Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
I’m guessing it’s just a hardware and software upgrade
I doubt you'll find anyone else who's even considered this. I'm betting it would basically require you to transplant the entire engine management and brake system from a 2019+ bike.

It will be much more cost effective to sell the 2018 and trade up to a 2019 if you HAVE to have a relatively crude cornering ABS setup.
I apologise for being a little obtuse but a cheaper option, would be to just learn not to grab the front brake mid corner.

Take some advanced rider classes or something instead and spend more time on the bike.
Cornering ABS is a nice to have but a bit OTT on the simple little Scrambler.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK - fair enough.

I wondered if it wasn’t just a matter of plugging in the upgraded IMU and software upgrade.

I am in the other camp with stuff like cornering ABS + weight reduction + suspension + carbon wheels etc because they affect the safety / ride quality from 1km and up. Top end horse power is unnecessary for the road. Peak torque and torque curve is heaps more important.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
The added benefits of cornering abs are fairly low imho. Lower than training yourself to anticipate, read the road, be seen, practice you emergency stops, etc. After all, you cant beat physics.

I have the whole swoombang on one of my bikes, and I don’t feel it ever saved my ass. In fact, I typically turn everything off in the canyons because the traction control does weird stuff every now and then. Blips when you don’t expect it to keep the rear wheel rolling. And my other bike bogs down as soon as the front wheel leaves the ground (also caused by traction control, I literally permanently disabled it with a dongle).

Anyway, IMU on a Scrambler most likely requires an UMI, different ecu,throttle by wire, wire loom and maybe abs controller too. Not worth it and no one can tell you how to hook it up.

Buy a bike that already has it 👍🏻

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK.
I appreciate the advice.
I’ll probably go 2019 +.
I’ve got two bikes without any aids.
I ride year round in occasionally sub zero Celsius temps and so am looking for rider aids as part of the package.
the IMU on the 2019 is the only thing keeping me from a svartpilen. It’s a tough choice!

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Ha!

I had a Desert Sled, and now own an Indian FTR and a Vitpilen 701. If I could only have one bike I’d buy the Svartpilen 701. They’re serious fun (and fast btw).

oh and they stopped production, so better get one before fomo kicks in.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It’s rare to see direct comparisons between the svartpilen and Ducati scrambler. I am suspicious that the 701 is the better bike. It’s good value now the price has dropped. I tend to put a lot of kms on bikes so I was thinking the lower compression Ducati scrambler might last longer

·
Registered
936 Posts
It’s rare to see direct comparisons between the svartpilen and Ducati scrambler. I am suspicious that the 701 is the better bike. It’s good value now the price has dropped. I tend to put a lot of kms on bikes so I was thinking the lower compression Ducati scrambler might last longer
I don't think you can use "better" as a description as they are really two different bikes that just happen to have an appeal to a similar market segment. Really I think "more suitable for me" is a more appropriate description. Both bikes, any bike manufactured in recent years will last way longer than the vast majority of owners are going to hold onto it with basic service being carried out so longevity really isn't a consideration either. If I was looking for a lane splitting commuter I'd go with the Svartpilen any day, it would be a hoot to ride in traffic and strangely enough the Full Throttle is more difficult to ride in traffic than my Triumph Tiger because the bars are wider even though the bike itself is narrower and lighter. For the use we mostly put the Scrambler to I think that is the better option over the Husqvarna.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Fair enough. I live in the hills and finish up in a capital city. I start on dirt, do winding bumpy sealed roads, quick highway section then split traffic for sometimes kilometres or miles. It’s gotta do it all. Like I was saying - I do it all year round - sometimes when it’s snowing.
I do it mostly on a w800. But have done it on a 56 MSS velocette and 959 panigale.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Desert Sled.... might sound like the wrong tool for the job but it does all that you are describing well !

·
Registered
802 Posts
I’ve not ridden the Svartpilen but I’ve spent a lot of time on a 690 Duke, I really was not a fan of the single cylinder engine. Compared to the Ducati twin, it felt very dull and characterless. Some people love them but for me, KTM’s big single doesn’t give you that big thumper feeling as they’ve chased high revs and tried to smooth it out.
The result is more lawnmower than big dirt bike. Just a very flat feeling engine to me.

Husky’s are probably better in this respect but you can tell KTM are a dirt bike company, the Duke felt very basic and kinda flimsy, sort of toy like. Lots of rubber and scratchy plastics.

it’s a shame they don’t do a svartpilen with the 790 engine already, though I believe a 901 is on the way.

If you want a bike with all the bells and electronic whistles, have you considered a 790/890 Duke? Just bang on some MT-60 tyres and it would be as capable off road as a normal Scrambler I’m sure.

The Scrambler sort of exists to be the opposite of that bike, as basic as Ducati can get away with and it’s why I love the original versions.

If you want modern tech but classic styling, the big 1200 Boneville is expensive and heavy but fits the bill.

mid you’re commuting all year round, considered an Adv? KTM 790 adv has a full electronics suite. I’d personally go for the Yamaha T7, for the same reason I love the electronic gizmo-less more direct Scrambler.
Electronic throttles always feel numb and detached to me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts