Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know if it is possible to fab a cafe racer seat for the 1100?

Looking more closely at the 800 cafe racer, it appears that the frame underneath the seat is actually different than the icon (and by extension the 1100 models). It appears to have a straight bar underneath the seat where the icon and 1100 models have a curved frame piece.

Can anyone confirm these differences? And would it then make it not possible to fab a straight cafe seat for the 1100?

TIA

·
Registered
797 Posts
The 1100 had a cast aluminium rear sub frame where the 800 has a steel tube frame with plastic side pannels.
The seats aren't interchangable but you could have a stock seat remoddelled cutting of the curved plastic parts of the seat pan that follow the contour of the subframe and adding a hump. A seat maker can surely help you out here.
To see what something like that would look like I recommend looking at this deBolex custom Scrambler 1100. Looks like a cool project.
deBolex-Engineering-Ducati-Scrambler-1100-Autohouse-London-1.jpg

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you for the information!

This is what I figured. I am not a fan of the rear subframe on the 1100 lol. I think it is an eyesore on that custom 1100. I wonder if it can be modified or replaced with a tubular frame to be lower and achieve this type of look:

mugello-slim-cafe-racer-seat-ducati-scrambler_1_1800x1800.jpg

The 1100 had a cast aluminium rear sub frame where the 800 has a steel tube frame with plastic side pannels.
The seats aren't interchangable but you could have a stock seat remoddelled cutting of the curved plastic parts of the seat pan that follow the contour of the subframe and adding a hump. A seat maker can surely help you out here.
To see what something like that would look like I recommend looking at this deBolex custom Scrambler 1100. Looks like a cool project.
View attachment 44082

·
Registered
797 Posts
Thank you for the information!

This is what I figured. I am not a fan of the rear subframe on the 1100 lol. I think it is an eyesore on that custom 1100. I wonder if it can be modified or replaced with a tubular frame to be lower and achieve this type of look:

View attachment 44083
Really, I love the rear frame I think it looks amazing and very high quality(something the plastic covers on the 800 absolutely didn't).
I've seen customizers that wanted to replace it with a steel tube frame but they couldn't get it done as they didn't find a good way to hide all the electronics from the ecu,abs,battery and exhaust valve servo(it was a German tuner so they had to keep all these parts for Tüv aproval).
You could think about painting it making it less obvious or maybe think about getting the carbon fiber covers by Mugello shop wich completely change the look snd hides most of the frame.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really, I love the rear frame I think it looks amazing and very high quality(something the plastic covers on the 800 absolutely didn't).
I've seen customizers that wanted to replace it with a steel tube frame but they couldn't get it done as they didn't find a good way to hide all the electronics from the ecu,abs,battery and exhaust valve servo(it was a German tuner so they had to keep all these parts for Tüv aproval).
You could think about painting it making it less obvious or maybe think about getting the carbon fiber covers by Mugello shop wich completely change the look snd hides most of the frame.
Yea I hear ya. Sounds like its a lost cause to try and get a simple clean look on the 1100. Looks like this is the best alternative:

Attachments

·
Registered
797 Posts
Yea I hear ya. Sounds like its a lost cause to try and get a simple clean look on the 1100. Looks like this is the best alternative:
Yeah I've been following that bike as well and it looks pretty good.
That's the fun thing about these Scramblers, you can achieve lot's of different looks.
Only two things I wish for is an aluminium long rear fender like the Scrambler 800 Classic had and an aluminium chain guard. I also had this on my 800 Icon and I loved that look.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now THIS is what I'm talking about! It isn't the exact route I would take with the seat as it is too pointy for my taste, but they managed to get that subframe simplified! They probably rid of a lot of things under the seat though...

goblin works ducati scrambler rocketgarage magazine  1614x1009.png.jpg

·
Registered
797 Posts
Now THIS is what I'm talking about! It isn't the exact route I would take with the seat as it is too pointy for my taste, but they managed to get that subframe simplified! They probably rid of a lot of things under the seat though...

View attachment 44086
That's some amazing work allthough I don't like the tubular swingarm(might look better if it's black though).
They obviously got rid of the servo and used a smaller battery. I wonder if the ABS is still in place and if that is the original plastic undertray.
Still very impressive peace of work!

·
Registered
898 Posts

View attachment 44086
To me from that angle that looks more like a desert sled than a cafe racer.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had one of my seats remodelled something similar to the cafe racer. View attachment 44087
Do you have more shots at different angles and distances?

That's some amazing work allthough I don't like the tubular swingarm(might look better if it's black though).
They obviously got rid of the servo and used a smaller battery. I wonder if the ABS is still in place and if that is the original plastic undertray.
Still very impressive peace of work!
Yea they changed a lot of things

To me from that angle that looks more like a desert sled than a cafe racer.
Yes, by no means is that a cafe racer. I was illustrating the change in the rear subframe to be tubular instead of the cast alu we have. This change would allow a traditional cafe racer seat to be made for the 1100. However there is just too much involved to get it to that point.

I think im giving up the effort and just going with the mugello low seat, at least for now lol.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I think im giving up the effort and just going with the mugello low seat, at least for now lol.
[/QUOTE]
I’ve also got a seat remodelled to look like a Mugello.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I wonder if the ABS is still in place...
The picture shows the rear brake has a direct brake hose routed from the caliper to the master cylinder, so it looks like they did toss the ABS module which is normally under the seat.

The owner won't have to deal with difficult brake fluid bleeding anymore!

·
Registered
797 Posts
The picture shows the rear brake has a direct brake hose routed from the caliper to the master cylinder, so it looks like they did toss the ABS module which is normally under the seat.

The owner won't have to deal with difficult brake fluid bleeding anymore!
Good eye! But throwing the ABS out on a new bike is crazy to me. But it does make it a lot eassier because now you only have to house the ecu and a small battery. Without ditching the ABS and servo assembly I think it will be very hard to create a tubular rear frame that looks remotely good.

·
Registered
140 Posts
gasman that's a very nice one.speaking of seat I'm buying a cover from an Italian firm. my special's is not ugly but slippery. the one ì'm buying is firmer. will keep youn informed

1 - 15 of 15 Posts