiculous, I know. ;)
Me too on the alignment.... I did find on the 800 - I had to bend by hand the exhaust shield (silver part) as it was touching the crash bung..

·
Registered
3 Posts
this went almost without hitch - just a quick note to anyone doing this in case same happens to you, I got the frame bolt halfway out and the evotech one halfway in and then it all got stuck - as there is a variation in the width of the hole the bolt got caught going in. I had to play with the height of my jack force on the engine to raise it a bit more than I thought so the bolt could go straight.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
this went almost without hitch - just a quick note to anyone doing this in case same happens to you, I got the frame bolt halfway out and the evotech one halfway in and then it all got stuck - as there is a variation in the width of the hole the bolt got caught going in. I had to play with the height of my jack force on the engine to raise it a bit more than I thought so the bolt could go straight.
Same here. I also put some white grease on mine, not to get it in (don’t be dirty now) but to stop it corroding in case I need to remove it. I know it’s a bit over the top but I didn’t have anything else to worry about at the time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts