Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a new classic and I can't see mirrors. I am 6'1 and too tall, just can't seem to get them adjusted to see without having to bend over. Very awkward and uncomfortable to ride without being able to easily see behind me. Anyone else having this problem and figured out a solution?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hello chesterburnet,

Please check this video, it might help you a lot:

Be careful, the mirrors are much more fragile than they look. I already broke one during adjustment :p

·
Registered
560 Posts
Hello

Yes, you may improve the rear view by setting the mirror angle, as explained in this video.
But, the best way to improve the rear view is to find other mirrors, more externally set than OEM.
I've installed LSL Clubman mirrors on my bike, they improved a little bit the rear view. And they look nicer...

·
Registered
44 Posts
There is also one more trick you can try - simply flip the mirrors down. This solution worked perfectly for my Harley and for Scrambler it works as well, but not so perfectly any more.
With standard mirrors setup I can see nothing more than my arms. Once the mirrors are flipped, I can see literally everything behind me, but:
- mirrors are close to the knees and sometimes it might be a problem when turning at very low speed, as the mirrors can simply hit my knees
- if I drive with a passenger, I see nothing than his/ her knees (fortunately I do it extremely rare)

Mirrors like vincelp installed (or as I decided to go for genuine billet aluminium mirrors) mitigate problem with the distance to the knees. I was considering and testing a lot of options and finally I decided to buy genuine billet aluminium mirrors, filliped them down and enjoy the ride!

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm about 6' 1" with wider shoulders and no matter how I adjusted my mirrors, the best I could get was my own shoulders or the shoulder of the road. I saw the help videos, read the instructions, adjusted over and over...it's just a matter of placement.

Last week, I finally replaced them with CRG Arrow knock-offs from eBay. Even those in the up position caught too much shoulder for me so I flipped them. Big difference. Still not perfect, but I can actually see behind me for once.

7/8" Motorcycle Handle Bar End Rearview Side View Mirrors 360° CNC Aluminum L1L7 | eBay

For under $20, you can expect them to be pretty cheaply made. Used gobs of blue loctite on them. No complaints so far.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses. I hadn't pull the rubber cover down far enough to expose the lock nut and thought that there wasn't any more adjustment. Once I found this out I was able to adjust. Went out for a ride along the ocean and it's perfect now. I've only had the bike since December and it's the first time I was totally comfortable.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hello chesterburnet,

Please check this video, it might help you a lot:

Be careful, the mirrors are much more fragile than they look. I already broke one during adjustment :p
Dawid, that was hugely helpful. Thank you!

I'm going to try this adjustment out before I look at replacement mirrors, because mine are absolutely, totally useless at current. I can't see a damn thing in them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hello

Yes, you may improve the rear view by setting the mirror angle, as explained in this video.
But, the best way to improve the rear view is to find other mirrors, more externally set than OEM.
I've installed LSL Clubman mirrors on my bike, they improved a little bit the rear view. And they look nicer...

Are the round mirrors on the Flat Track Pro more externally set? Do they offer better viewing than the standard mirror?
Thanks

·
Registered
234 Posts
Got a new classic and I can't see mirrors. I am 6'1 and too tall, just can't seem to get them adjusted to see without having to bend over. Very awkward and uncomfortable to ride without being able to easily see behind me. Anyone else having this problem and figured out a solution?
I fitted a pair of CRG bar-end mirrors (round, 3", Hindsight with Lanesplitter foldaway feature) because the FT's stock stalk mirrors didn't give me a decent view of anything but my shoulders and were in the wrong place to look anyway. The CRG mirrors are beautifully made and work extremely well. I can see clearly from directly behind me to 'next lane over, about level with my rear wheel' with them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I fitted a pair of CRG bar-end mirrors (round, 3", Hindsight with Lanesplitter foldaway feature) because the FT's stock stalk mirrors didn't give me a decent view of anything but my shoulders and were in the wrong place to look anyway. The CRG mirrors are beautifully made and work extremely well. I can see clearly from directly behind me to 'next lane over, about level with my rear wheel' with them.
Do the CRG Arrow mirrors vibrate and cause a distorted view at highway speeds?
Thanks

·
Registered
234 Posts
Do the CRG Arrow mirrors vibrate and cause a distorted view at highway speeds?
Thanks
Well, I haven't seen them on a bike, but if they're damped as well as the round style, no.

The round style are a lightly convex mirror to get the wide field of view, so you have to get used to seeing what they show in the context of how far away things are. I presume the same would be true for the Arrow mirrors.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would like to share one link from where you can check all type of mirrors. You can check and buy from here Great deals from MC Motoparts | eBay stores

·
Registered
9 Posts
Home made "extenders" ! I'm 6' and after changing to the ProTaper bar mirrors became useless! Its a quick fix until I'll find the"right" mirrors.
Mc MasteCarr p/n 90202A442 M8x1.25 round coupling nut
Loctite, locked the coupling nut on the male thread of the mirror stem
I would like to share one link from where you can check all type of mirrors. You can check and buy from here Great deals from MC Motoparts | eBay stores
, M8 thread into the mirror itself.
30mm M8 bolts ,cut off head.
Reuse the original black M8 lock-nut
1/2" dia heat shrink tube, blk. Shrink the black tube on the exposed area of the new extension.OPTIONAL: blk satin paint.
See attached pics, they should help.
IMG_1415.JPG
IMG_1416.JPG

1 - 13 of 13 Posts