Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

Been lurking for a while and test riding some Icon's in my local area. Getting ready to pull the trigger on either a used 16 or a new 19.

One of my riding buddies also has a 16, so I've been able to put some miles on that bike to get a better idea of what it's all about. My biggest concern is the suspension...I'm a light guy (150lbs) so i definitely feel every bit of the road.

My question to you is; what would you buy? The same shop has a used 16 with 650 miles, 1st service done...and a new 19. Roughly 3k cost difference out the door.

Upgrade the used one, or go for new with some of the updates already done?

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi Folks,

Been lurking for a while and test riding some Icon's in my local area. Getting ready to pull the trigger on either a used 16 or a new 19.

One of my riding buddies also has a 16, so I've been able to put some miles on that bike to get a better idea of what it's all about. My biggest concern is the suspension...I'm a light guy (150lbs) so i definitely feel every bit of the road.

My question to you is; what would you buy? The same shop has a used 16 with 650 miles, 1st service done...and a new 19. Roughly 3k cost difference out the door.

Upgrade the used one, or go for new with some of the updates already done?

Thanks for the advice!
you're planning on using the bike for a couple of years and sell it or you want to keep it a lot of time?

Enviado desde mi PAR-LX9 mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would go new for the sole silly fact of have a gas gage and gear indicator. Also, the new icon has some pretty sweet alloy wheels haha. If you’re looking for a cheap price and monthly payment (If you’re financing) then older isn’t a bad idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not going to be financing this...though I am trading in a Kawi Z800.

Most likely going to be keeping it...but you know how that goes...it all depends on what comes out in the next few years. I'd say at least a 2-3 year bike. I also live in the northern US, so my riding season is only about 6-7 months.

The gas guage doesnt bother me...but the dear indicator would be nice. My buddy's 16 shifter feels mushy compared to the notchy Kawi/Yamahas I've been on for a while, especially in the middle of the range.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I would recommend the 16 and wait for the abs cornering i think the '20 will have it, mine has gear indicator and never use it and the gas indicator it's rubbish it marks full tank te first 100 miles then reserve the last 20 miles

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I would recommend the 16 and wait for the abs cornering i think the '20 will have it, mine has gear indicator and never use it and the gas indicator it's rubbish it marks full tank te first 100 miles then reserve the last 20 miles

Don't the '19s have cornering ABS?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Nevermind the cornering ABS....what about the hydraulic clutch on the 2019 models......that's the best upgrade if you ask me. Can't wait to be able to upgrade my 2016 Sixty2 for the 2019 FT I test rode the other day.

In my mind it's like the 2nd version of most things these days......they've sorted out all the niggles and issues by the 2nd model....it's always the one to get if you have the choice.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Unless you absolutely "must" have the latest tech... by the '16 & spend some $$ on the other things that you would no doubt end up buying for the '19 on top of the higher purchase price.
I just don't see the attraction of added electronics on bikes like these. Hydraulic clutch, okay maybe but I'm not selling my '18 Sled for a newer model with more bells & whistles.

Just my two cents...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the advice so far.

I completely agree about some of the electronic stuff...after all, an aftermarket gear indicator should be about $50. Things like the cornering ABS and hydro clutch are, however, appealing. The suspension is the big one for me...as is the improved fueling. Gonna lower the front pressure a little on my next test...see if that makes any difference on the 16.

·
Registered
810 Posts
For me... I would get the older bike. The Scrambler is all about simplicity and I don't think fiddling with extra's improves the concept.
If I wanted a bike with a load of tech, I'd have bought a BMW with computer controlled everything...

The only improvement I'd say helps the Scrambler a lot on the newer models is the hydraulic clutch. Not because it makes the ride any better but because it's a weak point on the bikes. The adjustment has to be perfect to avoid clutches wearing quickly. It's a relatively simple to change to a hydraulic clutch though. Ducabike sell a kit to convert. (on my list)

Suspension remains the same across all model years and sucks on all of them. The Cafe racer got an upgrade and the 1100 got a very big upgrade.

The newer bikes also come with a much softer throttle, due to complaints of it being too snatchy on the early bikes. Something I actually like on the older ones.
I prefer the engine finish on the older bikes too, I don't like the gloss engine cases.

I bought another '15 after having previously owned a '15 and plan to spend more of the money on bit and pieces to make it my own. I'm keeping it this time though!

·
Registered
205 Posts
I agree with Jooooosh.
Hydraulic clutch is the only real improvement. ABS/Cornering ABS might save you one day in an extreme but if you need it regularly you probably should drive a car.
Fuel gauge, gear indicators....toss.....may as well get an ashtray.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
The seat on the 19's nicer. Human beings -- as opposed to whatever weird alien species the older seats were designed for -- can actually use it. That'll save you a few bucks and/or your romantic life...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I found a great deal on a '19 from a dealer for just a little more than 2 year older used ones were going for so I took it and am glad I did after riding my friends earlier model. I find the seat is better at bump absorption but "comfort" isn't any better. So I have a Sargent coming. I was surprised at the ride being better with the factory rear shock. May have been an update there.

I would only have considered older models at a substantial lower price, '17-'18 are too close price wise. New at $7500 from dealer in L.A. area well worth it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Get the '16. Buy the Ohlins suspension kit and an NRC tail kit. I never had any issues with the clutch on '15 Icon. It's light and easy to use.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts