Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy guys. I was getting ready to plan a Camping Trip to Death Valley in February and I was curious to see if anyone else has gone camping with their Scrambler. I plan on packing light since my Nelson Rigg saddlebags won’t fit due to conflicting with the rear turn signals so all I’ll have is a tail bag and a Ogio Excelsior Backpack which is fine since I just use a bivy sack when I camp verses a tent. Let me know what your guys’ past experiences have been like.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm planning on camping with my Scrambler, but a little different than the way you will. My bike goes in the back of the truck. At 61 my roughing it days are over but I do hope your experience is great.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm planning on camping with my Scrambler, but a little different than the way you will. My bike goes in the back of the truck. At 61 my roughing it days are over but I do hope your experience is great.
Unfortunately I don’t have a truck or a trailer and I sold my Wrangler so I could buy the Scrambler but eventually I will look into that option especially if I want to go anywhere outside of the Southern California/Arizona area.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Top bag carries, all tools cooking items, all electronics. On top my sleeping bag.
One pannier carries tent, sleeping pad, and a fold chair. The other carries clothes, Xtra shoes, towel, and any misc. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Screen Shot 2018-01-02 at 12.30.25 pm.png

I could get a smaller tent I know (Vango Halo 200 at the moment) but other than that everything I need for three - four days (ish) goes in my 30ltr Kriega. I confess to not ever getting far enough from civilisation that I pack cooking gear (generally find a pub I can wander to), and I often camp with a mate who does bother to do just that. I'm in Australia so light sleeping bag and clothes tends to suffice to which I guess makes a difference.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've done a number of summer trips with camping gear. I got the Nelson rigg bags to fit except the right bag burned thru due to the exhaust. I pop riveted some aluminum sheet inside and outside with fiberglass insulation between. Got me home. Then I made some brackets which hold them much better. Not ideal but it keeps the weight low.

Also used a chase Harper tank bag. Rain gear water, snacks and easy access stuff went there.

I brought a sleeping bag, thermarest and couple or light nylon tarps for sleeping. Last summer I borrowed my son's light hammock. That was heaven!

Usual backpacking cook kit but rarely used it for more than coffee for breakfast. Lots of small town diners was my typical fare.

Do bring extra gas. At least two litres, five would be better. Gas station s can be very far apart in that area. I drove 60MI out of Tonopah before I saw a sign saying the next gas was 100 MI further. I always made it to a station but piece of mind is worth something.

Now I have Angel Gt s which don't do dirt roads as well as the stock tires. Ok if you take it easy. No fun at all on sand.

I'm sure you know this but always be aware when crossing washes. Flash floods are real especially that time of year. Take enough food in case you're stranded for a day or two.

Should be fun, would love to do death Valley when it blooms. Last year was supposed to be outstanding but the drought this year may make it less vibrant.

If you plan to go with friends and they bag out, go alone. I've found the weather improves the more folks bail. Murphy law thing I guess.

Have a great time

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've done a number of summer trips with camping gear. I got the Nelson rigg bags to fit except the right bag burned thru due to the exhaust. I pop riveted some aluminum sheet inside and outside with fiberglass insulation between. Got me home. Then I made some brackets which hold them much better. Not ideal but it keeps the weight low.

Also used a chase Harper tank bag. Rain gear water, snacks and easy access stuff went there.

I brought a sleeping bag, thermarest and couple or light nylon tarps for sleeping. Last summer I borrowed my son's light hammock. That was heaven!

Usual backpacking cook kit but rarely used it for more than coffee for breakfast. Lots of small town diners was my typical fare.

Do bring extra gas. At least two litres, five would be better. Gas station s can be very far apart in that area. I drove 60MI out of Tonopah before I saw a sign saying the next gas was 100 MI further. I always made it to a station but piece of mind is worth something.

Now I have Angel Gt s which don't do dirt roads as well as the stock tires. Ok if you take it easy. No fun at all on sand.

I'm sure you know this but always be aware when crossing washes. Flash floods are real especially that time of year. Take enough food in case you're stranded for a day or two.

Should be fun, would love to do death Valley when it blooms. Last year was supposed to be outstanding but the drought this year may make it less vibrant.

If you plan to go with friends and they bag out, go alone. I've found the weather improves the more folks bail. Murphy law thing I guess.

Have a great time
I am planning on it Phil. Luckily Death Valley is only 4.5 hours away from me and I am planning on purchasing a tank bag as well before I leave that way I don’t have to stuff too much into my Backpack. I will be posting picks prior to leaving just see if anyone sees any room for improvement.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts