Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I would like to buy a 2nd hand Ducati Scrambler, but I have read that you should definitely not buy a machine with more than 30,000 km. Unfortunately, my budget is limited, so a new machine is out of the question.

Can you tell me how long the lifespan (in km) of a Scrambler Icon is and what to look out for when buying one.

Many thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
For me... I would get the older bike. The Scrambler is all about simplicity and I don't think fiddling with extra's improves the concept.
If I wanted a bike with a load of tech, I'd have bought a BMW with computer controlled everything...

The only improvement I'd say helps the Scrambler a lot on the newer models is the hydraulic clutch. Not because it makes the ride any better but because it's a weak point on the bikes. The adjustment has to be perfect to avoid clutches wearing quickly. It's a relatively simple to change to a hydraulic clutch though. Ducabike sell a kit to convert. (on my list)

Suspension remains the same across all model years and sucks on all of them. The Cafe racer got an upgrade and the 1100 got a very big upgrade.

The newer bikes also come with a much softer throttle, due to complaints of it being too snatchy on the early bikes. Something I actually like on the older ones.
I prefer the engine finish on the older bikes too, I don't like the gloss engine cases.

I bought another '15 after having previously owned a '15 and plan to spend more of the money on bit and pieces to make it my own. I'm keeping it this time though!

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
How you doing Josh? Still got my Flat Track Pro.
Put the original seat and bars back on so have a set of Icon bars/clamps/bracket and a Sargent seat for sale. Not doing so many miles nowadays as also trail riding.

·
Registered
848 Posts
How you doing Josh? Still got my Flat Track Pro.
Put the original seat and bars back on so have a set of Icon bars/clamps/bracket and a Sargent seat for sale. Not doing so many miles nowadays as also trail riding.
All good thanks, still loving the bike. It’s just had a big service and new forks with the maxton upgrade fitted. What a difference!!

Currently looking at some new handlebars but nothing like the original Icon ones I’m afraid. Currently got Rizoma MA011’s (35mmon which are a fat bar but the lowest they make.

Nice sporty riding position but with my lanky arms and for the stance of the bike, going to get some slightly wider bars with more of a rise. Just looks better.

Thinking about the Renthal Fatbar Street low, 10cm wider and 15mm higher rise. Shopping for bars is tricky, so many options!

Also splitting my miles between bikes. Got a CRF250 Rally last year for commuting and exploring the trails. Already done a few bits of the TET. Fun isn’t it!

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
All good thanks, still loving the bike. It’s just had a big service and new forks with the maxton upgrade fitted. What a difference!!

Currently looking at some new handlebars but nothing like the original Icon ones I’m afraid. Currently got Rizoma MA011’s (35mmon which are a fat bar but the lowest they make.

Nice sporty riding position but with my lanky arms and for the stance of the bike, going to get some slightly wider bars with more of a rise. Just looks better.

Thinking about the Renthal Fatbar Street low, 10cm wider and 15mm higher rise. Shopping for bars is tricky, so many options!

Also splitting my miles between bikes. Got a CRF250 Rally last year for commuting and exploring the trails. Already done a few bits of the TET. Fun isn’t it!
I've gone back to the original Flat Tracker (fat) bars on my FTP. Might be worth a look.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts