Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just dropped off my 2018 FT for the first service after enjoying it for 2 months. However, I found interesting information in the service quote on the top left of the documentation says "2018 DUCATI SCRAMBLER FT-DEMO".

No one in the dealer told me that I was buying the DEMO bike so I asked the service representative about this situation the only response I got was "That's how the VIN came out on the system" and I really didn't get the clear answer.

I understand that I already signed the financing contract and etc but I really feel like I got screwed on this because I paid for the new price with an only a little bit of discount. What would you guys/gals do if you were in my situation?

·
Registered
287 Posts
How many miles, or kms, were on the odometer when you bought it?

-Bob

Reactions: danielhongdesign

·
Registered
287 Posts
I would have a long conversation with the sales manager.

-Bob

·
Registered
211 Posts
The obvious question is "what did you pay for it?" i.e. did you receive a significant discount from the sticker or invoice price?
If you did, then perhaps it's justified - even if not transparent.
If you did not, then clearly that's a double problem of lack of transparency and a bad deal.

I would consider the former to be annoying, but the latter to be a "scam".

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got $500 of from MSRP and free frame slider and delivery to my house.

I just found out that it says DEMO in the contract. I understand that it’s my fault signing the document without seeing the word “DEMO” but now I really feel like shit.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
If the bike only had 60 miles on it, it's clean with no problems, and everything you want, forget it. Nobody has died and you have a great bike.
At the same time you could have a conversation with the dealer, especially if there was no mention of it in the discussions leading up to the sale. Maybe try for no payment on the service.
Also you might be more careful in the future.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Maybe selling a new bike is the way they are able to sell a bike with discount without getting into issues from Ducati

In UK 10 years ago on new cars they would do you the same car with like a 20% discount off list if they preregistered it first

Maybe it’s similar?

·
Registered
734 Posts
I got $500 of from MSRP and free frame slider and delivery to my house.

I just found out that it says DEMO in the contract. I understand that it’s my fault signing the document without seeing the word “DEMO” but now I really feel like shit.
then they give you a good discount including the parts.
hey, juts keep enjoying your bike...

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
If the bike only had 60 miles on it, it's clean with no problems, and everything you want, forget it. Nobody has died and you have a great bike.
At the same time you could have a conversation with the dealer, especially if there was no mention of it in the discussions leading up to the sale. Maybe try for no payment on the service.
Also you might be more careful in the future.
I agree with this ^

By all means annoy the dealer and see if they'll budge but in my head it's a very first world problem to have.

·
Registered
981 Posts
In 12 months time it will make exactly zero difference to the resale value or your perceptions of the bike.
Often dealers register demo cars and bikes as part of sales incentive programs from the manufacturer sometimes they are not even ridden or driven by anybody until the purchaser comes along. In your case if it really had 60 miles on the odometer it's been around the block once or twice but nothing major so just enjoy it.
The only thing I would do is go back to the dealer and make sure the warranty started on the day you took delivery not the day the bike was first ridden. If you have the same warranty as everybody else what is there to worry about?
Treat this as a life lesson and move on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you for sharing your opinions, everyone. When I first found out I of panicked for some reason thinking that I was scammed because nobody really explained to me. As one of you already said it's a nice bike and I agree too so I will just continue to enjoy my bike and treat this as a life lesson for me to read the contract thoroughly from now on. :05.18-flustered:

·
Registered
287 Posts
As stated above, I would verify the warranty period. You may not have the full time period.

-Bob

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought a 2016 Classic that was a demo. It had 5 miles on it and was discounted $3,000 because I bought it in late December 2017. Not exactly old inventory but there you go. They were not upfront about it being a demo at all. I found that out because I asked questions. I bought it regardless because it was a great deal and I have no regrets. Oh, btw, since it was a demo, the warranty was begun the day it entered the showroom so I did not have full warranty. I chose to buy the extended warranty. You most likely do not have full warranty depending on how long it had been a demo.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I bought a 2016 Classic that was a demo. It had 5 miles on it and was discounted $3,000 because I bought it in late December 2017. Not exactly old inventory but there you go. They were not upfront about it being a demo at all. I found that out because I asked questions. I bought it regardless because it was a great deal and I have no regrets. Oh, btw, since it was a demo, the warranty was begun the day it entered the showroom so I did not have full warranty. I chose to buy the extended warranty. You most likely do not have full warranty depending on how long it had been a demo.
Thank you for sharing your story. I am waiting for a response from Ducati HQ.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts