Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,
I am looking into buying a Scrambler Cafe Racer and I have some questions and I've come to this great forum for help.

First, I should probably do a very brief intro: I am in my early 40's, have some sports cars and two other Ducatis, a 2008 1098R and 2014 1199 Superleggera. I am looking for something that's not as high strung and more under the radar that I can take on early morning coffee runs, or just cruise, and maybe take to work from time to time instead of my Volvo. I'm sure that it will do a bunch of canyon carving on occasion and I know that I won't leave it stock. Part of the appeal is that I can customize it.

That said, I've looked at a couple at my local dealers and neither of which said they will discount them at all. Now, I understand that if something is a hot seller then they should absolutely take all the money they can get but this is not the case here. These have been sitting there for months and by doing a search I can see that lots of dealers around the US have them available. Since I'll be taking it apart over the coming winter to do some upgrades that will probably cost a fortune, I'd like to get as good of a deal as possible. Plus the secondary market for Scramblers is solid but there's definitely substantial depreciation if you buy new. Being Scrambler aficionados, have you seen these bikes sitting for a while or do they fly off the showroom floor? I mean, I don't need the bargain of the century or anything but I'd like to not waste money needlessly if a little patience and time means saving a few thousand dollars.

The only two mods that I'll do right off the bat are a tail tidy and zero-rise clip ons and the only parts on the bike that seem "cheap" to me are the grips and hand controls so I'll change those to something more substantial feeling. After that, I suspect I'll change the shock and forks for the Ohlins offerings (or maybe do a whole front end change with an 848 or something) but what are some mods that you all have done that have improved your Scrambler a lot?

Thanks in advance for all of the help.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The Scrambler Cafe Racer is currently both a hot seller and sits on lots. It depends on where you are--if you are in more urban areas, those bikes fly off the shelves but if you are in more middle America, you should find them and have them be available. Do not yet expect to find deals as this is a brand new model--prices may start coming down toward the end of the season such as end of August or September.

From my talks with dealers the least popular bikes were the flat tracker and the classic---this, because it is so new and funky, has some popularity.

As far as 'good' upgrades to a basic bike, look to the Ohlins DU 505 shock as it will improve your riding. Forks will be a problem; these forks are 7 mm shorter than any other Scrambler forks other than the semi adjustable forks of the Sled, so you may have a problem with finding anything as yet to improve that handling.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys. That is helpful for sure.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
The one mod that greatly improved my Scrambler, is replacing the stock throttle tube for a pre-2017 one.

The one that came stock on my Desert Sled (and assumably on the Cafe Racer and any other 2017 model too) felt way too tame for me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The one mod that greatly improved my Scrambler, is replacing the stock throttle tube for a pre-2017 one.

The one that came stock on my Desert Sled (and assumably on the Cafe Racer and any other 2017 model too) felt way too tame for me.
That's a worthwhile tip for sure. Did you order the old tube through the dealer or someplace else? Hopefully they still classify them with different part numbers so that you can order the old one.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Found it on ebay, and I'm pretty sure many 2015/16 Scrambler are willing to trade with you.

The DS throttle tube is the cheapest (EOM!) remedy to tame a jerky Scrambler. I blame jerkyness to:

- too much stiction in the throttle tube/housing
- lack of rear brake control by the rider

I didn't like the softer 2017 throttle....in the hands of a less experienced rider however, the 2017 throttle tube is a blessing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Found it on ebay, and I'm pretty sure many 2015/16 Scrambler are willing to trade with you.

The DS throttle tube is the cheapest (EOM!) remedy to tame a jerky Scrambler. I blame jerkyness to:

- too much stiction in the throttle tube/housing
- lack of rear brake control by the rider

I didn't like the softer 2017 throttle....in the hands of a less experienced rider however, the 2017 throttle tube is a blessing.
I had figured that at some point after some time with the bike, I would do a little messing with the throttle cable body to see what I can do to improve throttle response and give the grip the sort of action that I'd like to have. It sounds like this was that very thing. I'll have to get a couple and start taking them apart. Thank you.

Reactions: Max Kool

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What's the thinking on the exhaust? I was looking to see if anyone does a full system but I only seem to keep coming up with slip ons. I don't think that more power is a big deal but I'd like to get as much of the restrictive parts of the exhaust off the bike and replace with something that flows better. In my Ducati experience, that's one of the more effective things that helps with hot running.

·
Registered
157 Posts
What's the thinking on the exhaust? I was looking to see if anyone does a full system but I only seem to keep coming up with slip ons. I don't think that more power is a big deal but I'd like to get as much of the restrictive parts of the exhaust off the bike and replace with something that flows better. In my Ducati experience, that's one of the more effective things that helps with hot running.
Mine is a full system and a difference in acceleration and torque is clearly felt. But my pipe might ruin the lines of your bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Like Sherpa23, I'm not looking necessarily for more power, just a bit more noise. I took off the covers & removed the two end cans just to see how it sounded & surprisingly wasn't that much louder, just right. Tempting to just refit the covers but being sensible, I suppose I'm looking for an end can that someone here could recommend that pretty much does nothing much other than look finished ?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Like Sherpa23, I'm not looking necessarily for more power, just a bit more noise. I took off the covers & removed the two end cans just to see how it sounded & surprisingly wasn't that much louder, just right. Tempting to just refit the covers but being sensible, I suppose I'm looking for an end can that someone here could recommend that pretty much does nothing much other than look finished ?
That tells me that the restriction is somewhere else in the system and not necessarily the end cans. Please post what you find in the end. Thank you!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Yeah, the sound damping happens in the shoebox under the swingarm. The cat, baffles, chambers.

The two little stingers are straight through, and merely exists for optical reasons imho.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is interesting because I can see the box under the swing arm but I can't see where the exhaust goes in and out of it. Clearly it's possible for the rear cylinder but it's hard to see where the pipe from the front one involves the box. I'll have to go look at one in person. It makes sense that would be where the stifling exhaust parts are.

·
Registered
7 Posts
image.png
I found this pic on the forum. I think it's from a Full Throttle and I also think it's exactly the same as the Cafe Racer once I've removed the covers and the two stingers.
As Max Cool says, running it like as shown is not much different in sound to standard and the covers won't stay in place without mods if the stingers are not present. What's left is the cat & noise subduing stuff so a complete system would have to be fitted. I like the race Termi but £900 !

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's an excellent picture. Thank you! Looking at it, eliminating that appears to be not only an easy way to open things up but to lose a lot of unnecessary weight. Time to do some investigation.

·
Registered
157 Posts
With the loss of that huge catalytic converter, and the lightweight pipe, I believe mine shed about 16 pounds in weight. That box is huge...and hot.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I saw a picture the other day where the oem DS exhaust was 13 lbs

Subtract the weight of an aftermarket exhaust (5 lbs?), and that's you gain. I'd say 8 lbs give or take.

At least this weight is carried low, I can't imagine you'd feel the difference.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Wait, is it the 13 including the converter? I wasn't trying to inflate, I just remember the weight difference was seriously substantial. And to be frank the difference in weight is felt. Much more felt on my Urban Enduro, to be honest, but even on the Sled there is a genuine difference in weight.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I do agree that it's not a bad place to have weight, however it is an 80 hp motorcycle so differences in weight are more apt to be felt. Besides, I think that eliminating that much weight in one shot will be a pretty rare occurrence on a Scrambler. The only way to really lose weight will be a series of smaller incremental weight decreases that have a more pronounced cumulative effect. The exhaust is a good start.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts