Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly, I'm here to learn and I enjoy working on my bike.

I've done everything so far but valves and this includes several more complex tasks than oil change, and regular maintenance. I also plan to change both sprockets, break old chain and install new, clean throttle body, in addition to regular yearly maintenance.

I've never done cam belts before but I feel pretty competent and able as long as I'm careful and have the correct information.

What I'm here for is just things you may have encountered while doing yours that I should be aware of. There's usually always something that pops up when covers come off and or internals are exposed. Things that manuals don't explain or show.

I haven't found a video on youtube that I can confidently say "this is the one I'll follow" since almost every video does it a bit differently. I also haven't found a Scrambler specific cam belt replacement video.

I plan to use the instructions that I'm attaching below and I purchased the following tool because I can't justify spending $150 on the winged crank turning tool by laser.

I have a 2016 Italia and will be doing the belts during my upcoming March break. I hope once the belt covers come off that all the necessary markings to line everything up correctly are there.

What I'm not sure about is why are the old belts marked and how do those markings transfer over to the new belts? Having not seen a belt up close, I'm under the assumption that all teeth are the same? So why the markings on old belts and matching them on new belts before installation?

Also, I plan to use a phone tension app meter instead of buying an expensive dealer tool to set the correct tension.

That being said, service instructions indicate to set tension at 140hz but many people I've talked to say otherwise (lower)

Thanks in advance for any help, things you experienced that generic service manuals don't tell you about.

Tool I ordered

Be safe, be happy, be healthy.

Attachments

·
Registered
896 Posts
A very experienced member of the local Ducati club destroyed his wife’s Scrambler about 12 months ago by changing the cam belts himself and not doing it correctly. Just saying.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A very experienced member of the local Ducati club destroyed his wife’s Scrambler about 12 months ago by changing the cam belts himself and not doing it correctly. Just saying.
I mean, anyone can mess up anything no matter what their experience level is. Thanks for the message though. This will just make me take even more precautions when doing mine. The one comfort with having a licensed mechanic do them is that if something messes up, it should be covered. Then again, we have all heard stories of mechanics/dealers not taking responsibility for doing shitty work.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Be careful was the message. The guy who stuffed his wife's bike admitted that he did the job in a hurry and made a silly mistake. They were going on a trip and they got one or two days in before the big bang and the Scrambler getting a ride home on a truck.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hello xPepi,

I appreciate your desire to do your own work. You seem confident and ready!
I am sure it will go well.
Other than changing timing belts on a few cars, changing them on the Scrambler was my first time on a bike.
It went very well.
The following was quite helpful to me:

Things I can share with you that can be helpful;
1. In order to find TDC (home spot), I just turned the rear wheel manually in a forward motion while bike was in gear. No tools needed. My belt pulleys did have visible locator marks......which I strongly believe they all have......or should. Without the marks would not have been on the pulleys, I may not have continued the work myself.

2. I have never heard of marking the belt itself, never. I just slipped those belts right in, with care that the pulleys stayed on mark,

3. For the tension. If you use the harmonic test, I would recommend using the tip of a flat screwdriver to strum the belt starting at about 2-3mm from the edge. You may get some better consistency in the readings.

I used the twist technique instead. Once I tighten the tensioner, I twist the belt with my fingers until I can only twist it to 45 degrees.

I am not a very experienced Ducati engineer... but I believe that with care and good research lots can be done on our own on these bikes. Especially with all the help of the great contributors of this forum!

Good Luck !

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello xPepi,

I appreciate your desire to do your own work. You seem confident and ready!
I am sure it will go well.
Other than changing timing belts on a few cars, changing them on the Scrambler was my first time on a bike.
It went very well.
The following was quite helpful to me:

Things I can share with you that can be helpful;
1. In order to find TDC (home spot), I just turned the rear wheel manually in a forward motion while bike was in gear. No tools needed. My belt pulleys did have visible locator marks......which I strongly believe they all have......or should. Without the marks would not have been on the pulleys, I may not have continued the work myself.

2. I have never heard of marking the belt itself, never. I just slipped those belts right in, with care that the pulleys stayed on mark,

3. For the tension. If you use the harmonic test, I would recommend using the tip of a flat screwdriver to strum the belt starting at about 2-3mm from the edge. You may get some better consistency in the readings.

I used the twist technique instead. Once I tighten the tensioner, I twist the belt with my fingers until I can only twist it to 45 degrees.

I am not a very experienced Ducati engineer... but I believe that with care and good research lots can be done on our own on these bikes. Especially with all the help of the great contributors of this forum!

Good Luck !
Thank you for this, it's very helpful.

I may not have a chain on the bike by the time I get to the cam belts but I can always just turn the front sprocket, haha. The link you provided is the exact document I uploaded here. Looks very good and clear as a resource.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts