Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it says it all in the title. Just wondering if anyone has polished the tank panels. I was thinking they would look nice polished and lacquered.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have but it's a huge amount of work as they are anodized. You have to soak them in lye to remove the anodizing. You can't sand anodizing off. I'm telling you through experience. (be careful not to burn yourself with the lye) Then after, you'll still have to sand them and then polish them out with red white and black compound sticks. They look pretty cool but you'll probably have to sand and polish out again later. They do look more authentic to the original scrambler.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have but it's a huge amount of work as they are anodized. You have to soak them in lye to remove the anodizing. You can't sand anodizing off. I'm telling you through experience. (be careful not to burn yourself with the lye) Then after, you'll still have to sand them and then polish them out with red white and black compound sticks. They look pretty cool but you'll probably have to sand and polish out again later. They do look more authentic to the original scrambler.
Any pics?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Unfortunately no pictures. I traded my Scrambler in on a Yamaha XSR900 a year ago March, totaled the bike and myself 6 weeks later when I was hit in a parking lot. Was finally recovered enough to ride in November and bought a Yamaha FJ 09. Rather then polishing them I'd recommend buying these after market ones which will probably hold up much better. The stock ones need to be buffed out after 6 months. Easier to spend $300 then do all that work.

https://amsducati.com/ducati-scrambler-chrome-tank-side-panels

1 - 7 of 7 Posts