Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a while didnt turn it on, my bike start having this issue, show side stand error and after that flashing CAN error, it cannot start whatsover.

anybody have experience this? how to fix this?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Check your battery with a volt meter, make sure its fully charged. Also have you done any off-roading or riding in inclement weather? Check the side stand switch at the base of the side stand and make sure the connectors fitted properly and that you don't have any pinched or short wires.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check your battery with a volt meter, make sure its fully charged. Also have you done any off-roading or riding in inclement weather? Check the side stand switch at the base of the side stand and make sure the connectors fitted properly and that you don't have any pinched or short wires.
thanks. let me check on it.

ducati shop run DDS and says replace ECU.it sounds so fishy to me

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
does off roading or inclement weather like heavy rain and a lot of puddle?

·
Registered
23 Posts
The CAN error presumably refers to the CAN-BUS which connects the ECU with the dash etc. so it's not impossible it's a problem with the ECU. It might be possible to get a second-hand ECU or swap it with a known working one to confirm if the problem lies there? But I'd check/clean/spray all connections, including the dash, first, as dunchooby suggests. BTW - if the side stand error you mention is the side stand message at the bottom of the screen then this is normal and goes off when the side stand is raised. Unless of course this message is shown when the side stand is up!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The CAN error presumably refers to the CAN-BUS which connects the ECU with the dash etc. so it's not impossible it's a problem with the ECU. It might be possible to get a second-hand ECU or swap it with a known working one to confirm if the problem lies there? But I'd check/clean/spray all connections, including the dash, first, as dunchooby suggests. BTW - if the side stand error you mention is the side stand message at the bottom of the screen then this is normal and goes off when the side stand is raised. Unless of course this message is shown when the side stand is up!
do you know where to get second hand ECU. the ducati showroom swap it and it work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks ofr answering

·
Registered
23 Posts
I guess your best bet would be to find a breaker nearby who has a Scrambler for parts. ECUs are certainly available via eBay (though the asking prices underlines how expensive a new replacement ECU is ...). What I don't know is whether the ECU is coded to the dash (they are on some Ducatis), making it complicated to swap out parts without dealer involvement. There are also companies that claim to be able to rebuild/repair ECUs so worth checking out in your area. At least you now know that the ECU is at fault ... In the end, though, it may be worth gritting your teeth and paying for the assurance of a dealer replacement and presumably some kind of warranty accompanying it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello to everybody, this is my first message in this forum... I haven't yet officially introduced myself on the forum, but I thought it might help with this issue.
As fas as I know, the CAN communication is a Serial communication between all the ECUs on the system (our Scrambler). One of the properties of this CAN communication is that needs a end line CAN Bus resistor.
The value of this resistor is normally around 120 ohms for an standart ECU, in a complete electronic system, the total resistance will depends of the number of ECUs.

My sugestion is read the ressitance value of the CAN bus in trought the Scrambler diagnosis conector close to the Battery. In this conector you can fin 4 pins, 2 of Battery voltage and other 2 pins (grey and grey/green) for CAN bus. You need to check the ohms in the CAN pins. The measure in my case (Scrambler Icon Dark Dec.2019) is 65ohms.

If the CAN bus connection has a problem, it is possible that you reads a different value to this 65ohms.
Remember to switch OFF the infgition KEY to take the measure!!!
Check it out, it's easy and you can rule out a wiring problem. You just need a multimeter and be careful not to short the CAN pins.

I hope this helps you!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts